Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I dont think the eggplant would stand up to the acid in the wine and kraut.......hhhmmmmmm, wonder if we could get tofu to stand in?
Maybe sliced potato with the kraut? and a different side veggie instead of the mash.... hmmmmm

Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Quote:
I dont think the eggplant would stand up to the acid in the wine and kraut.......hhhmmmmmm, wonder if we could get tofu to stand in?
Thanks for responding I don't do tofu; as I'm trying to limit soy intake.

I do eat fish and live out here in the PNW, so great fish is readily available. Wine is fine with fish, but am not certain about the kraut. So do you think I could substitute some kind of fish?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Maybe sliced potato with the kraut? and a different side veggie instead of the mash.... hmmmmm
DH likes it with mashed, so I am indulging him. Grandmothers recipe was to slice potatoes under the kraut, thats how I prefer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Thanks for responding I don't do tofu; as I'm trying to limit soy intake.

I do eat fish and live out here in the PNW, so great fish is readily available. Wine is fine with fish, but am not certain about the kraut. So do you think I could substitute some kind of fish?
The only fish I could think that might work would be swordfish, it has such a meaty texture I think it could stand up to the acids, maybe some tunas?
They would have to be seared before going in with the kraut.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Quote:
The only fish I could think that might work would be swordfish, it has such a meaty texture I think it could stand up to the acids, maybe some tunas?
They would have to be seared before going in with the kraut.
Shark meat also has a very firm, meaty texture, almost like beef. It might also hold up well in that kind of dish.

Though I do also like southdown's suggestion of using sliced potatoes as the central theme. Or possibly other sturdy root vegetables?

ETA: actually, after going back and re-reading your method, kshe, I think Macrina might be able to get away with using any of several different varieties of fish, as long as it's fairly solid sturdy flesh. If I understand your recipe, you sort of stew the kraut and other goodies together, then lay the seared pork over the top and roast in the oven until the pork is falling-off-the-bone tender and good. Is that close? If so, it seems to me that if Macrina started the casserole out with just the kraut & goodies stewing gently together in the oven for an hour or so, then added the seared fish for about the final 20 minutes or so of roasting time, she'd get the best of both worlds: the kraut & goodies all playing nicely together in the bottom of the casserole, with the fish steamed to perfection in the aromatic juices of the kraut etc.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
chicken n salad, will hit 171 by next week then i will sneak up on a pig knock him down and swollen him. anaconda behavior.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Shark meat also has a very firm, meaty texture, almost like beef. It might also hold up well in that kind of dish.

Though I do also like southdown's suggestion of using sliced potatoes as the central theme. Or possibly other sturdy root vegetables?
Mackerel! That would be firm enough.

German dishes often use herring or mackerel, but maybe that would be better cooked seperately...fish in beer, poached mackerel with herbs, picked herring and beets....there's one fish casserole dish which uses gingersnap cookies crumbles in it... will look up if you want!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
chicken n salad, will hit 171 by next week then i will sneak up on a pig knock him down and swollen him. anaconda behavior.
<snort> You must be related to my brother-in-law. We've called him the Anaconda for decades now! Good luck reaching your goal, so that you can engulf that pig...

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
We have wild pigs taking over here Huck..Come take a few home with ya...I know I'm having boneless country style ribs tomorrow...They are already cooked...Just don't know the sides yet. Oh that is today. It is tomorrow..

Old 01-26-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
ummm, ok......???? 171 what?

Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Mackerel! That would be firm enough.

German dishes often use herring or mackerel, but maybe that would be better cooked seperately...fish in beer, poached mackerel with herbs, picked herring and beets....there's one fish casserole dish which uses gingersnap cookies crumbles in it... will look up if you want!
[Tryin' this again - CD froze up for a moment there]

Oh, of course! How could I forget - pickled herring is one of our favorites!

Southdown, do you know whether true pickled herring is made ceviche-style, where the fish actually "cooks" from exposure to the acid in the vinegar, or is it a cooked-type pickle? I've always wondered, since encountering ceviche in South Texas.

It does seem as though Macrina could poach her fish in wine with the seasonings from the kraut, and possibly even some of the kraut juice, to get the flavor. Then the poached fish could just be served either on top of or alongside a lovely heap of spiced stewed kraut, maybe with potatoes. Hmmm... I may have to go find me a fish-monger and play a little myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink