Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeland121 View Post
Alright, I know why milk is located in the back so that you see everything on your way there but what is that process or theory called? I have to write a paper on a theory and I thought this could be a good topic. Milk is the main thing that comes to mind, but there is also cereal which is placed at the bottom of shelves so kids are more accessible to it. Anyways, I need to figure out the name within a couple of days. Any help is much appreciated.
Interview a grocery store manager. We're not here to do your homework for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
for those of you who think this is hogwash, the VP or whatever of walmart stores has said in a documentary that milk is placed at the back so that people browse through the rest of the store on their way there, because it's one of their most popular items.
And that's because he believes the myth, not because it is true.

At my local WalMart store the milk is located near the main entrance. It's the televisions and video gear that are located at the rear.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
And yet, in the stores I shop at......the ice cream is always in the middle of the store.....and that includes Wal*Mart.

Not smart, IMO.

I always start shopping on one side of the store and work my way through the aisles to the other side of the store.

Many times, when I pass the ice cream, I think about getting some.......BUT......I don't want it to start melting while I work my way through the rest of the aisles, so I pass it by.......and then......when I am done......the urge to pick up that ice cream is gone or I don't want to bother going back to the middle to pick it up.

What ARE they thinking?

Needless to say, I very rarely ever buy ice cream.....and that's a good thing. LOL

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
Advertising purposes. Sometimes ALL you need to get IS Milk, but if you only just bought milk the store wouldn't make profits, so they place it there so on your way to get the one thing you came there fore, milk, you might grab other things which in 99% of the cases you DO NOT NEED!

Its called: "Marketing Plotting"....really...there isn't any other way to call it. Remember how before we used to have "dairy stores, meet stores" etc...now that we no longer have that, and everything is lumped into a grocery store....grocers have to make sure they sell the highest priced items at any cost....I told my kids I refuse to buy a picture of any packaging...if they want "Woody" I'll get them a Woody toy, and not a box of cereals that has a picture of Woody on it!

Title it: "The road of emptying our wallets on useless items"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopeland121 View Post
Alright, I know why milk is located in the back so that you see everything on your way there but what is that process or theory called? I have to write a paper on a theory and I thought this could be a good topic. Milk is the main thing that comes to mind, but there is also cereal which is placed at the bottom of shelves so kids are more accessible to it. Anyways, I need to figure out the name within a couple of days. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:42 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
Annie53 - I agree. So many times I have done the same thing. I think I have done it 99% of the time with fresh flowers, which are placed right near the "entrance" side of the store. When I see them I think, when I'm done with the food shopping, I'll come back to this side of the store and get some, but usually I just forget. I think the plants and flowers should be near the exit registers. They most likely would see an increase in sales.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:56 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,667,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's not true. That's a myth. Sometimes it's at the side, occasionally near the front. It's placed on an outside wall near a cooler location because it's heavy and there's a lot of inventory movement. That just happens to fall in back in a lot of locations.

Sorry, I think you need a new topic for your homework assignment.
That's not true, I worked in retail management and the most bought items are placed deep within the store, so that you impulse buy, all the way to your destination.

http://brokensecrets.com/2010/09/08/...on-psychology/

Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
Obviously you don't work in Advertising/Marketing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
The various "market" theories are nothing more than rationalizations/justifications for layouts.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And that's because he believes the myth, not because it is true.

At my local WalMart store the milk is located near the main entrance. It's the televisions and video gear that are located at the rear.

That's how most of their stores that are not SuperCenters are designed. All the groceries are in a section up front. All of the SuperCenters I've ever been in, and I've been in way too many in too many states, it's been at the back of the grocery side. TV's are in the rear of all the SuperCenters as well, in the back of the regular part of the store.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asitshouldbe View Post
That's not true, I worked in retail management and the most bought items are placed deep within the store, so that you impulse buy, all the way to your destination.
I did not say there is no such thing as marketing psychology. I said there is no truth to the myth that milk is always placed at the back of the store for those reasons.

And the simple truth of that statement is revealed if you just look around at real world stores... the proposition is obviously false, because only some stores have their dairy at the back. Some have it in the front. Some have it at the side. It's the question itself that is flawed.

This is one of those interesting cases where a popular myth is so widely believed that people literally do not believe their own eyes.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:04 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Reason 1, so you have to walk through the whole store to get to the milk. For anyone who says that this is hogwash, I worked at a grocery for 6 years so I'm not just quoting something I read. Whether or not it works from a marketing standpoint is a different matter all together.

Reason 2, it is much easier to build the refrigeration equipment into the back of the store than the front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink