Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 07:12 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times

Advertisements

I was soooo tired last night I couldn't cook my chicken and potatoes. We had leftovers instead. So I chucked some achiote, dark soy sauce, and something else.. what WAS it..in the bag with the chicken thighs. haha.. I really must have been tired!

Anyway, the soy is for flavor, the achiote turns everything a lovely bright red, so I'm betting this is going to be some really nice tasting/looking chicken, albeit with a mystery marinade!

We also plan to cook another loaf of the no-knead bread talked about on a thread in recipes. It's unbelievable, y'all. Anybody who has a dutch oven (my new lodge 6 qt enameled one really shines here) better make this recipe at once. DH and I couldn't believe that I made something that looked like it came from a bakery. And such little effort! All it takes is a lot of time sitting.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
making chicken stew tonight......my BFF is moving to Mississippi on Sunday, so I will make something to last a couple of days, I have better things to do than cook this week.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,779,493 times
Well my DD loved the chicken soup even though it had mushrooms in it. She said it was the best I had ever made. I didn't do anything special but I'm sure it was the turkey stock that I made after Christmas.

I got out porkchops for tonight but haven't decided how I'm going to fix them. No kraut for me. That was one of those foods that my mother made me eat that I couldn't stand. I still can't even smell it today.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,938 times
Good morning! Waiting for some bad weather to hit us...I hate winter!

Well, nothing special for tonight's dinner. Soup and a tuna fish sandwich on a Portuguese roll.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Good morning we are back down in the fridgid temps too Lacey with them calling for 6-9" of snow overnight. I won't believe the snow until I see it. Anybody besides me not trust their weatherman anymore?

Ham & beans with cornbread are in the works here for tonight.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,675,801 times
I made Chicken soup too the other day. Had some for lunch yesterday. Very good. We will have that tonight for dinner with bread and butter.

I like kraut but I"m all krauted out. We had it a lot around New years. Done for while.

What is achiote? Sounds interesting.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:53 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Oh, of course! How could I forget - pickled herring is one of our favorites!

Southdown, do you know whether true pickled herring is made ceviche-style, where the fish actually "cooks" from exposure to the acid in the vinegar, or is it a cooked-type pickle? I've always wondered, since encountering ceviche in South Texas.

It does seem as though Macrina could poach her fish in wine with the seasonings from the kraut, and possibly even some of the kraut juice, to get the flavor. Then the poached fish could just be served either on top of or alongside a lovely heap of spiced stewed kraut, maybe with potatoes. Hmmm... I may have to go find me a fish-monger and play a little myself.
Lacey - look away now!

MWBW - Pickled herring is made with raw or salt herring, but there are loads of regional variations. I found this site recently which I think you'd like...
Yooper Food State of Superior Cuisine: Yooper Food: Other Pickled Foods
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Best one I went to was when it was cooked in the ground. They dug a hole put good sized rocks in it, put the cut up pig in burlap sacks, wet it down, more rocks, covered them with dirt and built a huge bon fire on top of it all. My grandpa use to do that up here but the method and instructions went with him to heaven.
Still quite a few real pit bbqs around, I am going to look for them on my road trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Good Morning.....tonight I will be cooking up the scallops....something very simple and I do believe it will involve Bernaise Sauce... The lobsters last night were delicious..........
Elston you really do know how to make us jealous!

Debsi - hope you feel better today

Happy Tuesday all! No idea what's for dinner, will seek inspiration here and report back later.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
[quote=elizamary;7192594
What is achiote? Sounds interesting.[/QUOTE]

It has a smoky, citrus flavor, but it's not really a strong flavored thing. I use it more for color than anything else. There is NOTHING prettier off the bbq than chicken tenders marinated in achiote. Red red chicken with black grill marks. Impressive looking.

I buy it in a bottle from the Mexican market but I've been meaning to look in the foreign foods aisle of the local Kroger to see if they have it there too.

Achiote - MexiChef Achiote Paste 1.16 lb.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Good morning we are back down in the fridgid temps too Lacey with them calling for 6-9" of snow overnight. I won't believe the snow until I see it. Anybody besides me not trust their weatherman anymore?

Ham & beans with cornbread are in the works here for tonight.
Thank you. I have ham slices in the freezer and a ton of beans. I think I will get cracking on this myself. Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:06 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Thanks for that information Debsi! I had never heard of this Achiote but it sounds very interesting and I think the idea of the color making a BBQ dish so yummy is a great idea! I just may have to see if I can find this at my local grocery store!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink