Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,809,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Lemon and rosemary roasted cornish game hens with rosemary and olive oil roasted potatoes and whatever veggies looks good. A nice salad to start and some good crusty bread with butter or olive oil.
This is what I was going to suggest, almost exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Lemon and rosemary roasted cornish game hens with rosemary and olive oil roasted potatoes and whatever veggies looks good. A nice salad to start and some good crusty bread with butter or olive oil.
Except for the cost of those eight little suckers, THAT sounded damn good. . . Still might pop for it.

I might just go for three roast chickens, fresh veggies and roasted potatoes. Or maybe roast pork.

I'd like to find something a little upscale (so no chili) that doesn't require me to be in the kitchen (so no fried fish). And I agree about not buying a bunch of ingrediants I'll never use again.

Making this even more challenging is that this particular guest is not someone we know well. At all. She's part of a group of people we do know well, and we're trying to include her (as well as get to know her better).

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 01-17-2017 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Well, it's finally happened. Somebody answered my question about food preferences and allergies with a problematic result.

Gluten and cow dairy free. She's already offered to bring desert, which I quickly and gratefully accepted.

I'm not that familiar with gluten free. Cow dairy means no milk, cream, yogurt or cheese, I guess?

So I'm not making lasagne, huh? Am I really limited to plain meat, plain vegies and roasted/baked potatoes? PS - there will be 8 people at this little dinner party!
Interesting that she qualified "dairy" with "cow". Sounds as if she will eat goat or sheep milk products.

I can best you by one. Last week I made a dish that was vegan, gluten-free, and onion-free (I have a niece who is allergic to everything in the onion family--garlic, scallions, everything.)

Made a gluten-free pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, artichokes, and broccoli with smoked olive oil and smoked salt and other herbs.

My daughter is vegan and gluten-intolerant. The onion-free niece is vegetarian.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Gluten is also in a lot of packaged foods bottled sauces etc. If you are using anything other then whole foods (i.e. raw unprocessed meats and produce) then make sure you check the labels. Of course I think 90% of people that eat gluten free (myself included) are not Celiac and don't necessarily have an adverse reaction to gluten.
My dd does not have Celiac disease, but she has a reaction to gluten. If she eats anything more than a morsel of bread, her stomach will pop out like she's three months along within an hour, and she will have intestinal pain and diarrhea for the next three days.

Gluten is in weird things you wouldn't think of like soy sauce. The other thing I learned with her being gf is how many restaurants add flour to their mashed potatoes. I think that's a sin.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If you decide to do something like spaghetti with GF pasta, I would honestly recommend having wheat pasta for yourself and the other guests as well as GF pasta for the person who needs it. Folks who are GF are used to the texture, but depending on the brand/type, it can be disappointing to folks who get to enjoy the real thing
Trader Joe's used to have a corn pasta. I really liked it, and I would buy it for myself even though I don't have a gluten problem. Then they stopped carrying it and have a quinoa and brown rice pasta instead. I'll eat that, too, but I really liked that corn pasta.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Some other ideas I don't see here:

Grilled or roasted salmon with salsa or my fave chimichurri
Side dishes: quinoa tabbouleh, rice, bean and corn salad, roasted potatoes

I love to make morroccan chicken stew. Interesting and fairly easy. My variation uses diced tomatoes, cumin, saffron, olives, and dried fruit. Maybe some chickpeas too. Serve with rice. And maybe some sautéed greens.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I would make something naturally gluten/dairy free instead of changing a recipe. That can be hit or miss, and you have other guests to consider.

I ate gluten free for two years. The adapted foods were tolerable at best.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2017, 09:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I would make something naturally gluten/dairy free instead of changing a recipe. That can be hit or miss, and you have other guests to consider.

Agree. I also dislike vegan or vegetarian meat alternatives.

I eat most of my meals gluten free anyway. I grew up with rice as my staple starch. Being careful about any prepared sauces and choosing mostly whole foods makes it super easy.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:41 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Gluten is generally found in wheat based foods. You can use other grains like rice, rice flour, corn, barley, farro, etc.
Wrong! Barley has gluten in it.

DW has celiac disease. We have been eating GF for 30 years.

It is pretty easy to find GF pasta in better grocery stores (not Safeway). So you can cook a variety of Italian dishes that way. We cook a lot of pasta with pesto sauce. Just leave off the Parmesan cheese.

We also cook a lot of Asian food with rice noodles. Stir fry, Thai food, things like that. Cheese (or other dairy products) is not used in Asian food so that would be a possibility. But if you don't own a wok and aren't used to Asian food cooking I don't recommend that.

Lots of chicken casseroles like Chicken Cacciatore can be done. But of course leave out any Parm cheese.

If your guest is strict GF, you should check the label of sauces that you use. Quite often flour products are used to thicken sauces. Even soy sauce has gluten in it but you can find GF soy sauce.

If you're gonna have hors d'ouevers, there are some good rice crackers available. If you buy dip, read the label to make sure they did not put flour products in it.

Of course there is always meat, potatoes and salad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink