Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I know someone who is the worst cook, but not because she lacks skill or technique. She just believes that everything should be cooked to a cinder to avoid food poisoning. No matter what you say to convince her otherwise, everything MUST be overcooked. Beyond well done. It's disgusting, and a waste of good food.
Oh yeah. The worst cook I know actually worked as a Home-Ec teacher for 40 years, and she's always asked to bring specific dishes to large gatherings. She definitely comes from a different generation and seems to have a primal fear that all food can kill you through food poisoning. I certainly agree with her about the importance of food safety, but wow - she cooks everything practically to ashes. If it isn't cooked to ashes she smothers it in mayo, which she seems to believe has a magical property to preserve all foods. Long story short - at a BBQ I went to her husband cooked the burgers and brats beyond a point at which they could be eaten (she kept checking them to give her approval) while she left a mayo/egg salad abomination sitting in the sun for 4 or 5 hours. I was watching flies move from the dog **** in the yard to the egg salad the whole time. Gah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if those burritos find the office trash can and he goes out and picks something up!

I hope he does!

All I know is that he's always starving when they come to my house

Old 02-25-2014, 08:29 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
I watched Jessica Simpson ATTEMPT to make a sandwich for then husband N. Lacey;
it was painful.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinska View Post
My mother's best friend though, had real kitchen problems. One day, I remember her telling us that she found three dead mice in a bottle of vegetable oil in her cabinet. How neglected does your kitchen have to be to not find one, not two but three dead mice in one bottle?
Din... I'm fairly certain her husband placed them there in order to prevent her from cooking.

My mum was an awful cook, too (everything was blackened... including mashed potatoes) & so are both of my sisters. One sister thinks that heating frozen pizza in a microwave is cooking... not kidding. She makes one thing, badly. Calls it chili... opens 5 tins of horrid sauce/beans/meat, adds a box of uncooked elbow macaroni, no seasonings, pours it all into a crock pot & next day, she made 'homemade chili from scratch'.

The other sister called me on the phone asking how to cook tea. Cook? She didn't know if the teabag went into a pot or cup, before or after water's boiled, top of the stove or oven, boil it for 10-min with the bag in the pot? Yikes! She despises anything kitchen related & cooks/bakes nothing... her husband & son are most grateful & it saved 3 mice.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
There really are people that can't cook. My dad used to say that my mom was the only person that he knew that could burn water.

One of my brothers was married to a woman many years. I had heard that she didn't cook, but I didn't think he literally CANNOT cook. We went for a visit and were going to be staying in their home for a few days. I found out real quick that she couldn't/didn't cook. There were NO spices, there were NO pans, there was almost no food in the fridge. What they did was they went for coffee and doughnut in the morning, then would get something pre-made from the grocery store or call in a take-out for lunch and dinner. It must have cost them a fortune to feed the family doing this.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
My ex sister in law was such a bad housekeeper and when my husband saw her kitchen for the first time he said "we are never coming over here for dinner ever " and we never did . I honestly dont know how my brother lived with her for years . He could never invite anyone over to his home for a visit , because as she said "housework is not a priority to me " . Believe me we could tell and she just did not care enough to cook . She was okay with dumping contents of a can into a pot and boiling it to death . She could not cook meat at all and she said it is terrible what they do to cows ugh !!! No she gets the worst cook of the world in our family . My brother has been married to an italian girl for several years and she is awesome as a cook , wife and mother .

Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
One of my friend's told me a funny worst cook story recently. She has this friend who raves about this Moroccan chicken she makes in the crockpot. She went over their for dinner and the rice was hard, the chicken was puree'd LOL. She must have puree'd it after it was cooked, served the mush over undercooked rice. Her friend said everyone loves this dish. My friend looked in horror, ate some then said she was full. This same friend tried giving her advice on cooking a pork roast in the oven. She told her not to cook it low and slow but to turn up the temperature in the oven and cook it. Stupidly my friend listened to her because she was tired of arguing about it. It was dry and tough like shoe leather. My friend is a great cook like me and since then she won't let her friend in the kitchen LOL. Needless to say when asked what she could bring over when she is invited for dinner my friend tells her to buy a cake.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
lubby? There are people who can not cook! Let them be! Do not try to fix them or hand them a "cook book"!
Just give them instructions to a microwave and "pray".

Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I love watching the show worst cooks in America. I find it odd that people who are the worst cook can't even make a grilled cheese or boil pasta. I just made chicken with broccoli, rice and saute'd zucchini in a 1/2 hour. Am I that good at cooking or do I just know how to manage my time? I love it when they have to make a dish and a side in 90 minutes and they can't even get a side dish done in 1 hour! Are you considered one of the worst cooks? Do you know anyone who is? Please share your experiences.
I confess! Sorry, but for some of us, cooking is not a talent. Everyone has a gift. Cooking isn't mine. I can follow a recipe to the letter and get something inedible. Long ago - after throwing away too many fish - I became a heat and eat person. It's all that keeps me healthy. If it doesn't come with a can opener, forget it.

Count your blessings for the talents you do have.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:43 AM

31 posts, read 69,038 times
My girlfriend tried to make me rice and beans. She was so proud. She soaked the beans but did not cook them. I almost broke a tooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink