Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,931,364 times

Advertisements

Chicken for me. Grilled outside as we are having temps here in the upper 70s later today...

But, turning cold on Saturday...

I like it all though, the warmth and the cold.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Good morning all. I don't have a clue about dinner. All thinking processes are currently froze up in this 28° weather. Going right back to bed. That is the only way for me do deal with these temps. Later today I will figure something out...Maybe...
Sleep and stay warm Nomadicus. We'll "see" ya later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Ranch Style Beans thank you MWBW and bjh for the help finding the Beans--in the store locator I found that they carry those beans near me at a target store; that would be better than the on line order where they cost almost $20 for 6 cans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I'm delighted that you found a source close by, because believe me, there is NOTHING about Mexisagna that is so wonderful as to justify paying $20 for 6 cans o' beans! It's great stuff, but part of its appeal is that it's a fairly low-priced meal. I suspect my spouse would have a coronary if I suggested to him that we order the beans at that kind of price.
Yes, beans at that price would really only be for someone who couldn't find them nearby and wanted to splurge to satisfy a craving for something they are fond of.

Tonight for dinner, dunno yet. Maybe something on the thread will prove inspirational.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
I had to laugh at the everyone talking about paying a high price for certain food items. I discovered that here in NC they do not sell Rosarita refried beans (that's all I've ever used). I tried some of the others available here and was so disappointed so when we went to CA last year I picked up a whole bunch of cans. Thought I was pretty smart until I got to the airport and my luggage was over weight and had to purchase an extra suitcase and pay for not only the suitcase but the extra charge---came to about $50.00 for refried beans! We were stunned but learned a valuable lesson--get use to a different brand that is sold locally! Ha!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
oooooooooooooo no cooking for you.....enjoy your grabbing!....
LOL I will. Hopefully we remember to grab the mael before we go grocery shopping. *wink*

Time to restock the freezer (not with much though, can't afford the usual amount of meat) and cupboards. Usually I try to replace as we use, but kept forgetting these past few weeks.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:21 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,389,111 times
Spaghetti with leek and carrot and chicken breast - all fried in a pan with Chinese spices.

Still have 3 lower turkey legs in the fridge. They will go into the pan and be fried from all sides for a bit and then put into the oven. That's our dinner tomorrow along with peas and potatoes.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,856,986 times
Well being this is our last "warm" day/evening for awhile Mr. L said we're going out tonight as we will be hunkered down with the bitter cold.

Might not even food shop as we have enough to get us thru.

I know the break is nice but makes it harder when the winter freeze returns.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 AM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,759 times
Lacey, you are right. Where is Grannyroost? She has not tried to take my coffee away YL think your gonna try that recipe? I might put my own twist on it. Hub does not like cooked carrots. I may sub with corn. Not to framiliar with canned chicken either...anyone?
Southdown enjoy your movie! Elston what base did you go with for your roast?(tomato or the creamy soups?) Nomad I am sure something will get the dinner bell ringing. Jaxs back to the drawing board Don't let the cream pie get ya down.
Hey almost forgot... I saw a really cool way to make fried potatoes. Guy on CN did it. Can't find the recipe to cut and paste... It was basic boiled sm yukon gold potatoes. Gently smashed with the palm of your hand (just till potatoe gives). Place oil and potatoes in pan and cook till nice and brown. Season with salt and pepper. Heck throw on some sour cream and chives! Oh and do not forget the butter ha ha ha!!

To the foodies not feeling up to par..... darn it get well SOON!!
Mom I hope you sleep better tonight.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Thanks Amber. I would probably sleep better if DH slept in another bed! Ha!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:54 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,194,030 times
amber you can buy chicken in a can like tuna or like me I used a pint of my own canned chicken in that recipe.

cyn have you ever asked your local grocery store if they could get the brand you want? I did that when I lived down in FL in the late 80's because I missed Eckrich cold cuts took a few weeks but they got them in. Now I guess you can still get that brand in FL now. Also around here when I was asking for Panko the higher end store got some in but not plain ones like elston sent me a picture of. Can't hurt to ask them though. Or maybe try a Mexican grocery store they tend to carry brands that aren't available on our local shelves here.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,017,268 times
any asian store will carry panko.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.