Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times

Advertisements

Well I had put off the chorizo and eggs AGAIN because I decided it would taste so much better with a side of pinto beans. Made the pintos yesterday with bacon AND a diced up italian sausage I had in the fridge, so these are going to be some pretty darn porky beans!!

I might refry DH's portion, but I prefer them whole.

So for dinner tonight we are finally ( I promise, no more dilly dallying) having
huevos rancheros with sides of beans and chorizo.

I couldn't make my tortilla soup recipe yesterday as it turned out I didn't have any chicken breasts. I made what I'd consider a pureed "Mexican Potato" soup instead but it was unfortunately a total failure. Ay caramba!
I will be eating that sludge in my lunch box for a long time. Woe is me.

Have a great Sunday, all!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
Debsi - thanks for the shrimp recipe! Sounds like a keeper! Poor thing with the sludge! Or should we start callin you "sister sludge"???

Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,670 times
Yesterday, I posted the recipe for Chicken Cacciatore in the recipes thread.

That's what I am making for dinner today. We absolutely love it.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:23 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,117,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
The best shrimp I've ever had were made by a friend from Baltimore.

He starts with high quality large shrimp, peel-on.

He boils them in a big pot that has white vinegar, a beer or two, and lots - I mean LOTS - of Old Bay seasoning in it.

He claims the secret is no water in the boil mixture.
I can't tell you if that's the only secret or not, but OMG never had anything like it before or since (he moved away). I think water gives the shrimp a soggy texture that these shrimp don't have.

When they're done he dumps them all on a huge platter, sprinkles MORE Old Bay on them, offers a cocktail sauce made of ketchup and lots of horseradish,
and tells his guests to dig in. They aren't deveined, which gave me pause, but I think I did my full justice to my portion anyway.

Very spicy and yummy and you have to keep stopping to lick the melted Old Bay seasoning off your fingers.

Wow sounds delicious but we dont get old bay seasoning here, its only marketed in the U.S as far as i am aware

Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Wow sounds delicious but we dont get old bay seasoning here, its only marketed in the U.S as far as i am aware
You could try a copycat recipe like this.

Robbie's Recipe Collection: Almost Old Bay® Seasoning

Old 01-18-2009, 10:30 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,453,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Since i was too tipsy to post last night. We had for starters;

Fresh grilled oysters (had a hard time getting them open) with applewood smoked cheese and parsley

Prawn torpedos with pork and coriander dumplings, served with a mango chutney and soy sauce.

For main course was Panang curry with fresh tiger prawns. It was delicous!

My aunt let me try some haggis, i was a bit iffy at first but it was really nice and spiced, the oats were a lovely texture too. I'd highly recommend a taste.
Welcome to the thread! I'm new too and I just had to tell you... that list of dinner items had me drooling with my morning coffee!!!! lol I LOVE haggis!

Elston.... I'm thinking you just didn't have a good cook making what you sampled.

[quote=Mistyck;7048558]I made Lime/salt/pepper marinated Tilapia with country veggies.
[quote]
Welcome to you too Misty... your tilapia sounds delicious!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Horray, horray---it's 30 days today--no smoking!!!! I'm doing the happy dance!
You go girl!!!!!! That's terrific!!!!!!!! 30 more days now... and you'll be way over the hump!!!

Dinner tonight for me is going to be Salsa Chicken, tossed salad and rice.

I use boneless skinless thighs because I prefer dark meat. I simply top with a couple jars of mixed Paul Newman's Salsa... Mango, Pineapple, Peach, etc... all work great mixed on there.. .sometimes I saute' some onions and garlic cloves and top the chix with that before adding the salsa. Then, I just bake for about 45-60 minutes in a covered pyrex. I top with shredded cheese.... whatever's on hand... mexican blend, monterey, cheddar, etc.. let it melt on there and voila! Easy peasy and yummy too!

I try and go for simple on Sunday's if it's a new Desperate Housewives... that show slays me! lol

Old 01-18-2009, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the link, Debsi! I am going to explore that site - looks like a good one!

Cyn - So proud of you girl! Way to go!!!!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Well since DH has not offered to make dinner and I am feeling like a comfort food I think I'll just make some macroni and cheese for dinner.

Thanks for all the pats on my back!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:50 AM

Sounds good to me! And something decadent chocolate for dessert?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
Cyn, you go girl, tried to rep you, but am in the clink.
DH and I are going to make grilled bratwursts and kraut, its a nice day here, so why not?
Scotslass, here is a link directly to purchase Old Bay, maybe it will translate to euros?
Seasonings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.