Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:55 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
And then there are the soup snobs...
I guess. I put Campbell’s soup on the same level as Vermont Maid pancake syrup. It’s what I was fed as a kid but I moved on to better food quality as an adult. With my own cooking, I also went from General Foods recipes based on their processed foods to better ingredients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 05:01 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
When I eat canned soup, it's usually Progresso. I noticed Campbells is much more broth than soup.
Progresso has some excellent soup, but I have compared the two in Manhatten Clam Chowder and I prefer the Cambells in that flavor, at least till they change it to improve it.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I like Cambells New England Clam Chowder and Manhatten Clam Chowder. We will eat the Cambells Chicken and Rice if we have a cold. However , it ain’t like it used to be. Very very little chicken and I think they have started adding carrots ,probably as a substitute for the chicken. Progresso makes the best potato soup.
For good clam chowder, use a bag of Bear Creek Potato Soup and add four cans of minced clams. The juice is about three cups and add five cups of water. I also add cayenne pepper, about a teaspoon. If you have bacon, cook a couple of pieces in the bottom of the pan first then crumble.

The only Campbells Soup I eat is tomato with a grilled cheese.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:27 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
...I noticed Campbells is much more broth than soup.
I guess you've never had the New England Clam Chowder or Cream of <insert item here> soups. I admit I'll occasionally eat a can of soup.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:36 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Are we giving recipes? Cuz Tomato soup with fr pepper, wine, onion flakes, and parmesan..lots.
And the grilled cheese sandwich with bread and butter pickles somewhere.
Thanks for the meatloaf recipe...glad you use Onion soup mix.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:12 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
I often make on person in one sauce pan dinners, and Campbells soup is the base for a lot of them. You take a can of chicken rice, and add about a half can of canned tomatoes. Then chop up an onion and add more or less, depending on how much you like onions, and then spices. Add the garlic when the rest is mixed and hot, and stir it in well. The taste will vary according to the spices, but I like garlic and oregino and basel to start with. You can use the taste and add method too.

I cut up a few carrots and make sure they go in early enough they cook soft, and often I add ginger to it as well. But that's the neat part. It's quite individual.

And cook it just long enough for the raw things to be cooked, stir well and let it rest for a little bit. But you get a unique mix of flavors like a seasoned stew which doesn't take nearly as long. Most of the time the canned soup I buy ends up being a base for something else, but it great if you don't want a huge pot full you are stuck with eating yourself. Even if it comes out delicious, it wears off after a couple of days of it for lunch and dinner.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:22 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
They have something called Homestyle or Home made chicken noodle that I love when I have a cold with a sore throat.

Because it’s salty. Soothes my salt. That’s funny. Soothes my throat.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-28-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Im loving the recipes...thanks.
i always have their Tomato soup and their Chicken soup around.
Maybe cuz I lived around so many Jewish grandmothers in NYC....I must doctor up chicken soup
with curry, dill weed and parsnips, tho.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
Yes, the brand quality has gone downhill, we stopped buying Campbell's soups years ago. Their condensed beef broth still has a place in a few of our recipes and we have to use unsalted versions of other ingredients to compensate for the over-the-top salt content in the broth.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Has this gone downhill in recent years? I don't remember it tasting quite this...salty, greasy, and overall gross! And it's not because my palate has improved, because I still enjoy all my other junky food, and Campbell's soup was never that.
We are not huge eaters of canned soups, usually make my own but that being said, I haven't really seen much difference. Spoiled brat still enjoys a can of Campbell's bacon and bean soup and I still enjoy using Campbell's for cooking. It is rather high in sodium so I just remember not to add additional salt when using it for casseroles or gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink