Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 07:09 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Yeah! ME! Yesterday I flamed up mac and cheese, (with real fire flames), because I didn't know how long to keep it on broil! hahahahahahahahahaha

I hate cooking! I love watching "others" cook...and photograph nicely plated food, but that is IT. Plus, I don't like to touch dead animals. EWWW....

You can broil mac and cheese? I didn't know that. But, I don't know much about cooking, as I've said.

One thing I don't like about mac and cheese: It can come out edible when first cooked - not too tasty but can be eaten. But, put the leftover in the fridge and, next day, you have solid mass that is very hard to redeem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
I am literally amazed at how people can not cook! I never understood the reason for the "Food Network"! Really? you can not cook?

Can you bathe yourself?
Breathe?
What exactly is wrong with you?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I am literally amazed at how people can not cook! I never understood the reason for the "Food Network"! Really? you can not cook?

Can you bathe yourself?
Breathe?
Not a thing wrong with us. We enjoy what we can do and bless you for what you can do without criticizing you for not being able to do what we can do.

See, I can even write a convoluted sentence.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Not a thing wrong with us. We enjoy what we can do and bless you for what you can do without criticizing you for not being able to do what we can do.

See, I can even write a convoluted sentence.
Haha! I did not mean to be "mean"! I just can cook.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM

11,138 posts, read 9,769,935 times
It's really just a lack of truly caring enough to HONESTLY try. When you half-arsed try and fail, then your self-fulfilling prophecy has come true. See, you really can't cook! Yes, if you're a beginner you have to READ the recipe, you have to take the TIME as called for in the recipe, set the TEMPERATURE as directed, you have to WATCH it, and REACT to what you see happening in something approaching a logical, intelligent fashion.
Some people learn from their parent or grandparent, but there is no reason you can't learn on your own if you WANT to and TRY your best. It's okay to mess up from time to time, we all do. But I think just shrugging and saying I can't cook is laziness or lack of caring. Plus if you say you can't cook, someone else will do it for you I guess and that's probably what you wanted anyway.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

Can you bathe yourself?
Breathe?
What might seem like cooking to one person can be seen differently by others. I don't think anyone is claiming they can not open a box of mac and cheese or a can of soup. they are saying some people can not cook at all other than to open packages. Just because you might be a good cook or I am doesn't meant everyone is. Some people can draw great pictures, I can't draw a stick person. Some people can follow written directions, others have to hear it verbally.

As for the food network, it is enjoyable and entertaining. Not everyone who watches it does so to learn to cook.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:20 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
My mom's mom. She could not cook.at.all. She just went out to eat for almost every meal. The rare times she would "cook" would involve peas for some reason. I guess restaurants don't regularly involve peas as a menu item so she would make it at home. (she loved peas) Only her way was opening a can, draining it well, rinsing it well and tossing in a hot dry pan to "warm" them up only they would char. Then on to a plate with butter and salt. I told her once why doesn't she cook them in water like my mom does? She said in a bewildered voice, "You can do that?".

My mom had stories of her attempting to cook while growing up. lol

Old 02-27-2014, 11:45 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
It's really just a lack of truly caring enough to HONESTLY try. When you half-arsed try and fail, then your self-fulfilling prophecy has come true. See, you really can't cook!

<snip>
It's okay to mess up from time to time, we all do.

Yes - that's something I've had to tell my son: You will mess up. That's OK, it's how you learn. It doesn't mean you can't cook, because each time you mess up, you can learn what went wrong. He's getting more and more confident in the kitchen!

Quote:
But I think just shrugging and saying I can't cook is laziness or lack of caring. Plus if you say you can't cook, someone else will do it for you I guess and that's probably what you wanted anyway.
Well, or they have different priorities, or they might feel intimidated. Lots of people are afraid to mess up.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
It's really just a lack of truly caring enough to HONESTLY try. When you half-arsed try and fail, then your self-fulfilling prophecy has come true. See, you really can't cook! Yes, if you're a beginner you have to READ the recipe, you have to take the TIME as called for in the recipe, set the TEMPERATURE as directed, you have to WATCH it, and REACT to what you see happening in something approaching a logical, intelligent fashion.
Some people learn from their parent or grandparent, but there is no reason you can't learn on your own if you WANT to and TRY your best. It's okay to mess up from time to time, we all do. But I think just shrugging and saying I can't cook is laziness or lack of caring. Plus if you say you can't cook, someone else will do it for you I guess and that's probably what you wanted anyway.

My healthy respect for the art of cooking and those who master it -- plus my many flub-dubs - says there more to it than reading a recipe. Good cooks seem to be always taste-testing and spotting and correcting little shortcomings. No two dishes will require exactly the same amount of each ingredient. You and I could each grow a patch of tomatoes and they would taste different, requiring more or less salt or other spice. You could cook the same dish twice on different days and have them come out different. Sometimes my biscuits are done in 18 minutes. Sometimes it take 19 or 20. Who knows why.

No, I've long since learned that just following a recipe to the nth degree will not create a good cook. There's a skill to it, a science to it, an ability to recognize when things aren't coming out exactly as you expected them to and then being able to make a few adjustments which will result in something perfect. I admire and respect those who can do it. I know my limits.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:44 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
My mother-in-law is not on par with most of what you have posted, but she is infamous for her tiny portions and rather nondescript food. (She doesn't like to cook.) We had dinner there once and were served a smallish bowl of chicken broth with a little meat and sliced almonds in it. Maybe two mouthfuls to chew, plus broth. No bread or salad or any accompaniment. We were prepared to grin and bear it when my husband pulled a piece of glass out of his mouth. Turns out she had dropped the glass container the soup was frozen in, then warmed it up and served it anyway. We still laugh about her frozen leftover glass soup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink