Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times

Advertisements

I recall being put off Banquet's offerings when they started cutting their fried chicken into odd, unrecognizable pieces and trying to compensate by excessively breading them. I'm guessing the mystery pieces were cut that way to conform to weight requirements; they became known in my family as "unidentified fried objects". Call me fancy, but I like to know what I'm eating, and if the piece of chicken isn't in a familiar form, I start to wonder if it is even chicken.

When I buy frozen foods like these, I tend to gravitate toward Stouffer's or Marie Callender's, though the Boston Garden-branded line is usually good, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 08:18 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I recall being put off Banquet's offerings when they started cutting their fried chicken into odd, unrecognizable pieces and trying to compensate by excessively breading them. I'm guessing the mystery pieces were cut that way to conform to weight requirements; they became known in my family as "unidentified fried objects". Call me fancy, but I like to know what I'm eating, and if the piece of chicken isn't in a familiar form, I start to wonder if it is even chicken.

When I buy frozen foods like these, I tend to gravitate toward Stouffer's or Marie Callender's, though the Boston Garden-branded line is usually good, too.
Do you mean Boston market? They probably have the best pot pies.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:40 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I have never seen a Banquet Mexican dinner! I wonder if that's a regional thing?

"Hungry Man," yes (and they are goooood).
I've never seen them. Ever.

My son will eat a Hungry Man once in a while. I once saw him eat two about three hours apart after pulling a double shift outside in the winter. Young, thin, active guys can put away massive amounts of food.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:21 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I remember getting these frozen shrimp cocktails. They came in a small glass with a bunch of tiny shrimp buried in cocktail sauce. Mom saved them for breakfast glasses.
I remember those. I used to ask for them when mom was willing to buy me a treat.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:58 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,270,326 times
I remember Swanson Mexican Style Dinner. I loved those long ago. Then I tried one years later...it was AWFUL.

I've enjoyed a Stouffer's dinner on occasion; I can't recall a specific Banquet dinner, so now I'll probably see one.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:48 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Do people actually like "Banquet" frozen meals?

When I was a kid (we're talking 50-60 years ago, black&white TVs, 4 channels, dial phones, and an "Internet" was something you caught fish with), we'd often have TV dinners. Convenient, quick, and easy. There were two main brands, you could usually find equal number of each on the stores' freezer shelves: Swanson and Banquet.

Swanson was pretty good, at least to a 10-year-old who was more hungry than discriminating. Banquet was dreadful.

To this day I've never figured out how Banquet stayed in business. Actually found one on a freezer shelf a while back and tried it. No, it wasn't a 60-year-old leftover, it was recently made.

And it hadn't changed a bit. Edible only if starvation was the alternative.

I think Swanson got bought by someone. But I've found a few Swanson products, whose quality seemed OK. Nothing to write home about, but OK for frozen food.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:03 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Do people actually like "Banquet" frozen meals?

When I was a kid (we're talking 50-60 years ago, black&white TVs, 4 channels, dial phones, and an "Internet" was something you caught fish with), we'd often have TV dinners. Convenient, quick, and easy. There were two main brands, you could usually find equal number of each on the stores' freezer shelves: Swanson and Banquet.

Swanson was pretty good, at least to a 10-year-old who was more hungry than discriminating. Banquet was dreadful.

To this day I've never figured out how Banquet stayed in business. Actually found one on a freezer shelf a while back and tried it. No, it wasn't a 60-year-old leftover, it was recently made.

And it hadn't changed a bit. Edible only if starvation was the alternative.

I think Swanson got bought by someone. But I've found a few Swanson products, whose quality seemed OK. Nothing to write home about, but OK for frozen food.
i guess you get what you paid for..Im willing to pay a little more to eat something i can keep down.

I do recall, that I used to love the box of fried chicken Banquet sold back in my early 20's...(circa 1992)

Old 02-19-2021, 12:16 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Used to love Banquet pot pies back in the day. As with so many other things they just aren't what once were IMHO, and salt along with saturated fat content gives one pause.

https://www.calorieking.com/us/en/fo...RGuJ3eRvKy_I9w

If they are on sale it's good to have a few in deep freezer for a quick fast meal. But given health concerns listed above, wouldn't make it a daily habit.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:25 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I was a latchkey kid in the mid 70's and often my mom worked a lot of overtime to make ends meet. I had my share of Banquet, and equally as appalling were foods from a place called Murry's Steaks (Wash D.C./MD). They sold meats and prepared foods that grocery stores wouldn't sell. Ugh.

When I was about 14 I convinced my mom to let me try cooking. First dish was my attempt at a stir-fry with chicken. Although not authentic- it was better than the crap-in-a-box I ate several times a week. After a dozen or goes at it- my go to dish was pretty good. My mom even liked it. Very little mess.

I ate a lot of stir-fry over rice after that. Thank God.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:24 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,539 times
Yes I used to eat them a lot. Not anymore. Too much salt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink