Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:50 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,961 times

Advertisements

I hope I never have to prepare a meal for people who are allergic to everything!
I'll just serve wine and and tell everyone their on their on for food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 01:36 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
I hope I never have to prepare a meal for people who are allergic to everything!
I'll just serve wine and and tell everyone their on their on for food.
It happens. When my family gets together for holidays and such we have think about people who are vegetarian, celiac, on blood thinners (so no leafy greens or cruciferous veggies.) You just have to plan ahead.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:30 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,961 times
So far so good, no one I personally know has any issues. I cook well rounded meals so maybe I've had enough variety for everyone.

It definitely something to think about when entertaining large groups of people.
The no salt isn't gonna fly though. They'll be eating raw fruits and veggies.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,838 times
I am intolerant to quite a few foods but back when gluten was my only known problem friends invited us to their home for dinner. She was aware of my gluten-intolerance and commented that the menu would be fine for me. Yep, she served breaded chicken cutlets with no awareness at all. I scraped the breading off as discreetly as possible and said "no thanks" when she offered me dinner rolls.

This is why we go to restaurants not peoples homes, it's just too much of a challenge for people to figure out and I like not being nervous about offending anyone when I can't eat what they have prepared. It's not about weight, it's a gastro disorder that I do not care to explain in detail to everyone and their brother.

Here's the interesting thing about my "breaded chicken" friend: when I ran into her a year later she found out she was gluten-intolerant and was now eating (and cooking) gluten-free.

For those who left snarky replies in this thread: we don't choose to be difficult about what we can/cannot eat but I learn a lot about people by the way they reply to someone else problems. I wouldn't eat their gumbo even if I could cuz I wouldn't trust the chef.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I only know one person with celiac and only saw her at pot luck events where she would obviously bring something she could eat and there was a big enough variety of other things to not make it an issue. I personally have been allergic to corn and corn products since I was born and it was a struggle for my family to deal with while I was growing up. Time and a decade of allergy shots lessoned the symptoms which I manage and accept as part of my life. I eat corn stuff and don't even think about it anymore.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:38 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
My niece is allergic to all things in the onion family. It's very difficult for her to eat in restaurants, because there are onions, garlic, shallots, etc., in EVERYTHING. She can't ever get pasta, because no one makes sauce without garlic and onions.

Old 06-02-2017, 03:48 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,427,685 times
Sand, rocks, sticks and such..

My brother was diagnosed a few years ago as having an allergy to casein and apparently peanuts..
It's not a serious life threatening allergy but it causes congestion among other discomforts..

He's a guy that grew up thinking a peanut butter sandwich, some milk and cheese products were all major food groups..
Not to mention he loves Mashed potato's of course made with milk or cream..

When he comes for dinner which is rarely we buy unflavored rice milk for his mashers and use real butter instead of the margarine we grew up using..

There was a woman that went to the church dinners I used to prepare. She had some very strange allergies..
They seemed to disappear when the food was something she enjoyed..

She said she was deathly allergic to chicken wings and gluten..
Yet when I cooked chicken pot pie from scratch or made mac and cheese her deadly allergies magically disappeared..

If I only had a dime for every time someone said they were allergic to onions or black pepper only to consume these items when it was something they did enjoy.

It's really makes it hard for folks who truly are allergic to gluten, onions etc....

Old 06-02-2017, 04:34 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Yes, the onion allergy is fairly unusual. She has only met a few others. She kept breaking out in hives and couldn't figure out why. Finally got tested.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:30 AM

600 posts, read 567,270 times
Only 1% of the U.S. population has Celiac disease. Yet 90% of the 1% who has the disease found their way to City-Data.

Those are some crazy stats!

Old 06-04-2017, 05:44 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Only 1% of the U.S. population has Celiac disease. Yet 90% of the 1% who has the disease found their way to City-Data.

Those are some crazy stats!
I agree. But there is a difference between having celiac disease and being gluten intolerant. The latter has been overused by consumers (often thinking it's a way to lose weight), over diagnosed by physicians (who give up trying to figure out why the patient keeps co,playing of feeling bloated), and overplayed by restaurants in an attempt to get business from all those people who suddenly develop a gluten problem

Celiac is a SERIOUS disease. Gluten intolerance CAN be very uncomfortable. But the real, properly diagnosed cases are few and far between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink