Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 07:26 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's an adventurous menu. Or perhaps adventitious.
I'll be charitable and assume you're going for humor rather than sarcasm. (PS Auto correct on new tablets does interesting and unexpected things.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 08:47 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Agree. I also dislike vegan or vegetarian meat alternatives.

I eat most of my meals gluten free anyway. I grew up with rice as my staple starch. Being careful about any prepared sauces and choosing mostly whole foods makes it super easy.
Same here. I am vegetarian, but I don't buy those fake meat things that supposed taste like chicken or ham. There's plenty to eat without having to resort to that. Just use whole foods, as someone already said.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,567,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'll be charitable and assume you're going for humor rather than sarcasm. (PS Auto correct on new tablets does interesting and unexpected things.)
Well in view of the comment about adventitious, that wouldn't be charitable that would just be normal. Trying to shoehorn that comment into sarcasm would be a stretch.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:14 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,917 times
There's many Rice varieties. Many cultures base all 3 meals on rice. Here in Hawaii, we have Rice on the McDonalds breakfast menu (with shoyu, of course).

Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
I've already chimed in but once again...

When I go for Thanksgiving at a friend's, she just checks with me as to what I can eat. I'm good with the turkey, squash, turnip, peas, etc. Instead of mashing ALL the potatoes with milk, she might set aside some of the potato before she mashes it and that would be for me.

(I can eat gluten so the stuffing and such are no problem.)

I bring my almond milk in case I want to mash my own potato with it or in case I want something in my coffee. I may bring a little plastic container of my Smart Balance to substitute for real butter. I don't eat the rolls at all because they probably contain dairy.

There is enough for me to eat but something like lasagna would be a total disaster because it's a once dish meal and the cheese is IN it. As long as you have a dinner that consists of several separate foods, she'll be ok. The main problem for me is the dessert--and you said she is bringing the dessert.

When I go to my cousin's at Christmas, she is proud of herself because she has figured out how to make dairy free scalloped potatoes! You can't even tell the difference.

Your new friend should know what to bring (would be nice if she's going to need "cream" for her coffee if she brought her own version of milk and if she needs "butter", would be nice if she would offer to bring whatever butter substitute she uses.) I do these things automatically because I'm an old pro at this, having been diagnosed long ago. But if she's new to this, it might be hard for her. Worst thing is you don't want her to feel left out or to go hungry at your house.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've already chimed in but once again...

When I go for Thanksgiving at a friend's, she just checks with me as to what I can eat. I'm good with the turkey, squash, turnip, peas, etc. Instead of mashing ALL the potatoes with milk, she might set aside some of the potato before she mashes it and that would be for me.

(I can eat gluten so the stuffing and such are no problem.)

I bring my almond milk in case I want to mash my own potato with it or in case I want something in my coffee. I may bring a little plastic container of my Smart Balance to substitute for real butter. I don't eat the rolls at all because they probably contain dairy.

There is enough for me to eat but something like lasagna would be a total disaster because it's a once dish meal and the cheese is IN it. As long as you have a dinner that consists of several separate foods, she'll be ok. The main problem for me is the dessert--and you said she is bringing the dessert.

When I go to my cousin's at Christmas, she is proud of herself because she has figured out how to make dairy free scalloped potatoes! You can't even tell the difference.

Your new friend should know what to bring (would be nice if she's going to need "cream" for her coffee if she brought her own version of milk and if she needs "butter", would be nice if she would offer to bring whatever butter substitute she uses.) I do these things automatically because I'm an old pro at this, having been diagnosed long ago. But if she's new to this, it might be hard for her. Worst thing is you don't want her to feel left out or to go hungry at your house.
I get these great mashed potatoes at a deli counter at the kosher supermarket near where I work. They are parve (able to be eaten with either meat or dairy) so I know they have no milk or butter in them, but they are really good. Obviously they have garlic, but I wonder if they put anything else in there, some type of vegetable oil or fat. I will have to ask.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:17 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Well, it's finally happened. Somebody answered my question about food preferences and allergies with a problematic result.

Gluten and cow dairy free. She's already offered to bring desert, which I quickly and gratefully accepted.

I'm not that familiar with gluten free. Cow dairy means no milk, cream, yogurt or cheese, I guess?

So I'm not making lasagne, huh? Am I really limited to plain meat, plain vegies and roasted/baked potatoes? PS - there will be 8 people at this little dinner party!
Really? You want to try to make lasagna without cheese? And gluten is what holds noodles together.

Pick a different main dish. If your oven has a convection setting, roast Cornish game hens with a couple vegetable sides would be good. Getting multiple levels of an oven to cook evenly is difficult without a convection fan. I would pick something like garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli al dente for sides. A gluten and dairy free soup is simple; you can use wild rice or pearl barley as the cereal filler. Somebody mentioned stuffed bell peppers, which is also a good idea.

Here's hoping your food nut guest doesn't ruin the dinner for everyone. Be prepared to redirect the conversation if it devolves to leaky bowel syndrome.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:19 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,436,557 times
Look up Paleo recipes online. You will find literally thousands of ideas. It's not that hard.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:19 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,525,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Really? You want to try to make lasagna without cheese? And gluten is what holds noodles together.
There are gluten free lasagna noodles if the OP really wanted to do some form of lasagna.

Quote:
A gluten and dairy free soup is simple; you can use wild rice or pearl barley as the cereal filler.
Since this needs to be said multiple times in this thread ... BARLEY IS NOT GLUTEN FREE!
(Sorry, the bold all caps isn't just directed at you)

Last edited by hertfordshire; 01-19-2017 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 02:40 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,847 times
Quote:

Pick a different main dish. If your oven has a convection setting, roast Cornish game hens with a couple vegetable sides would be good. Getting multiple levels of an oven to cook evenly is difficult without a convection fan. I would pick something like garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli al dente for sides. A gluten and dairy free soup is simple; you can use wild rice or pearl barley as the cereal filler. Somebody mentioned stuffed bell peppers, which is also a good idea.

Here's hoping your food nut guest doesn't ruin the dinner for everyone. Be prepared to redirect the conversation if it devolves to leaky bowel syndrome.
Clearly, you didn't read (or just skimmed) any of the other replies.

There are SO many dishes that are gluten and dairy free (and again, she JUST cannot use cow's milk...even Trader Joe's sells GOAT milk, which is another great alternative) and many people listed them here.

I just shake my head at ignorant people and move on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink