Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:04 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Seafood gumbo can easily be made GF with an alternative thickener like rice, tapioca, coconut or almond flours.
I thought authentic gumbo uses file to thicken instead of flour rouixe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 01:08 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
LOL, I'll let someone else take the file' vs roux tangent. I'm known for my dark-roux gumbo, so I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Well the other poster was referring to making gumbo so that the guest would have to bring their own food, so I had to assume he was referring to making it with a flour-based roux. I'm not sure how easy it is for most people to find file powder.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:31 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,297,647 times
Here's an easy one: Cook onion and bite-sized pieces of chicken breast in coconut (or olive) oil. When chicken is pretty much cooked, add grated apple. (Season as desired.) Serve with potatoes, vegetables, salad.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:06 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,740 times
I get that you asked and some allergies are easy to accommodate but no dairy or gluten is very limiting, if I was that person I would offer to bring something for myself. You could ask them if they have any suggestions for recipes but I wouldn't be excited to cook gluten dairy free for an entire dinner party.

Not to mention gluten is hard to eliminate if you're not framiliar with it. Also, most people who are gluten free don't have an actual gluten intolerance,but that's a whole other debate.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
She didn't say whether she was gluten allergic or intolerant; however, she is very social, attends many cocktail parties, and eats in restaurants regularly. I'm betting intolerant, or maybe she's one of those who believes this will help her lose weight.

Dirt Grinder, I get your point, but asked the question, so I deserve the result. But if someone is truly allergic (celiac disease), they are going to be super careful. Or only eat their own cooking.

I'll end up with something straight forward. Meat, veggies, salad, potatoes. Maybe two veggies. Horse duerves- she can skip the cheese and crackers and eat the prosciutto and salami.
I'm very social, attend cocktail parties, and eat out regularly. I'm not some who is just intolerant or doing it to lose weight. I have Celiac Disease. Please don't make assumptions, without actually knowing. I don't disagree that the majority of people do it as a diet thing, but some of us have Celiac and have the "socializing thing" down.

I had to do the no cow's milk thing for a while (still am, mostly, although my current allergist ALONG with my gastro are letting me slowly add it back in) since I've been cross reacting to something (no gluten in my most recent tests, even with all my socializing!) I can tolerate goat cheese, however.

Everyone here has made (for the most part) lovely suggestions. I'm partial to a good rosemary and garlic cornish hen (Costco to save money,) mashed sweet potatoes, bacon roasted Brussels sprouts, and roasted asparagus, for dinner parties. Use margarine instead of butter. Olive Oil is safe, obviously. If you have a Whole Foods, you can pick up a gluten/dairy free French Baguette, in the frozen section (if you want.) Trader Joe's has an awesome goat cheese section (goat gouda, cheddar, brie, etc.)

Also, neither farro nor barley are gluten free, to the poster who mentioned that earlier.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:53 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
How about asking the people with the specialized food plan to either bring their own food, suggest one or two items to serve that are simple and readily available ie fresh fruit or to eat beforehand.

I would NEVER expect or want a whole dinner party built around one person's preferences. If someone tried to do that for me [yes I have a specific food plan] I would be so uncomfortable I would not go. I ALWAYS tell people I will bring my own food and it is win win because we are both relieved.

I go to enjoy people's company. I can always enjoy fresh fruit and tea and a dish I bring. Less stress for everyone.

Old 01-18-2017, 02:58 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,130,332 times
You can make lasagna, just get some gf noodles use a vegan cheese instead of the cow cheese. I'd probably make shepherds pie. Deviled eggs for snacks. (gf mayo)

Old 01-18-2017, 03:05 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I get that you asked and some allergies are easy to accommodate but no dairy or gluten is very limiting, if I was that person I would offer to bring something for myself. You could ask them if they have any suggestions for recipes but I wouldn't be excited to cook gluten dairy free for an entire dinner party.

Not to mention gluten is hard to eliminate if you're not framiliar with it. Also, most people who are gluten free don't have an actual gluten intolerance,but that's a whole other debate.
It's really not very limiting ... a lot of ideas that require nothing special have been mentioned in this thread, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. It just takes a bit of thought. It's possible to plan, cook, and serve an entire meal without anyone thinking that there's anything missing or that it's been planned to avoid cow dairy or gluten. There are plenty of "normal" recipes that naturally avoid both (or can easily avoid both with simple omissions or substitutions of other standard ingredients).

Let's see ... I'll start with an appetizer of bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese. Perhaps a curried pumpkin soup. For dinner, port braised short ribs, balsamic roasted brussels sprouts, and mushroom risotto, and since dinner was pretty heavy, a raspberry sorbet for dessert. Nothing in that is out of the ordinary, requires special ingredients specific to dietary restrictions, or screams "gluten free!" or "cow dairy free!"

If I want an Asian flair, I could do spring rolls, tom kha shrimp soup, chicken pad thai, and sweetened sticky rice with mango for dessert.

Want Mexican? Keep the starter easy with a salsa, guac, and bean dip trio with corn chips, Posole soup, fish tacos with cabbage and jicama slaw, roasted or grilled corn, and finish with black bean brownies (yeah, I know it sounds odd, but they are seriously yummy brownies and no one can ever tell that they're made with black beans!)

The point is, it's really not as hard as people make it seem. I think most people have eaten meals that are gluten and/or cow dairy free and never gave it a thought. But when somebody mentions a dietary restriction, suddenly people freak out and think "there's absolutely nothing I can make that doesn't require buying a bunch of expensive GF ingredients I'll never use again!!" When honestly, they probably already have recipes in their arsenal that would work with minor adjustments (if any).

Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's really not very limiting ... a lot of ideas that require nothing special have been mentioned in this thread, and it's just the tip of the iceberg. It just takes a bit of thought. It's possible to plan, cook, and serve an entire meal without anyone thinking that there's anything missing or that it's been planned to avoid cow dairy or gluten. There are plenty of "normal" recipes that naturally avoid both (or can easily avoid both with simple omissions or substitutions of other standard ingredients).

Let's see ... I'll start with an appetizer of bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese. Perhaps a curried pumpkin soup. For dinner, port braised short ribs, balsamic roasted brussels sprouts, and mushroom risotto, and since dinner was pretty heavy, a raspberry sorbet for dessert. Nothing in that is out of the ordinary, requires special ingredients specific to dietary restrictions, or screams "gluten free!" or "cow dairy free!"

If I want an Asian flair, I could do spring rolls, tom kha shrimp soup, chicken pad thai, and sweetened sticky rice with mango for dessert.

Want Mexican? Keep the starter easy with a salsa, guac, and bean dip trio with corn chips, Posole soup, fish tacos with cabbage and jicama slaw, roasted or grilled corn, and finish with black bean brownies (yeah, I know it sounds odd, but they are seriously yummy brownies and no one can ever tell that they're made with black beans!)

The point is, it's really not as hard as people make it seem. I think most people have eaten meals that are gluten and/or cow dairy free and never gave it a thought. But when somebody mentions a dietary restriction, suddenly people freak out and think "there's absolutely nothing I can make that doesn't require buying a bunch of expensive GF ingredients I'll never use again!!" When honestly, they probably already have recipes in their arsenal that would work with minor adjustments (if any).
These are good suggestions too, with one modification....the risotto. You would need to sub pecorino (sheep) for the Parmesan. And some people use butter in risotto, so a margarine, there, too.

Bacon wrapped dates are SO good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink