Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 02:49 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Lazy night. Someone mentioned "pepper and and egg sandwiches" and I got hungry for one.

So tonight, pepper and egg sandwiches, tossed salad, and watermelon slices.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:58 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
almost exactly what we are having, but we are having spinach and blue cheese salad instead of the feta and arugula.

Can't rep you now - but that does sound good too! I love spinach and blue cheese also.

From your taste, I think you would like the feta, arugula salad. You just use a melon ball thing, toss with crumbled feta, add basil if desired and toss and chill.

The result is a pleasing mix of sweet and savory. It makes it's own dressing. I think you would like it.

And, Arkansas watermelons are awesome!

Old 08-05-2015, 03:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,238,153 times
Supreme flounder, steamed broccoli, cornbread stuffing

Old 08-05-2015, 03:41 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,478,467 times
I defrosted some chilli I had in the freezer. I am going to turn it into chilli nachos.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:01 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,644,023 times
Tonight we're having homemade chicken cordon bleu calzones, angle hair pasta (with parmesan, basil, garlic, lemon), braised baby artichokes, a bottle of Asti Spumante and spice cupcakes for dessert.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
fell into some sirloin strip ends as a gift..

grilled those up and some boneless chicken breasts,,,,i cut the breast in half,,,then butterflied the half,,,they cook faster and more evenly that way

watermelon chunks

raspberries and whipped cream

Old 08-05-2015, 04:37 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,608,853 times
fried chicken, red beans & rice, choc malt frozen custard for dessert.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,854 times
Dh wanted to cook dinner and this is what he came up with:

Fried corn tortillas in peanut oil till crispy and folded over, filled with shredded mozzarella, Costco hotdog, mustard, pickled southern chow chow slaw, and sour kraut.

I don't even know what to call this, lol!

It's like a Mexican, southern, German, hotdog taco.

Everything everyone posted here tonight sounds a lot better, but I used up all my reps.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:50 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
Beef tips in the crockpot with a Korean sesame-ginger sauce over rice, leftover buttered corn off the cob, baguette, and unsweetened iced tea to drink.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm being super-ambitious (at least for me it is):

I've got my slow-roasted grape tomatoes in the oven right now: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...-tomatoes.html

Later, I'm going to make zoodles (zucchini noodles to replace traditional pasta): Gourmet Girl Cooks: Sunday Night Pasta - How to Make Non-Watery Zoodles

I'm going to sautee the zoodles with some olive oil, some of my roasted tomatoes, some chopped-up anchovies, maybe some baby clams (just the meat) if I'm in the mood. Maybe some Parmesan cheese on top if I opt not to include the clams (I typically don't like cheese and seafood together).

It's going to be a huge success or a big bust. I'm feeling like there will be no in-between here (go big or go home). We shall see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So it turns out that there can be an in-between with this.

Everything was perfect except that the tool that I used to make the zoodles (Walmart Canada), which people online said worked well... really didn't work well. My zoodles were too thin, like strings. Well, yeah... julienned.

Since the flavor was terrific and the texture was *almost* right (I need a thicker, meatier noodle/zoodle), I ordered this Jumbl™ Vegetable & Fruit Spiral Slicer w/Three Stainless Steel Blades

Next go-round should be better. NO! Next go-round should be GREAT! (I hope.)
Okay, so, my spiralizer arrived a few days ago and I finally got around to make proper zoodles. I spiralized them this morning. It took -- seriously -- less than a minute to spiralize two huge zucchinis. That was magical.

I did the process of sweating them on paper towels, blah blah blah, then bagged the whole thing, and put it in the fridge for the afternoon.

I also slow-roasted tomatoes.

Tonight, I sauteed the zoodles in olive oil with chopped-up anchovies and the tomatoes. I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top and called it dinner. It was decent. They are NOT a replacement for spaghetti, though, let me tell you. Sure, they're now the same shape (more or less), but there's no mistaking a zoodle for a noodle. No chance of that. Anyone who tells you that they "totally couldn't tell the difference" is totally a liar. But it was a decent meal. A visually appealing meal. A healthy meal. That's all I've got...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink