Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 04:59 PM

16,422 posts, read 12,525,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
No thanks, that's not how I make my gumbo.
I bet you'd never be able to tell the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,836 times
Stir fry using gluten-free soy sauce or other GF stir-fry sauces. A lot of those things have some wheat in them, if only used as a thickening agent. And look for casein in the ingredient list as well - that's a milk protein.

And serve with rice. And next time, offer to take them out to their favorite restaraunt instead.

Personally I have zero tolerance for having to cook for somebody else's special diet. That's what I'd have done in the first place - dinner out somewhere they pick, on my tab. I just don't want to go out and buy special stuff I'll never use myself and cook in a method I'll hopefully never use again, and then worry about making a mistake and making someone sick.

GET THEE TO AN EATERY, I say! LOL!

Old 01-17-2017, 05:06 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I bet you'd never be able to tell the difference.
I make a dark roux for my gumbo, so other thickeners (like gluten-free cornstarch) don't appeal to me. Besides, the Andouille I use isn't GF either.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:09 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,608,853 times
How about a big pot of beef chili? I have a niece who has several food allergies and the chili was an easy choice for her.

Any cow dairy (cheese, sour cream) can be served on the side and folks can garnish how they wish. You can google a recipe for gluten free corn muffins and sub soy milk for regular or buttermilk in the muffins. Add a salad with a lime vinagrette and you're good.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:23 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
It only sounds hard. I became allergic to all dairy products and it was hard at first but now it's simple. Don't make something obviously full of cheese like lasagna or mac and cheese. Just make something that doesn't have cheese and if it needs milk, use milk in most of it but hold out some and use almond milk in that part.

I thicken things with corn starch sometimes. She could have that. You dissolve the corn starch in COLD water and then stir it in to make the sauce or gravy.

Tonight I made chicken a la king--leftover chicken cut up, peas, carrots--combined into a cornstarch thickened sauce and served over rice. She could eat that.

Buy a small container of Smart Balance for her to use instead of butter. It won't hurt you to use it up--it tastes fine and it doesn't have trans fats so it's healthy. She can eat omelets made with water. She can eat pot roast as long as her part isn't thickened with flour. Cornstarch instead or she would probably be happy to just have it with no gravy--take hers out and set it aside before making any gravy. She can eat chile. You can even make soups but hold her serving aside if it's a cream soup and add almond milk to her serving. She will REALLY appreciate it.

Some of the paleo recipes would work:
http://www.paleoplan.com/recipes/

Paleo usually leaves out potatoes but you can just ignore it. She can eat potatoes.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:37 PM

Chili (as someone else mentioned)
White Chicken Chili
Thai coconut curry chicken
Enchiladas (made with corn tortillas, just put a few in a smaller dish without cheese)
Black bean and corn salad (to go with any of the mexican style dishes)
Shepherds Pie
Meatloaf (made with crushed Rice Chex instead of breadcrumbs)
Braised Short Ribs
Citrus roasted chicken
Balsamic roasted brussels sprouts with pancetta (side)
Fajitas
Indian Biryani (chicken, lamb, etc.)
Kalua Pork (crock pot, 3 ingredients, super easy!)
Spaghetti squash with spinach, bacon and goat cheese
Taco Soup
Frittata
Pork Carnitas
Shredded beef tacos
Sausage and kraut or sauteed cabbage

None of these require special GF products or strange techniques. Find a new recipe and have fun learning something new!

Last edited by hertfordshire; 01-17-2017 at 06:25 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 05:43 PM

965 posts, read 939,778 times
I have found rice noodles, pasta joy brand. Theynateperfect el dente, and I will never use another brand, I am pretty sure they make lasagna noodles.

Goat cheese is 100% better than cow cheese (imo). It is so worth trying something just alittle bit different sometimes.
Those are two very simple food things to work around lol at least imo.
We can all climb out out of our boxes from time to time, or not! But being annoyed, making fun of, and talking behind people's back, is silly and so passive aggressive. And it does no one any favors.

Personally I won't eat with most people any longer because they make such a big damn deal out of my food allergies. And I do NOT ever say a word, unless I am at a restaurant.

Btw, I can pick and choose from almost any meal, if it is simple enough. Being annoyed with what people cannot can't eat doesn't help anyone. If they are jerks about it why are you breaking bread with them?

Certainly a few years ago when I finally found out what was making me vomit uncontrollably I was in shock. But for sure it was worth it to change my diet. But oh thing is miss, spinach...... and the not thinking about what I eat that is HEALTY for me, and I can no longer have. So sad.. but I just decided to be happy with what I can eat.

Imagine my chagrin to find out I am allergic to lettuce and spinach, and the whole beautiful family, chard even. Imagine? Ohhhh, and onions, which leads itself to probably garlic now.... and oh yah wheat..... then things I could live without, like carrots, peas. Alas, gasp possibly legumes along with the peas..... I do eat pretty plain now, and a lot more meat than before. I was almost vegetarian until this. It is like having a disease.

Actually half the reason I don't eat with most people is that they drink, and then even after just one, they start to comment on what I can't eat.

If I am cooking the meal it even happens, and I will cook something for others that I can't eat, I just don't tell them, and I am happy doing it.

It is awful having issues with food. PLEASE Do not ask someone unless you REALLY want to know, or do for them.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Maybe you could share your proposed menu, and using it as a learning experience...Ask her what you might sub to fit her restrictions.

I do think you could do lasagna, and there have been some substitutes mentioned. Not sure about the garlic bread. There are gluten free breads, and gluten free pastas. I have found the gluten free pastas pricey for the amount of pastas that I cook.

It can be a nice experience learning about these issues and gathering new recipes.

Many good recipe sites online, some with great menu suggestions.

Here are just a couple....there were many links that came up using "gluten free dairy free recipes"

https://simplygluten-free.com/gluten...ee-main-dishes

this one even has appetizers http://www.glutenfreediva.com/recipes/

Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Well, it's finally happened. Somebody answered my question about food preferences and allergies with a problematic result.

Gluten and cow dairy free. She's already offered to bring desert, which I quickly and gratefully accepted.

I'm not that familiar with gluten free. Cow dairy means no milk, cream, yogurt or cheese, I guess?

So I'm not making lasagne, huh? Am I really limited to plain meat, plain vegies and roasted/baked potatoes? PS - there will be 8 people at this little dinner party!

Spaghetti with gluten free noodles. Hold the cheese for her. :-) Side salad. Dessert. Done.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:33 PM

If you decide to do something like spaghetti with GF pasta, I would honestly recommend having wheat pasta for yourself and the other guests as well as GF pasta for the person who needs it. Folks who are GF are used to the texture, but depending on the brand/type, it can be disappointing to folks who get to enjoy the real thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink