Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 10:55 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I make my own as well - it is not quick, but it is outrageously good.
It takes me about 30 minutes or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But that's making a full sized pot pie, right? It's not really the type of thing that would work for one serving, and pot pies don't really reheat very well IMO.

Yes, full sized. To reheat I use the oven, not the microwave. I don't like reheating it in the micro.

I'm sure I could make smaller ones using a muffin tin, shouldn't be that hard. I've never tried it. If I did that, I'd for sure use the Pillsbury rolled pie crust, would trace a cupcake paper or save the banquet tins then use those.

I prefer home made to the frozen. I've frozen mine, then cooked them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 11:00 AM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I was a latchkey kid in the mid 70's and often my mom worked a lot of overtime to make ends meet. I had my share of Banquet, and equally as appalling were foods from a place called Murry's Steaks (Wash D.C./MD). They sold meats and prepared foods that grocery stores wouldn't sell. Ugh.

When I was about 14 I convinced my mom to let me try cooking. First dish was my attempt at a stir-fry with chicken. Although not authentic- it was better than the crap-in-a-box I ate several times a week. After a dozen or goes at it- my go to dish was pretty good. My mom even liked it. Very little mess.

I ate a lot of stir-fry over rice after that. Thank God.
I used to “cook” as a teen with the Kraft all in one spaghetti dinners in a box. It had the spaghetti, a tin can of meat sauce and a little packet of cheese. I remember them being delicious! Remember when meat sauce in a jar actually had meat in it? Now they say “meat flavored”.

I also “cooked” using the Chun King chicken chow Mein, with the sauce and meat in one can and the veggies in the attached bottom can. Along with a box of the little frozen egg rolls. Probably a week of sodium in one shot!

Old 02-19-2021, 11:00 AM

550 posts, read 498,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I remember when the pot pies were 3 for $1.00. Boy, I'm old.
I was trying to remember what I paid for the around 1978-1980. I had just moved into my own place and would buy them.

I want to say there were occasional sales 5/$1.00. I'd eat them every night for dinner!

3 chicken, 2 beef was my rotation.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It takes me about 30 minutes or so.

Yes, full sized. To reheat I use the oven, not the microwave. I don't like reheating it in the micro.

I'm sure I could make smaller ones using a muffin tin, shouldn't be that hard. I've never tried it. If I did that, I'd for sure use the Pillsbury rolled pie crust, would trace a cupcake paper or save the banquet tins then use those.

I prefer home made to the frozen. I've frozen mine, then cooked them.
I would eat the whole batch in one day. Pot pie is one of those things I find hard to resist.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
I was trying to remember what I paid for the around 1978-1980. I had just moved into my own place and would buy them.

I want to say there were occasional sales 5/$1.00. I'd eat them every night for dinner!

3 chicken, 2 beef was my rotation.
They’re still pretty cheap. 94 cents at Walmart but I’m pretty sure they’re even cheaper at Dollar General.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:20 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I remember those. I used to ask for them when mom was willing to buy me a treat.
That's what my mom did. When dad was gone on business, sometimes she'd buy me Swanson Salisbury steak and those shrimp cocktails. As a kid that Salisbury steak and shrimp cocktail might as well have been Delmonico's. I thought I had fine dining then.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:29 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I like Banquet Turkey Pot Pies. They're good.
I'm a fan of the chicken, but yeah...I think they're tasty.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:48 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Haven't eaten any of Banquets brands except for the pot pies since I was a teen. When my boys were playing youth baseball, I would often serve the chicken pot pies after a night game when they would come home and still have hours of homework left to do. They considered it a treat.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
When I was a teenager we subsisted on Banquet "Cookin' Bags". Basically salisbury steak & gravy in a plastic pouch that you would boil in water. No wonder all my after school jobs were in restaurants where I could get a decent meal.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:11 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
But that's making a full sized pot pie, right? It's not really the type of thing that would work for one serving, and pot pies don't really reheat very well IMO.
Chicken pot pie doesn't reheat very well?? Huh?? I don't know what kind you are reheating. We reheat mine every time I make it (I make a huge one) and it is damn good. If I make it at home and BF is not here to eat it - I will portion it into containers and heat it up for lunches. Insanely good!
Attached Thumbnails
Banquet And Michelina Frozen Dinners, Which Do You Like?-p1000740.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink