Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 07:52 AM

849 posts, read 1,953,358 times

Advertisements

Good Morning to you all. elston, make sure you do not deprive yourself from everything you love to eat. The important thing is portion control. Good thing going for you is that you don't seem to be a picky eater. Since you will always have white rice and two vegetables now, it will be easy for you to eat right. Miso soup is good, too. You'll do great!

Too early to think of dinner yet. Gotta get kids off to school...

Last edited by nikkzone; 10-21-2008 at 08:03 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think this year I am going to take a lobster gazpacho for an appetizer....it will be impressive in a pedestal glass bowl with all the beautiful multi colored vegetables...(I will leave a lot of it chunky not pureed) with lovely lobster tail medalions and pieces of claw meat...and perhaps with some Absolut Citron on the side for anyone who wants to add just a splash of extra cheer to their appetizer.
Goodness me - that sounds amazing! And low-fat!

I have a theory about dieting; you have to indulge yourself, no deprivation allowed. Unfortunately that means going shopping .
I bought myself an ipod, a nike shoe sensor and some books on itunes - now I walk fast (or even run) for around 40-60 minutes every morning, listening to my book, and I'm back home by 8.30am. That's 500 extra calories a day burned - a good-sized dinner!

And I buy myself lovely things to eat, like shrimp, lobster, smoked fish, avacodo, Italian anti-pasti - luxurious things that are also low fat. Sounds expensive but I'm sure the cost evens out as I'm not buying cheese, cream, butter, kettle chips and cookies!

BTW Corn Cakes (Orville Redenbacher’s) are much nicer than rice cakes...

Old 10-21-2008, 09:10 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
Morning all, cooking some sort of casserole with leftover pork chops from last night. Football and karate class tonight so it will be something that reheats easy. Hope everyone has a great day.

Elston, good luck with your new eating "lifestyle" (we won't say the diet word either). Remember everything in moderation. From the way you normally cook, I think you will be able to come up with some great tasting low fat/cal recipes that will be to die for. (You definitely will have to share).

Old 10-21-2008, 09:32 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Roast pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, TBA vegetable (maybe roasted parsnips, thanks to the poster from a few days ago), and a salad.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Holy Lord, Elston, I think I need a cigarette after reading about that gazpacho (and I don't even smoke).

Old 10-21-2008, 09:37 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,798 times
Good morning all. I got a phone call this morning from our neighbor, who has noticed that between work, college, and taking me to my doctor's appointments, my husband hasn't had time to rake, so she and her 5 year old daughter have volunteered to rake the leaves in my yard. I'm so touched by their willingness to help.

Tonight I'm thinking breakfast, some sort of steak and egg skillet.... although it would be better if I had peppers I guess I can make do without.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:47 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Gentlearts, You've just given me an idea for my dinner. I've had some parsnips in my fridge for a little while now and just keep moving them to the side. What a waste. I also had read about the different ways to use parsnips and thought about it but keep forgetting.......so thanks to you I think that will be a part of our dinner tonight. I took out some cube steaks now I just have to figure out how I want to prepare those and have some mashed potatoes and sliced fresh tomatoes and dinner will be all figured out! Once again this thread has made my life a little easier!

Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Holy Lord, Elston, I think I need a cigarette after reading about that gazpacho (and I don't even smoke).
Funny! It does sound delicous!

The BF is finally home, and after a week of eating and eating and eating, he feels the need to detox. So we are going to grill chicken breastsa and have them with a nice big ole salad. Still have some cukes, tomatoes, and peppers from the garden we can toss in.

Last night we looked at houses again -- and found one we really liked -- but now he is not sure he wants to buy a house here because chances are we will be moving back east (to MI or NY) within two years. Going home made him homesick!!

We got tamales afterward.......good stuff.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:32 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Oh wow! I'm really going out on a limb tonight! I'm making "2" new dishes! I'm making cubed steaks with green and red bell peppers with Dijon mustard and Worchestershire sauce. Then I am roasting parsnips and carrots together (I found out I only had two parsnips left). Then the rest is what I already said--mashed potatoes and sliced fresh tomatoes. This should be interesting and hopefully good! Wish me luck....................

Old 10-21-2008, 10:36 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh wow! I'm really going out on a limb tonight! I'm making "2" new dishes! I'm making cubed steaks with green and red bell peppers with Dijon mustard and Worchestershire sauce. Then I am roasting parsnips and carrots together (I found out I only had two parsnips left). Then the rest is what I already said--mashed potatoes and sliced fresh tomatoes. This should be interesting and hopefully good! Wish me luck....................
They both sound delicious. Roasting root vegetables together is always a good idea. Instead of mashing the potatoes, you can also roast them along with the carrots and the parsnips. Drizzle a little olive over all of them and roast for about 20-30 minutes and they should be terrific. The carrots will caramelize and the whole combination will taste great.

When we roast root veggies, we also add red beets, golden beets, fennel and all kinds of goodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink