Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times

Advertisements

I usually have either iced tea or water with meals, although I rarely drink an entire glass. I find what your doctor told you kind of odd. As others said, liquid fills you up and makes you full.

When my sons were little, our pediatrician told me not to let them have drinks with meals because they were not good eaters and very, very thin. They would drink a lot, especially milk, though at meal time. She said it was making them full, so they weren't hungry. Once we took away the beverages, they did eat more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
I always drink while eating. Eating without something to drink doesn't seem right to me. Of course, it's probably because that's the culture I grew up in and all I've ever known.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Me, well either a glass of wine, or sparkling water; somethimes a soda.
I read or was told that too much liquid in your stomach reduces the acids needed for good digestion. Therefore limit or wait until after the meal?
That's all I know.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
I drink a lot of non-sugary liquids with each meal, and I'm down from a 44 waist to my goal of 36. (I did it the old-fashioned way)

Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I was at a doctor appointment the other day and she told me I (people in general) shouldn't drink beverages with meals as doing so causes us to eat more (too much) as food goes through the stomach faster.

She also said (one of the reasons) people in Europe are thin (is) because they tend not to drink beverages with meals.

Does this sound right to you?

PS. I did my due diligence and couldn't find a thread similar to this but it isn't an easy thread to search for using key words.
I disagree.

Drinking beverages with the meal dilutes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach and can result in GERD and heart burn.

That having been said, I always drink with my meals. Have't had any problems myself yet.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-24-2012, 11:33 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Our family do not have the habit of drinking beverage during a meal time...
usually it is a before or an after meal thingy unless socializing with that occasional wine to go with the meal thingy.

For the extra spicy times... we do all dive for the occasional pitcher of water to help with the meal.

Oh and we drink more with meal times during summer than winter times as well... still mostly just an iced water.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:58 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think you must have visited your doctor on "opposite day" because everything your doc told you is opposite to what I've always been told.

I've never been to Europe, myself, but from what I've heard they certainly do drink ale and wine with their meals. Sometimes even at breakfast.

And I've always heard that you should drink a glass of water before your meals because it makes you feel full faster.
Years ago, many years ago, the boyfriend and I rented an apartment for a week at the beach in NJ. We spoke with the elderly landlord daily (prayers and best wishes Mrs. Groslinger). One evening we told her that we would spend the next day on a boat fishing. Early the next morning, she met us in the driveway and gave each of us a can of beer. She told us that her husband never ate breakfast before a day of fishing, only drank one beer. It was my first breakfast beer.

I usually drink something with a meal--not much, just enough to wash it down.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
I think it would make you eat less, if you drink with a meal, because you would fill up with quicker with the liquid.
I usually drink something before or after a meal, but it usually just water, tea or coffee - maybe wine for a special meal.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I always have a drink when I eat my dinner, especially when eating anything with pasta or bread, or anything spicy.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:30 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,738,053 times
It appears to be a myth:

Is It Dangerous To Drink Water With Meals? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Water after meals: Does it disturb digestion? - MayoClinic.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink