Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 05:43 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times

Advertisements

Good MORNING! Nice thin layer of white on the deck this AM....just the deck and roofs of the houses so far.... we shall see if it sticks anywhere else through the day.... UGH KARATE NIGHT.... Mom and Dad are out of town so we won't be heading to their house like we sometimes do on Wed.... I think it is going to be homemade chicken nuggets (basically I just cut breasts up into small pc and roll 'em FF Italian Dressing then in bread crumbs and bake).... usually one of the FEW things my five year old will actually eat for dinner.... BROCOLLI.... corn....I have some fruit cups they can choose from.....

Today is so busy- I have so much running around to do- I think I might be betting myself back on cofffee.... I know tsk tsk tsk..... it's just that added little kick in the pants it gives me. I know I am a GO GO GO kind of person anyway.... but man I miss my coffee.... when I was drinking it to toast up with my daughter and cut the chill- it was so amazing the amount of stuff I was able to accomplish! I actually got my duff off the sofa and cleaned the whole second floor..... Ok, now I sound like I have a problem......LOL that wasn't how I meant for it to sound.... LOL...........

Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Morning all-Amber can I adopt you???????

Glad all had a great night. Not sure what's happening here.

Happy Weds. all.
Ha! Now you see why hubby and I love her cooking! The best part..she "loves" to cook! I told her I'll do all the clean-up if she cooks but she even does the clean up. Can't get better then that! She spoiled us rotten during her visit here. It's probably the only time since we moved that I actually gained some weight and throughly enjoyed every minute of it!
I told her if she moves here (praying on that one) that I'll do all her laundry, watch the baby (happily) and she can do the cooking.
Last night hubby beer-battered the zucchini and fried it..oh it was so good! Only on my second cup of coffee so I have no ideas for dinner as of yet...will report back later!

Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Good morning, all. It's still early, but I'm thinking homemade pizza sounds good for tonight, with ...pepperoni, green pepper, mushroom and fresh tomato. I need to check to see if my basil has been zapped by frost yet.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:29 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
Happy Wednesday, all - we're almost halfway through the week. Another chilly morning here, but we're supposed to get a blistering heat wave, all the way up into the mid-60's, for Hallowe'en. Lucky kids won't have to wear their snowsuits over their costumes... I remember the monumental battles I had with my mom over that issue when I was a youngster!

Supper tonight is pretty easy to predict. We're meeting up with good friends downtown at a great little Italian restaurant, after which the four of us will walk across the street to the Overture Center to enjoy a couple of hours of political satire by the Capitol Steps. So it'll be pasta with a side of camaraderie and a dessert of hilarity, which beats the heck out of a sandwich and another three-hour video lecture about auditing.

Have a great day, all, see you later.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Good morning everyone. I really love to cook although I am no gourmet. I haven't been cooking anything fancy in awhile. My husband and I just finished building our own house and we just moved in last week. We've been really busy and I've gotten really lazy with the cooking. Lots of pancakes

I have boneless chicken breasts in the refrigerator. Tonight I will make my husband "chicken cutlets". I will dip them in an egg batter then roll them in Italian seasoned bread crumbs and fry in canola oil. He'll get corn.

I am having flattened chicken breast filled with a slice of ham and swiss cheese, roll it up, stick a couple of toothpicks through and sauté in olive oil with steamed broccoli and carrots.

I really need to start eating better. So no more pancakes for me for awhile.

Lisa

Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
I'm having chicken too. Mine will be in the form of chicken and yellow rice. As for the veggies I'm debating. A tomato plus one more of something green and it most likely will be sweet peas. Another great night for baking and cooking with such cool weather. Rounding up chili makings today and will cook a pot tonight for tomorrow night. That's the plan for now. Let's hope Murphy is not active for awhile. He needs to hibernate and give me a break for a few months.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
I have yet another question for all you good cooks....My hubby saw this show on the Food Network about htis restaurant that serves waffles and chicken with syrup. He would really like me to make it and give it a try. Since I don't have a waffle maker it would have to be pancakes but how would I make fried chicken with skinless and boneless chicken breasts?? I'll be honest--I have never made a basic fried chicken and don't have a clue how to make a batter that would end up nice and crispy without skin on a chicken.....any help here would be so appreciated!

Old 10-29-2008, 07:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Sounds like a good time to try Shredded Wheat chicken, Cyn!!

It's basically oven-fried. Most oven-fried recipes have you dip in butter instead of buttermilk, which is why mine is much leaner.

I don't know what we're having for dinner tonight, I really don't. I don't have anything thawed. Maybe it's Pizza Villa night...

Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have yet another question for all you good cooks....My hubby saw this show on the Food Network about htis restaurant that serves waffles and chicken with syrup. He would really like me to make it and give it a try. Since I don't have a waffle maker it would have to be pancakes but how would I make fried chicken with skinless and boneless chicken breasts?? I'll be honest--I have never made a basic fried chicken and don't have a clue how to make a batter that would end up nice and crispy without skin on a chicken.....any help here would be so appreciated!
From Emeril:

Oven Fried Pecan Chicken Breast

2 teaspoons olive oil
6 (6-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed
1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups finely crushed cornflakes (about 4 1/2 cups uncrushed cereal)
2/3 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a small baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly oil the foil with the olive oil. Set aside.
Season the chicken evenly on both sides with the Essence, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the honey, mustard, and cayenne and stir well. In a shallow dish combine the cornflakes and pecans and stir well. Brush both sides of each piece of chicken with the honey mixture, then dredge in the cornflake mixture. Place the chicken breasts on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with a sharp knife. Serve immediately.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

OR:

Sage Fried Chicken and Bacon Waffles

Prep Time: 15 min Inactive Prep Time: hr min Cook Time: 20 min Level:
Intermediate Serves:
1 large serving Sage Fried Chicken:
2 (8-ounce) airline chicken breasts (boneless, skin-on breast with the first wing joint attached)
1 egg, beaten
2 cups cornflakes
2 teaspoons freshly minced sage (mixed with cornflakes)
Bacon Waffles:
Nonstick cooking spray
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
2 tablespoons salt
3 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup melted, unsalted butter
4 slices hardwood bacon, cooked
2 pieces Sage Fried Chicken
Maple Syrup, optional
Fried leeks, for garnish, optional
Rosemary sprigs, for garnish, optional

Special Equipment:
Square waffle iron
Wooden skewers

To make Sage Fried Chicken:
Dip and coat chicken breast in egg then cornflake mixture. Deep-fry for 5 to 6 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
To make Bacon Waffles:
Preheat waffle iron and coat well with nonstick spray. In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and mix in the buttermilk, milk, vanilla and butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stirring together lightly, leaving the batter slightly lumpy. Using a 6-ounce ladle, pour the batter in the center of the hot waffle iron. Place 2 slices of cooked bacon diagonally over each other and the waffle, making an X shape. Close the waffle iron lid. Cook until golden brown and slightly crispy. Remove to cutting board and cut into 4 squares. Place 2 waffle squares side by side on a plate then stack remaining 2 in the center on top of the first 2. Place the chicken breasts on top of this and secure in the center of each chicken breast with a wooden skewer. Top with warm maple syrup. Garnish with fried leeks and a 12-inch rosemary sprig.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Made a meatloaf last night and had mashed potatoes and a small green salad with it. There is plenty of leftovers for DH to have tonight.

I have a friend visiting from northern CA and we're meeting a few girls for dinner tonight. We wanted to go to a nice restaurant and chose Roy Yamaguci's, even though none of us have ever been there. Roy's Restaurant - Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine

Does anyone know what Miso tastes like? Is it hot? (I like spicy things like garlic, but not hot things like jalapinos or chili peppers.) They have an appetizer called "Crunchy Golden Lobster Potstickers [with] Spicy Togarashi Miso Butter Sauce" that sounds good, if I will like the miso butter sauce. For the main course, I have already decided on "Roy’s Classic Roasted Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi [with] Lobster Cognac Butter Sauce"

It all sounds sooooo good!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink