Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 09:55 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times

Advertisements

I think the best way to enjoy Mochi ice cream balls is to squeeze the ice cream into your mouth and throw the Mochi away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 06:51 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,319,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It wasn't available here before as a frozen ice cream treat tho....& nobody has to to go out of their way because you can now get it at Target or Walmart. Mi/Mo has said they are marketing it toward millennials....not that that is the only people that can buy it.

The only reason I know what it is tho & wanted to try one...is because of my friends that are also millenials & other You Tubers.......because of the "fad" or popularity craze it has right now.........I have never seen or heard a commercial for it. It's all social media.......

LOL just because it wasn't available in stores doesn't automatically make it a fad. Mochi has been around for ages. Mochi ice cream has been around since the 80's. You used to only be able to get it at specialty/Asian grocery stores, or if you went to an Asian/Japanese restaurant that had them as a dessert option. Sushi and Hibachi restuarants helped increase its popularity, because as I stated, food has evolved, and people are also more open to trying ethnic foods compared to 10+ years ago.

Social media is a great way to advertise, so of course you'd see it on FB or Instagram. The ones in the grocery stores MIGHT be targeted to millennials, or maybe that was the marketing scheme of the specific brand you purchased. Regardless, your judging a food item that was pre-packaged with preservatives. I think you should go somewhere where they make it fresh and see if that changes your mind on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It's far from a fad. Mochi have been around for quite awhile. The Japanese have had this dessert in one iteration or another for centuries. While using ice cream as a filling is fairly recent, the idea is not. Also, if the mochi ice cream you're eating is how you describe, I would suggest searching out better quality because you're apparently getting the bottom of the barrel.

This guy gets it.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:57 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Our local Wegmans used to carry mochi, which I loved, in the sushi section. Now they just carry the mochi ice cream. Maybe I should try that, but I've pretty much sworn off all ice cream since I'm watching my fat and cholesterol intake. It does sound pretty tasty though!

Old 02-04-2020, 07:08 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
People need to learn the difference between a fad and a trend.

Fads have a quick life span. They're quickly introduced, rapidly rise in popularity, then they die out and mostly go away.

Trends have a long lifespan, but experience a rise and fall in popularity.

Mochi ice cream is currently trendy. But it's been around for decades and will still be around after the trend dies down.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:01 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
LOL just because it wasn't available in stores doesn't automatically make it a fad. Mochi has been around for ages. Mochi ice cream has been around since the 80's.

No...what makes it a fad is the internet turning it into a popular craze right now.....shrugs..............

BUT....my post asked for what are people's favorite flavors & if they like it or not..........so not many people read or got my post.........

Old 02-04-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I think the best way to enjoy Mochi ice cream balls is to squeeze the ice cream into your mouth and throw the Mochi away.

Ita with you.........

I was really disappointed....& don't get their popularity............it looks better than it tastes.......

Old 02-04-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
The powder (corn starch) isn't meant to be sweet. It's meant to keep the coating, which is made of sticky rice (hence why it has little flavor) from sticking to your fingers.

I love mochi. I love mochi ice cream. You don't. All people are different. Isn't it interesting when we're not all the same?

Mhm....I explained the coating to a couple posters that were saying it was their favorite part.........back....in a different post. Thank you tho for getting it..........

A N D.....I know people are different ofc. I was looking for people that like it so they could tell me their favorite flavors. Maybe I just had a bad one. You didn't answer my question in my O.P. tho...........since you love it...........what's your favorite flavor?

e d i t: I tried the mango.......

Old 02-04-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
No...what makes it a fad is the internet turning it into a popular craze right now.....shrugs..............

BUT....my post asked for what are people's favorite flavors & if they like it or not..........so not many people read or got my post.........

Not a fad, just the latest trend. As another poster mentioned, big difference between a fad and a trend.

ANYWAAAAAAY.....my favorite ones are chocolate, red bean, and green tea.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
So....I finally tried this stuff.....A N D....I gotta say, I was kinda disappointed. They say they are marketed for the millenial......& they are so popular......but count me as a millenial that probably won't be buying them again. The stuff on the outside is super weird......it tricks you into thinking it is powdered sugar.... A N D.....the mochi coating is kinda blah............

What flavor is your favorite.....if you like them?
I don't think you've tried real mochi ice cream. I'm very disappointed with the frozen mochi ice cream in the freezer section.

Mochi ice cream originally came out decades ago as dessert you order from specialty shops like a Bubble tea place. They take fresh made mochi and stuff ice cream in there.

The biggest problem I have is the quality of mochi used today is horrible. Rubbery, probably contains a lot of preservatives to make it so stiff.

Real mochi is art. When it is fresh it goes bad very quickly. I've had fresh made mochi that was still warm it is like eating sticky buns with the texture of tofu.

You'll be disappointed when you have these frozen mochi that taste like playdough.

Next time, try finding a Japanese place that sells fresh mochi in the cold aisle, it is silky and smooth. Purists that eat mochi do not like it with ice cream.

This is from Misuwa Supermarket.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Ita with you.........

I was really disappointed....& don't get their popularity............it looks better than it tastes.......

People who don't like desserts that are deemed to be too sweet are the ones that enjoy them. Japanese and most Asians love them, because as I said, Asians don't care for American and European desserts because to them they are too sweet. So if you love desserts, but can handle a ton of sugar, mochi may be something you would enjoy. Or if you want the best of both worlds, you get mochi ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink