Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2008, 07:35 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times

Advertisements

I think it's going to be a clean out the fridge night. We have leftover goulash, a cooked Cornish hen, a lemon jello/peach/pecan mold, and I'm sure a few other things in there that need to be eaten.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,043,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I am finding this out Charley! It's odd because as a child and young adult I was not very fond of chicken. It has only been in recent years that I have developed a taste for it. And yes, you are right, there are so many ways to fix chicken that it is an amazing main dish, healthier and costs less. I am very slowly but surely trying new ways to cook chicken with all the great ideas here!
We have a sort of a farmer's supermarket about an hour north of where we live that has an amazing selection fresh fruits and vegetables year round. They also have a meat / poultry / fish section with all fresh stuff. We can get really fresh boneless chicken breasts for sometimes as low as $1.69 a pound ... so we do lots of different chicken dishes.

It's worth the extra gas to drive up there once a month and stock up on really good groceries. (Then on the way back, we stop at Walmart for the canned, boxed and packaged stuff.)

Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 AM

48,124 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
I think it's going to be a clean out the fridge night. We have leftover goulash, a cooked Cornish hen, a lemon jello/peach/pecan mold, and I'm sure a few other things in there that need to be eaten.

Hmmmm moldy pecans in your refrigerator? See thats what gives Florida a bad name.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
I have a BRAND NEW slow cooker to try out, a piece of beef chuck or chicken breast on the bone, some veggies and a cupboard full of herbs, spices, stuffing... all sorts.

Now all I have to do is find an idea!!!

There is a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale in the fridge so maybe a beef in ale stew with a crust, or dumplings....

Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I have a BRAND NEW slow cooker to try out, a piece of beef chuck or chicken breast on the bone, some veggies and a cupboard full of herbs, spices, stuffing... all sorts.

There is a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale in the fridge so maybe a beef in ale stew with a crust, or dumplings....
How about bbq beef? chuck roast,bottle of bbq sauce a bit of water to cover and sloooow cook. Add some coleslaw and buns and you're off!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:07 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How about bbq beef? chuck roast,bottle of bbq sauce a bit of water to cover and sloooow cook. Add some coleslaw and buns and you're off!
Nice idea! I have a pile of bread in the freezer that needs using up - so that could work!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:09 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,943,791 times
I just "assigned" BF to make Gem's cobbler -- only with fresh peaches instead because that is what we have at the house. Can't wait to try it when I get home!!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Karate night and hubby is still out of town... it is going to be a fly by the seat of the pants night... haven't a clue... most likely lettin' my mom feed us

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 AM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,217 times
I am going to have a grocery list a mile long! I keep going back pages and planning dinners weeks in advance. Lacy your chicken. Gems Cobbler wil fit right in at Thanks Giving (wonder if you could use cranberry sauce for filling?) Jimj I like your BBQ Roast idea. I will pull the slow cooker down to remind myself for tomorrow. I will not be cooking tonigt. I work and Hubby will have to fend for himself
I tried to get on here early enough to wish you all a good day! I am not a big morning person ha ha! I am a really good sleeper

Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post

A few nights ago I made a beef roast in the slow cooker, which turned out great.

First I put powdered onion soup mix into the bottom of the crockpot. (No liquid.) I placed the beef on top of that. Last, I added a small jar of grape jelly on top of the beef. Once during the day I turned the roast over, so the other side of it was sitting in the liquid that it made.

I cooked it all day on "low".

When I was ready to serve, I whisked some flour into the liquid in the crockpot and served it as a gravy.

It sounds strange with the grape jelly, but it came out really good. DH had THIRDS and I never saw him do that in all the years we are married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink