Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2008, 05:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

That's what these guys I talked to told me too. They are from another country and in their country it is common to collect mushrooms. They were sure of what they were looking for and said the flavor couldn't be beat because of their being so fresh. I knew a woman in CA who also collected her own fresh mushrooms. I would not have a clue what to look for--and so many look alike! Just my luck I'd pick one of that 2% that is poison! I envy you for knowing what to look for and being able to enjoy not only going out to collect them but to enjoy eating something so fresh!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:55 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,010,341 times
My fear of a poison mushroom would spoil the meal. I once gathered what I was sure was a morel....but after sampling just a tiny bit I noticed my lips were numb and I had a swelling in my throat.......I went back to the Identification book and sure enough there is a morel look alike that is poisonous.

My DP's aunt (in Japan) grows her own shiitake mushrooms....so if I were going to eat wild mushrooms I would try to get some innoculated logs and grow my own....but leave foraging to the experts.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:07 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,388,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My fear of a poison mushroom would spoil the meal. I once gathered what I was sure was a morel....but after sampling just a tiny bit I noticed my lips were numb and I had a swelling in my throat.......I went back to the Identification book and sure enough there is a morel look alike that is poisonous.

My DP's aunt (in Japan) grows her own shiitake mushrooms....so if I were going to eat wild mushrooms I would try to get some innoculated logs and grow my own....but leave foraging to the experts.

Wow, that is really dangerous. I can understand that you wouldn't go wandering around collecting what looks like edible mushrooms.
DH never went to look for mushrooms before he got to know me more than 10 years ago. Now he's crazy about fall to arrive so we can go on a hunt

Old 09-22-2008, 06:11 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
Good Morning.since the discussion regarding cake pansis still on going may I just add that instead of greasing and flouring cake pans, brad pans and such I just use PAM and instead of flour I use sugar.
The reason I do this is if I am eating cake or whatever, sometimes the flour doesn't dissolve and it is quite a surprise to bite into flour so I use sugar instead and it has the same effect.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:27 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Morning all! I have missed a lot this weekend! I just peeked in and out a couple of times....

I have that PAM with Flour and I find it to be really clumpy... I like to just grease and flour my pan myself rather than use it. Just my two cents...

Got a sick kid today, Pre K drop Off/pick up, some Brownie Troop work, and a PTA meeting tonight... some frozen chicken breasts and the start of Wt Watchers for hubby... what to do? I will be spending what little free time I have searching out some low points chicken meals wich can include tomatoes, brocolli, chicken, potatoes, corn, FF Chedder, mushrooms... and that is about all I have on hand until I can get to do my groceries LOL Don't you just love that game?

Off to the Pediatrician's office! Have a good morning!!!!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I found this recipe called chicken thigh saltimbocca that I'm going to try tonight.

You pound chicken thighs, then put a piece of cheese and a sage leaf in the middle, before rolling it up and wrapping it with bacon. I don't see how it could be bad..

Old 09-22-2008, 07:47 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuisinette View Post
I am so happy, today I found my favorite Mediterranean (this one is Moroccan) spice, I've been waiting for a long time to find it locally.

Among all the things I found today was a jar of organic tomato, basil and garlic sauce Made in Italy, can't tell you how good it taste.

The name of the spice is Marrakesh Za'atar... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Za'atar
Za'atar has such an exotic aroma.
I've learned first of this spice from a Spanish lady, who lived in Malaga, Spain and then she moved to Morocco.

She made the most delicious Moroccan Crostini using this spice... so tonight I introduced my husband to the Crostini and he loved it
What I've changed was the ham (they use lamb pastrami) and no olives.

Mozzarella, Ham and Caramelized Onion Crostini
Under the ham there is melted mozzarella and the bread is toasted with olive oil mixed with Za'atar, and sautéed chopped green, red pepper, salt and black pepper to taste.
That is a wonderful spice - I think the blend has hyssop in which grew in my garden in UK, and I used it in lamb and salad dishes - where you might use rosemary or mint - fantastic aroma, and the flowers attracted 100's of bees and butterflies. I am sure it would grow in Texas, I'll have to look for some!

I have a recipe somewhere for lamb with pomegranate and mint, which is fabulous with hyssop or zaatar....now, where is it.....

Talk of Moroccan food reminds me - where can you get Harissa paste?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Good Morning.since the discussion regarding cake pansis still on going may I just add that instead of greasing and flouring cake pans, brad pans and such I just use PAM and instead of flour I use sugar.
The reason I do this is if I am eating cake or whatever, sometimes the flour doesn't dissolve and it is quite a surprise to bite into flour so I use sugar instead and it has the same effect.
On chocolate cakes I use pam and cocoa instead of flour and have used sugar but it tends to carmelize.
Since it's rainy and cold tonight is jewish penecillin or commonly called Mahtzo ball soup with carrots from our garden, chicken and celery. Got to get the chicken boiling soon!

Old 09-22-2008, 07:56 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,249,488 times
Debsi, I have tried a recipe similar to yours with provolone and prosciutto, breaded and baked, absolutely delicious.

Not sure what I am fixing tonight, we have so many leftovers from the weekend. I will check back with you later. Have a great morning everyone.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I found this recipe called chicken thigh saltimbocca that I'm going to try tonight.

You pound chicken thighs, then put a piece of cheese and a sage leaf in the middle, before rolling it up and wrapping it with bacon. I don't see how it could be bad..
Sounds absolutely divine!!! Thinks: I'll put those ingredients on my list for this week.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink