Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times

Advertisements

I have little patience with people who claim they can't cook. I'll only give someone like that a pass if they are completely illiterate. If you can read, you can cook. Maybe not gourmet food, but edible and safe food. Just follow the recipe and pay attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I have little patience with people who claim they can't cook. I'll only give someone like that a pass if they are completely illiterate. If you can read, you can cook. Maybe not gourmet food, but edible and safe food. Just follow the recipe and pay attention.
I could say I have little patience for people who can't paint a picture. Just tell them how to mix colors and dip in the brush. Point made?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I could say I have little patience for people who can't paint a picture. Just tell them how to mix colors and dip in the brush. Point made?
I think the point could be made that anyone CAN paint. It may not be a masterpiece, and it may be abstract, but they all have the ability to paint. So not really an argument against the other poster's point.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Agree. Cooking is easy for me, but I recognize that it is not easy for some other people. My FIL, for instance, murders cabbage on a regular basis. The whole house smells ... intestinal ... far too often when he cooks. I know he can read, and I know he can follow a recipe, but he thinks he can "improve" them, and has no idea how to combine flavors. His wife used to cook (now is too ill) and doesn't like spices and seasonings, including salt. Oh, and veggies must be cooked to gray mush, or they aren't "done". HORK

Funnily enough, they love my cooking, but they don't want me to cook for them (we live with them to help out with the house & picking them up when they fall).

Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,358,757 times
Quote:
Point made only if they are doing a paint-by-number picture. That would equate to reading a recipe for food. Other than that your "point" is pointless and illogical.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I love watching the show worst cooks in America. I find it odd that people who are the worst cook can't even make a grilled cheese or boil pasta. I just made chicken with broccoli, rice and saute'd zucchini in a 1/2 hour. Am I that good at cooking or do I just know how to manage my time? I love it when they have to make a dish and a side in 90 minutes and they can't even get a side dish done in 1 hour! Are you considered one of the worst cooks? Do you know anyone who is? Please share your experiences.
I too love to watch it and forgot about it last Monday; darn!!! Of course the stories are exaggerations but it is still fun.

As for worst cooks, I have known a few in my life: no, certainly not like those on the show, but pretty bad. You have to remember, these shows are all simply entertainment, nothing more. It probably takes interviewing at least a thousand or more people to get those 14 candidates.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
sorry, I have to disagree with you: some people really are lost in the kitchen. Maybe it is their lack of interest, maybe they were raised thinking good food came only from restaurants or out of packages, whatever, but I certainly wouldn't say I have to patience with them. Most people who say they can not cook, do not mean it literally. of course anyone can cook something and have it edible.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Point made only if they are doing a paint-by-number picture. That would equate to reading a recipe for food. Other than that your "point" is pointless and illogical.
My point is that there is more to painting a picture than following "how to" instructions and there is more to cooking than mixing 1/4 cup of this and a 1/2 cup of that. Paints do funny thing if you aren't wise to them. Same with foods. You have to know how to handle both. Some people have a talent for it - a sixth sense, you might say.

I agree with you that some of the people on that show - which I've never seen - sound a tad silly. But, real cooking is for those who are gifted with that "feel" for it. I seem not to have it. In my mercy, I never try to feed anyone my cooking. When I have guests, I take them out to dinner - which is why I always try to learn where the best restaurants are in town. Expensive, yes, but better than making them want to leave. :-)

On the side and to the person who mentioned cabbage smelling up the house - long ago, that was a given. I do not know what has changed but used to be that, when you cooked cabbage, you just automatically opened the windows and turned on the fans. The cabbage could turn out delicious but the smell was strong and a lot of people didn't like it.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry, I have to disagree with you: some people really are lost in the kitchen. Maybe it is their lack of interest, maybe they were raised thinking good food came only from restaurants or out of packages, whatever, but I certainly wouldn't say I have to patience with them. Most people who say they can not cook, do not mean it literally. of course anyone can cook something and have it edible.
Except my fish. But, yes. I can eat my own cooking. It certainly is not as good as what I get at the house of a friend who is an outstanding cook but it's edible. I just don't wish it on anybody else.

As for burning water - which I confess to doing - that isn't cooking. That's just carelessness in not carrying a timer with me. Multitasking is another of my failings.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
I see the phrase "I can't cook" as a mindset. Building a meal doesn't need to be complex until you've got the knowledge and/or instinct to try the more elaborate creations.

A roast chicken with stuffing and vegetables is the easiest roast dinner imaginable. At its simplest incarnation, it's "add water, heat". If one is stuck, looking up the time and temperature to cook the chicken online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink