Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 09:20 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times

Advertisements

Amber, your eggrolls sound really great, the problem is there is no way I could eat just one! You're a better woman than I.

Tonight we had avocado, mozzarella & cheddar sandwiches on sourdough baguette. I put some shredded romaine dressed in balsamic vinaigrette in each sandwich, YUM!

Sweet and sour cucumber slices on the side.

It's still summer in Texas. When can I make spaghetti sauce and mom's good brown hash? When, God, when???

Old 09-21-2008, 09:38 PM

431 posts, read 1,203,088 times
I am so happy, today I found my favorite Mediterranean (this one is Moroccan) spice, I've been waiting for a long time to find it locally.

Among all the things I found today was a jar of organic tomato, basil and garlic sauce Made in Italy, can't tell you how good it taste.

The name of the spice is Marrakesh Za'atar... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za'atar
Za'atar has such an exotic aroma.
I've learned first of this spice from a Spanish lady, who lived in Malaga, Spain and then she moved to Morocco.

She made the most delicious Moroccan Crostini using this spice... so tonight I introduced my husband to the Crostini and he loved it
What I've changed was the ham (they use lamb pastrami) and no olives.

Mozzarella, Ham and Caramelized Onion Crostini
Under the ham there is melted mozzarella and the bread is toasted with olive oil mixed with Za'atar, and sautéed chopped green, red pepper, salt and black pepper to taste.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/Cuisinette/Appetizers/100_5730.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-21-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Has anyone baked using a silicone bundt pan? Do you grease or flour it? I want to make a Kahlua Devil's Food Cake later this week in it. (Can you tell I love Kahlua? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post

Have you used this with silicone?
You have to season the pan first. Brush the inside with oil and place it in the oven at 350F for about 20 minutes.

Then take it out, let it cool a bit and then take a paper towel and pad. Don't ever use Spray with silicone, unless you want to see your cake boiling in the pan. The alcohol reacts with the silicone... and what fun that is.

No need to oil the next time you use it.
If you don't season it will stick to your cake.

What ever you do, do not use any "scratchy" object to clean with, treat silicone as you treat a non-stick pan. They are very sensitive to scratches.

Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
There is a really really good cake-pan release product - I'll remember the name some time soon I'm sure... just give me a moment....

aha!

Cake Release - Wilton
Let me tell you a better one and cheaper from a grandmother's cuisine secrets... what you think we did before Wilton?

If it is a white cake... mix equal amounts of flour, butter and oil until it makes a paste, brush the pan with it.
If it is chocolate cake then mix 1T (1/2 flour & 1/2 cocoa powder) with 1T butter and 1T oil. Mix and brush.

You have the best cake release ever.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,798 times
Tonight was left over chicken alfredo. Tomorrow will probably be left-overs as well since I have a few still in the fridge.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,388,477 times
Unbelievable! I've had to read nearly two hundred pages to get to the newest ones. It really is a mess to stay away from this thread for a longer period

Yesterday my cousin and her bf came over for dinner. They brought very delicious things with them. They stuffed one French baguette with cheese and bacon and another one with garlic butter and herbs. They also brought pork fillet baked in a bread (sour dough bread) which was very delicious. And we fried some steaks and onions in a skillet.
I went looking for mushrooms with DH yesterday so those went into the pan as well along with sour cream and herbs. I was so stuffed afterwards I even didn't want ice cream for dessert

Tonight will be leftover steak and I have some white cabbage which I will fry with some onion cubes and bacon cubes. Then I always add cream and sour cream and let it bubble for a while.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Morning all! It's still dark out--oh my! I just cannot sleep in much anymore. Probably cause I fall asleep so early in the evening! There just isn't anything much on TV to watch and I'm not to big on movies so I fall asleep early. Oh well, mornings are the best time anyhow!
I've noticed the leaves starting to turn colors on my one of my older trees already---so fall is definately here! It's actually a little cold in the mornings too--I love that. I take the dog for his walk at 8:30 every morning and now I'm not coming home all sweaty!
I'll have to report back a bit later about dinner but tonight is hubbys turn, I hope! More coffee for me right now!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
MM, that sounds like a great dinner! I know, this thread does fly and it takes a long time to catch up if you miss it for any amount of time! But it's still good reading! It's great seeing you here!
Do you go out to the store to get mushrooms? I only ask because the other day I was talking to some guys that were out collecting wild mushrooms around the lake here. I decided to look up edible mushrooms in the area and although most are safe the ones that are poison are pretty dangerous and they have no antidote for them! Yikes!! Guess I stick to buying them at the store!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 09-22-2008 at 05:03 AM..

Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Morning Cyn and all. Dark and very windy here.

Sounds delicious MM. I'm not sure about tonight. Froze the extra sausage n peppers for another time.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:42 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,388,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
MM, that sounds like a great dinner! I know, this thread does fly and it takes a long time to catch up if you miss it for any amount of time! But it's still good reading! It's great seeing you here!
Do you go out to the store to get mushrooms? I only ask because the other day I was talking to some guys that were out collecting wild mushrooms around the lake here. I decided to look up edible mushrooms in the area and although most are safe the ones that are poison are pretty dangerous and they have no antidote for them! Yikes!! Guess I stick to buying them at the store!
We always go out into the forests here in our area to collect mushrooms. There are soooooooo many and I love looking for them most. I don't like to eat them and to clean them but being outside and finding them is great. My parents and grandparents took me into the forest to go looking for mushrooms when I started to walk so I'm sure what to look for and where to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink