Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Liquid and food is not dangerous, but the popular ice cold beverages served with your enchiladas, pizza, fried food, chicken wings or heavy pastas are not helping your stomach digest the food.
A warm soup is fine, comforting your stomach, feels nice when eaten. But flush chicken Alfredo with an ice cold beer and all that fat turns to a stone, and actually just before that, it sticks to your stomach lining and stay there for hours... till your digestive juices return and the inside temperature gets normal for a healthy digestion.
There are plenty ICD-9 CM codes for that: lets start with 787.1/536.3/789.0 etc...
Heartburn (787.1)? Possible regardless of fluid intake with meals.

Gastroparesis (536.3--paralysis/delayed emptying of the stomach)? I see this often as a sequela of diabetes. Again, fluids with meals play no role.

Abdominal pain (789.0x)? Separate from the stomach, still not sufficient evidence or outcome of a causative link between beverages/liquids of any temperature imbibed with solid food and a definitive medical disorder. Yes, I do see the smiley for levity, but the OP brought up something that is not in evidence in any medical literature that I can see.

I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult, but I've never observed an EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy) report attesting to anything remotely like the scenario you've offered, with food 'sticking' to the walls of the stomach as you describe. Digestive juices don't 'disappear' between meals, and the stomach is never completely empty, either. When the EGD provider reports findings of retained food, they're typically talking about a patient who has been NPO for >12 hours in preparation for the study, and usually a diagnosis of gastroparesis or other functional disorder is given.

With all due respect, I just don't think the subject of this thread (nor the myriad conjectures) has any correlation to scientific fact.

/my 2¢

Excellent article, I highly suggest it for anyone confused about the subject at hand, and its interesting origins:

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/i...ter-digestion/

And just for a laugh:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar...cold_water.htm

Last edited by rayneinspain; 02-25-2012 at 09:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I disagree.

Drinking beverages with the meal dilutes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach and can result in GERD and heart burn.

That having been said, I always drink with my meals. Have't had any problems myself yet.

20yrsinBranson

This sounds applicable to me.
I think I've experienced both GERD and heartburn and I have always had a lot of water with meals.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
She told us that her husband never ate breakfast before a day of fishing, only drank one beer. It was my first breakfast beer.

What was her husband's name?

The Doors - Roadhouse Blues [1970] - YouTube

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
I usually drink a good deal of water before a meal, but even during a meal, I HAVE to have some kind of cold, fruit flavored drink.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,385,138 times
I will have a beverage on the table with my meal but rarely will I drink more than a couple of sips while eating because I want the taste of my food to linger longer.

It's good however to have something to drink handy in case you swallowed incorrectly and need to wash something down.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I actually try and drink at least 2 32 oz mugs of water during the day so that by the time dinner comes around I am not as hungry and I don't over eat. Tried it this past week and it worked. lost 1.8 lbs. I'll have a small glass of diet pepsi with dinner though.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Sounds like BS to me.

Drinking with my meals makes me eat less as it fills up my stomach with liquid.
Same, always feel full and bloated if I drink with my meal.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,685,123 times
Dunno... after reading all the plus & minuses, the goods, z bads & z uglies... if it is a proven medical facts or not....

The way I see it... I love food. My family love food.
And "drinking with a meal" do fill you up (fact)...
Works for people who wants to diet
BUT
will never work for a family like mine who focus-eat during a main mealtime & prefer to drink either long before or after a meal (so as to enjoy that meal without "blanding out" the taste of washing it down in a quick; except unless one needs that drink b/c they are choking). We do spend quite a long time eating & enjoying the family's company usually.

P.S. To add to the observation on the europe not drinking w/ a meal to make less fat people (proven fact or no)... my family as much as they love food are not fat people either.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Dunno... after reading all the plus & minuses, the goods, z bads & z uglies... if it is a proven medical facts or not....

The way I see it... I love food. My family love food.
And "drinking with a meal" do fill you up (fact)...
Works for people who wants to diet
BUT
will never work for a family like mine who focus-eat during a main mealtime & prefer to drink either long before or after a meal (so as to enjoy that meal without "blanding out" the taste of washing it down in a quick; except unless one needs that drink b/c they are choking). We do spend quite a long time eating & enjoying the family's company usually.

P.S. To add to the observation on the europe not drinking w/ a meal to make less fat people (proven fact or no)... my family as much as they love food are not fat people either.
being fat or skinny or just the ideal weight has more to do with intake of calories and out put than when we drink or eat..

Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,725 times
Sorrry but this advice comes from a CA MD. Only rediculousness in living mandates comes from that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink