Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,352,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Din... I'm fairly certain her husband placed them there in order to prevent her from cooking.

My mum was an awful cook, too (everything was blackened... including mashed potatoes) & so are both of my sisters. One sister thinks that heating frozen pizza in a microwave is cooking... not kidding. She makes one thing, badly. Calls it chili... opens 5 tins of horrid sauce/beans/meat, adds a box of uncooked elbow macaroni, no seasonings, pours it all into a crock pot & next day, she made 'homemade chili from scratch'.

The other sister called me on the phone asking how to cook tea. Cook? She didn't know if the teabag went into a pot or cup, before or after water's boiled, top of the stove or oven, boil it for 10-min with the bag in the pot? Yikes! She despises anything kitchen related & cooks/bakes nothing... her husband & son are most grateful & it saved 3 mice.
To the unbrave soul who left me a rep (for some odd reason) stating 'you used to be so positive'... firstly, leaving a negative comment via rep sans name is akin to ringing someone's bell & cowardly racing away. And, read my posts tongue in cheek... the spirit in which they're written. Humor is so needed & so often missed by those who don't have it in their hearts or lives. What's so negative about the above?

Tsk, tsk, scared poster. Lighten up. < Insert finger wagging emoticon >
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 12:15 PM

57 posts, read 79,538 times
Watched Julia Child from its very beginning (50 years ago), numerous cooking shows of all sorts ever since, and have at least two shelves of various and sundry cookbooks, many of which i have sat and read carefully.

Nonetheless, I would have to say, that 6 out of 10 things that I cook go off the stove and into the garbage. That includes, over the years, about 20 batches of fried chicken (I think I finally got it...use small pieces); pork roasts and roasted chicken that taste crummy (what could be easier?) and have yet to do pork chops that dont come out like shoe leather. Salad dressings of the simplest types, following recipes to the tee, never taste right. I really ought to hawk my stove and oven and measuring cups and just eat out.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittelschmirz View Post
Watched Julia Child from its very beginning (50 years ago), numerous cooking shows of all sorts ever since, and have at least two shelves of various and sundry cookbooks, many of which i have sat and read carefully.

Nonetheless, I would have to say, that 6 out of 10 things that I cook go off the stove and into the garbage. That includes, over the years, about 20 batches of fried chicken (I think I finally got it...use small pieces); pork roasts and roasted chicken that taste crummy (what could be easier?) and have yet to do pork chops that dont come out like shoe leather. Salad dressings of the simplest types, following recipes to the tee, never taste right. I really ought to hawk my stove and oven and measuring cups and just eat out.
A feeling I know well.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
lubby? There are people who can not cook! Let them be! Do not try to fix them or hand them a "cook book"!
Just give them instructions to a microwave and "pray".
I don't try and fix them nor do I hand them a cook book. I personally only know 1 person who can't cook. Everyone I know cooks great! Calm down it's ok.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:16 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Actually - I probably qualified.
Scenario: spend some time at the new new inlaws, ML does not cook, try to impress with Spaetzle and the works, nobody told me about a hellish thing called self-rising flour. The result was a monster sized spaetzle wiggling and jiggling in the colander. So much for home made pasta.
Scenario: one of the first house hold microwaves and pecan pie. It did not set and did not set. It sure set the smoke alarm:>)
Scenario: Swiss Steak. I have not seen those 1/4 cow sized slabs of beef in a long time. Steak back home is filet. So in the sizzling hot pan it went, one turn and off to the table. Well - the end of my steak cooking career for a while.

How about an oopsy daisy thread?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:57 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,499,241 times
I'm always surprised that there are people out there that can't prepare even the simpliest of foods. My sister falls in this category, it took her months to get a peanut butter and jelly right.... She started making them by putting peanut butter on both sides of the bread and never being able to figure our where she was going wrong....

Once she graduated from peanut butter and jelly class, she mostly sticks to microwave/stovetop foods and still screws them up. She'll make canned soup and add the wrong liquid (adding water instead of milk, or vice versa) or not any liquid. Mac and cheese she will also get the ingredients wrong. She burns or undercooks everything as well. It's almost unbelievable she is just so bad at cooking, but she can rarely ever make something correctly!

Old 02-26-2014, 07:31 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
Those "worst cooks" don't even compare to my MIL. She burnt soup once. Everything she makes is an atrocity. Ugh. It kind of sucks not being able to tell her to bring anything over to a get together. It is always desert because that is the one thing we know she will buy as she does not and never will bake. They go out to eat daily.
I married the right guy, if I make a frozen pizza and don't burn it, it is a great meal to him.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,352,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
I'm always surprised that there are people out there that can't prepare even the simpliest of foods. My sister falls in this category, it took her months to get a peanut butter and jelly right.... She started making them by putting peanut butter on both sides of the bread and never being able to figure our where she was going wrong....

Once she graduated from peanut butter and jelly class, she mostly sticks to microwave/stovetop foods and still screws them up. She'll make canned soup and add the wrong liquid (adding water instead of milk, or vice versa) or not any liquid. Mac and cheese she will also get the ingredients wrong. She burns or undercooks everything as well. It's almost unbelievable she is just so bad at cooking, but she can rarely ever make something correctly!
This made me laugh out loud! Perhaps you should remove the cooking sherry from the kitchen before she attempts PB&Js.

It surprises me too, but I must admit, I know no one who can cook. Friends were always amazed when they came to my home & I prepared food from scratch. Their q's were akin to that of a young child... 1 actually asked how I'd prepared the cucumber salad & couldn't figure out how the whole cuke became the cut up cuke with seasonings & home made dressing in a nice little bowl.

I think some just don't care. Honestly, if one began giving me instructions on how to fix anything in a car, my eyes would glaze over & I'm sure I wouldn't be able to follow the simplest of details, because I really don't want to, at all. Cooking/baking is therapy for me... I think it's a chore for most I've encountered.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:25 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I think some just don't care. Honestly, if one began giving me instructions on how to fix anything in a car, my eyes would glaze over & I'm sure I wouldn't be able to follow the simplest of details, because I really don't want to, at all. Cooking/baking is therapy for me... I think it's a chore for most I've encountered.
You've pretty much nailed it - in a lot of cases anyway. Cooking is an art and a science both requiring, first of all, an interest and, second, a reason to devote oneself to working at it. "Reason" is the clue. Cooking only for myself, that reason is lacking. Heat and eat is so much simpler, especially if you have a stack of work awaiting you elsewhere.

There's a lot more to it than that but you're close.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:25 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I love watching the show worst cooks in America. I find it odd that people who are the worst cook can't even make a grilled cheese or boil pasta. I just made chicken with broccoli, rice and saute'd zucchini in a 1/2 hour. Am I that good at cooking or do I just know how to manage my time? I love it when they have to make a dish and a side in 90 minutes and they can't even get a side dish done in 1 hour! Are you considered one of the worst cooks? Do you know anyone who is? Please share your experiences.
Yeah! ME! Yesterday I flamed up mac and cheese, (with real fire flames), because I didn't know how long to keep it on broil! hahahahahahahahahaha

I hate cooking! I love watching "others" cook...and photograph nicely plated food, but that is IT. Plus, I don't like to touch dead animals. EWWW....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink