Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 05:50 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times

Advertisements

Going back to my original question, I took Julia Child's advice and served a couple of beautifully roast chickens. Salad, steamed asparagus and roasted potatoes rounded out the meal. The gno dairy gluten lady offered to bring desert and I gladly accepted. It tasted awful. Dry as dirt.

Otherwise, it was a lovely evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 05:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Well, it's finally happened. Somebody answered my question about food preferences and allergies with a problematic result.

Gluten and cow dairy free. She's already offered to bring desert, which I quickly and gratefully accepted.

I'm not that familiar with gluten free. Cow dairy means no milk, cream, yogurt or cheese, I guess?

So I'm not making lasagne, huh? Am I really limited to plain meat, plain vegies and roasted/baked potatoes? PS - there will be 8 people at this little dinner party!
Omg. There are like a thousand things you can make.

And remember, you can have bread/dairy as a side for the other guests. Like cheese for the baked potato. Serve with steak and spinach and garlic bread. Make a nice tossed salad.

How about beef borguignon? Roast a chicken. Skewers? Salmon?

Yesterday, I had no dairy (not on purpose)...I had grass-fed ribeye steak thinly sliced and cooked with veggies in teriyaki sauce served over brown rice. I had lentils for lunch. My kids eat meat with steamed veggies practically every meal, btw, so it's not torture or weird.

If you insist on pasta, gluten-free noodles abound.

This is so not a problem.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:04 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Going back to my original question, I took Julia Child's advice and served a couple of beautifully roast chickens. Salad, steamed asparagus and roasted potatoes rounded out the meal. The gno dairy gluten lady offered to bring desert and I gladly accepted. It tasted awful. Dry as dirt.

Otherwise, it was a lovely evening.
What was the dessert?

Old 06-07-2017, 02:05 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,737 times
Quote:
I agree. But there is a difference between having celiac disease and being gluten intolerant. The latter has been overused by consumers (often thinking it's a way to lose weight), over diagnosed by physicians (who give up trying to figure out why the patient keeps co,playing of feeling bloated), and overplayed by restaurants in an attempt to get business from all those people who suddenly develop a gluten problem

Celiac is a SERIOUS disease. Gluten intolerance CAN be very uncomfortable. But the real, properly diagnosed cases are few and far between.
My husband is one of these. Went diagnosed for many years. It wasn't as common back then. (2007)
And he had weird symptoms. Finally ended up in the hospital severely anemic, because he wasn't absorbing any iron. Also border-line osteoporosis, didn't absorb calcium either. NOR the synthroid medication that was keeping him alive.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My niece is allergic to all things in the onion family. It's very difficult for her to eat in restaurants, because there are onions, garlic, shallots, etc., in EVERYTHING. She can't ever get pasta, because no one makes sauce without garlic and onions.
Your poor daughter. This allergy would really get to me, since everything I make has onions and/or garlic in it. it'd be like when I was a kid and my doctor wanted me to get rid of our cats because I was so allergic. I refused and was just miserable until I went off to college.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Only 1% of the U.S. population has Celiac disease.
I don't know who has celiac and who doesn't, but the fad to eat gluten-free has been great for me. I used to have to cook everything from scratch and now there is all sorts of gluten-free prepared food to buy and restaurants are offering gluten-free options.

Unfortunately, most of the gluten-free items aren't any good, so I still have to cook from scratch, but I've found a few gluten-free items that are delicious and I can buy those for occasional convenience.

The gluten-free fad has to be great for the people who are allergic to wheat. Anything labeled "gluten-free" is wheat free and it used to be impossible to buy wheat-free prepared foods. Now there is good selection available.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:35 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Be prepared to redirect the conversation if it devolves to leaky bowel syndrome.
Hysterical.
I have seen this happen !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink