Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 06:04 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, so, my spiralizer arrived a few days ago and I finally got around to make proper zoodles. I spiralized them this morning. It took -- seriously -- less than a minute to spiralize two huge zucchinis. That was magical.

I did the process of sweating them on paper towels, blah blah blah, then bagged the whole thing, and put it in the fridge for the afternoon.

I also slow-roasted tomatoes.

Tonight, I sauteed the zoodles in olive oil with chopped-up anchovies and the tomatoes. I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top and called it dinner. It was decent. They are NOT a replacement for spaghetti, though, let me tell you. Sure, they're now the same shape (more or less), but there's no mistaking a zoodle for a noodle. No chance of that. Anyone who tells you that they "totally couldn't tell the difference" is totally a liar. But it was a decent meal. A visually appealing meal. A healthy meal. That's all I've got...
I hate those "couldn't tell the difference" liars, lol!

Why don't you do what I do with pasta salad? I double to triple to quadruple the quantity of vegetables called for, while leaving the amount of pasta the same. I still get that carb hit, but half my portion is now veggie goodness. In your case, I'd try half zoodles and half noodles. Make the spaghetti whole wheat, if you must. Or Dreamfields, the stuff with only 5 "digestible" carbs per serving.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:09 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Dinner tonight is cold, cause outside tonight is really hot. 94 on my front porch in the shade at 7 PM. I saw 108 in the forecast and turned off the TV. (Oooooh, the weather outside is frightful....)

$1 loaf of French bread layered with mayo, Dijon mustard, Swiss cheese, roast beef, ham, tomatoes, lettuce, banana peppers, and olives. Potato chips, carrot sticks, and sliced Granny Smith apple on the side.

Last edited by Debsi; 08-05-2015 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 06:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I hate those "couldn't tell the difference" liars, lol!

Why don't you do what I do with pasta salad? I double to triple to quadruple the quantity of vegetables called for, while leaving the amount of pasta the same. I still get that carb hit, but half my portion is now veggie goodness. In your case, I'd try half zoodles and half noodles. Make the spaghetti whole wheat, if you must. Or Dreamfields, the stuff with only 5 "digestible" carbs per serving.
Seriously? Hello! You're brilliant, my sister!

PS. I hope that your weather smartens up. That temperature -- and I assume that there's disgusting humidity to go along with it -- is unacceptable and does NOT play well with our hair.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:21 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,227,747 times
Took the day off and ate some lamb, scallops and topped it off with a sausage sub with green peppers and onions.

I did have desert 2, coffee ice cream and loads of whip cream.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:39 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Grilled boneless pork chops marinated with some lemon juice, garlic, oregano and pepper. Green beans and tomatoes (both just picked from the garden). I cook the green beans, saute some onion and garlic, toss it all together with some chopped tomatoes cooked until just warmed. It tastes like summer to me! Added some spicy sweet potato wedges since I needed to use the potato today.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:05 AM

38,909 posts, read 22,906,011 times
Teriyaki chicken bowl leftover from yesterday and steamed broccoli on the side.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Well tonight is the big debate night which some of you will not be watching I am sure: we will. I have to think of something quick with a easy clean up. I am considering either a frozen pizza doctored up or just hamburgers and potato salad. We usually only have beef once a week and already had steak, but it is still pretty tempting.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
The big guys are going to a car show, so I think the 2 little ones and I will take a walk up to the pizzeria.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 AM

126,287 posts, read 19,066,107 times
Tonight Jamaican chicken patties,a cilantro,tomato,green and red onion chutney and a garden salad. Lassi to drink. For dessert more mango.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Okay, so, my spiralizer arrived a few days ago and I finally got around to make proper zoodles. I spiralized them this morning. It took -- seriously -- less than a minute to spiralize two huge zucchinis. That was magical.

I did the process of sweating them on paper towels, blah blah blah, then bagged the whole thing, and put it in the fridge for the afternoon.

I also slow-roasted tomatoes.

Tonight, I sauteed the zoodles in olive oil with chopped-up anchovies and the tomatoes. I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top and called it dinner. It was decent. They are NOT a replacement for spaghetti, though, let me tell you. Sure, they're now the same shape (more or less), but there's no mistaking a zoodle for a noodle. No chance of that. Anyone who tells you that they "totally couldn't tell the difference" is totally a liar. But it was a decent meal. A visually appealing meal. A healthy meal. That's all I've got...
Ok, so how do they compare to spaghetti squash? I can really manage to harbor the illusion of pasta when I eat spaghetti squash with a good Bolognese over it.
I bet an alfredo type sauce would be good with the zucchini noodles. I'm mostly into low carb, though, not low fat. You put enough butter and cheese on anything and it would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink