Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That particular area isn't half bad, that's the section with the West Indians. They are redoing the streets because of the outdated sewer system. When you get further east towards 31st ave it gets a lot worse. Although I'm not sure what the technical boundaries are of that neighborhood...it might be fine on a block by block basis but that whole area sends off weird vibes.
I have NEVER been over where you are talking about in Melrose. It looks sketchy though, I mean real sketchy.

As for the sewer system, the city of fort lauderdale seems to be doing this in a LOT of neighborhoods right now. I wonder why now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
compelled to reply, have you spent time in Melrose Park like Wild Style? How can one person say the area is not good, but another says the neighborhood is fine? Those are two extremes.
to be fair to compelled, that area is VERY big. I only know that one section I mentioned, I can not speak for the rest. That is why I specified where in Melrose I was speaking about. But the area I know is very very safe, working class people. They have those new apartment/townhome things on the corner of broward and 441. I really don't know what they were thinking about when they built that. Such a busy area, will be interesting to see how that all plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 07:00 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I have NEVER been over where you are talking about in Melrose. It looks sketchy though, I mean real sketchy.

As for the sewer system, the city of fort lauderdale seems to be doing this in a LOT of neighborhoods right now. I wonder why now?
I like how you never capitalize Fort Lauderdale. It's not worth being capitalized I guess .

No but Ft. Lauderdale took in a lot of areas that used to be unincorporated so the sewer systems are (pun completely intended, I had to) crappy. Melrose Park is one of those. The sewers are outdated in some of the other incorporated areas too. They are being proactive so they don't end up like West Palm Beach in that regard, which has city sewers and water systems that are literally of the same quality as a third world country.

About Melrose, well, the people I helped were wonderful and there are a lot of good people in that neighborhood. But the general vibe there is not good...it really humbles you to work with people in places like that.

Quote:
to be fair to compelled, that area is VERY big. I only know that one section I mentioned, I can not speak for the rest. That is why I specified where in Melrose I was speaking about. But the area I know is very very safe, working class people. They have those new apartment/townhome things on the corner of broward and 441. I really don't know what they were thinking about when they built that. Such a busy area, will be interesting to see how that all plays out.
Yeah I'm not even sure of the exact boundary, I think it's to around 31st Ave. I think the area by Broward and State Road 7 is fine but as a whole I don't think it's a good area, however it used to be worse (it used to be on the news a lot, not anymore).

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-30-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:26 PM

I spoke to my wife, she is a psychologist and she has patients in that area. She goes to homes and does family therapy. Anyway she said the only area in melrose that is a bit transient and a little sketch is along Davie road. She said the rest are people who pretty much own their own homes, are working class etc.

I had a friend who lived over there, he walked from Plantation to Melrose at around 1 at night and nothing happened to him. So I don't think its bad, just not up scale.

Last edited by Wild Style; 04-30-2008 at 07:54 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:34 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
I didn't say "bad", I said "weird"....there aren't that neighborhoods anywhere in this area that I feel that unsafe in at night so I'm not surprised that your friend made it through alive lol. Although the people I was helping had burglar bars and so did a lot of the other houses. It's not the kind of place I feel unsafe walking around in but I bet there is plenty of property crime. Also, there are some REALLY dilapidated apartment type buildings right off of Sr7 through all of Broadview that you have to get through before you get into the houses. I think that's where a lot of the illegal immigrants live. The rest of the area has a lot of leftover good ol' boys and native Blacks. There is also a gang in that area called "Broadview Mob".

Wait, Plantation to Melrose? Thats kind of a far walk lol. I was talking about Broadview up there. Did he walk all the way down to near MLK Blvd?

Well, let's put it like this. My idea of a decent working class area is North Lauderdale. Every kind of person lives there but the crime rate is not bad and there is pride in most of the neighborhoods. I think that whole area between Broward, 595, the turnpike and 95 is just weird.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-30-2008 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I didn't say "bad", I said "weird"....there aren't that neighborhoods anywhere in this area that I feel that unsafe in at night so I'm not surprised that your friend made it through alive lol. Although the people I was helping had burglar bars and so did a lot of the other houses. It's not the kind of place I feel unsafe walking around in but I bet there is plenty of property crime. Also, there are some REALLY dilapidated apartment type buildings right off of Sr7 through all of Broadview that you have to get through before you get into the houses. I think that's where a lot of the illegal immigrants live. The rest of the area has a lot of leftover good ol' boys and native Blacks. There is also a gang in that area called "Broadview Mob".

Wait, Plantation to Melrose? Thats kind of a far walk lol. I was talking about Broadview up there. Did he walk all the way down to near MLK Blvd?

Well, let's put it like this. My idea of a decent working class area is North Lauderdale. Every kind of person lives there but the crime rate is not bad and there is pride in most of the neighborhoods. I think that whole area between Broward, 595, the turnpike and 95 is just weird.
He walked from just west of broward mall all the way down broward blvd, then down 441 to that davie rd. side of melrose park. As for broadview, that place isn't weird, its BAD. I worked with a few guys from over there. This one guy had two child hood friends who were all out crack heads. I mean serious, they did crack. One of them was arrested for stealing groceries from Albertsons and selling it on the street for 50 bucks. The other guy stole cell phones out of cars for money :S. These guys weren't immigrants either. They were "good ole boys" as you said.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM

66 posts, read 375,664 times
merlrose park may be a little rough around the edges but i would have to say a lot less crime then maybe sunland park and much better then sistrunk park.. if you are worried about crime but still hoping to move into ft. lauderdale i would recommend either victoria park, or sailboat bend. of course there is still franklin park and washington park but i would rank them about the same as melrose.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:49 PM

sailboat bend has a LOT of sketchiness going on. I have a family friend over there and spend time there a lot. i would not walk through there at night alone. victoria park is VERY nice and quiet. Never heard of Franklin Park

Old 05-03-2008, 07:48 AM

*update*

I know where Franklin park is now. I go there to pray (there is a mosque there). DO NOT move over there. This guys suggestion privileges should be revoked. Both Sailboat Bend and Franklin Park have projects in them, Franklin has I think two projects and Sailboat Bend has one. Sailboat bend has a rehab house where ex drugies go and get "better". Who would want to live around that? Melrose park is good, working class, honest people. Just be careful on the davie road side. Victoria Park upper scale, nice. Melrose working middle class. Sailboat bend + Franklin Park = hell to the naw!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:34 AM

572 posts, read 1,870,603 times
Thanks for the info guys. I'm looking on google maps and there is a neighborhood just north of Melrose Park called Browardale (Broward Estates)? How is this neighborhood? Same as Melrose Park?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:09 AM

Broward Estates isn't bad. The guy I knew who lived in Broadview Park actually saved up and bought a NICE home in Broward Estates, not to far from the Golf Course back there. It was four bedrooms, had a cottage on the property and about 1 acre of land. This was back in like 2000 I think or some where around that. So he only paid 200,000 for all that house (shows you were prices need to go back to doesn't it). I wouldn't hesitate to move over there. I also went to a house party over in that area around 2000/2001. It was a little further east from where my buddy lived but still nice, and quiet.

Just to give more background on Franklin Park, I actually had a family friend who lived a two blocks south of the mosque I attend in Franklin Park. It was a duplex, and he never had any problems but I know the hustle drugs in those green apartments which a block north of the duplex he lived in. I also had a friend who moved down from NYC and met some girl who lived in Franklin Park. Well they set him up and beat him and robbed him. So stay away from that area! This area is just off of Sistrunk Blvd. which is one of Browards more notorious areas for crime. Unless you cross the train tracks and are just around Andrews avenue, then you will see tons of gentrification in the works.

This picture was taken about two blocks east from drug central off of Sistrunk. These are condos, and while walking through there I saw my first Lotus (The car) so the people in these condos are getting money! Reminded me of Brooklyn where you see rich and then two blocks away you see crime and poverty. I didn't take a picture of the poverty but I will soon cause in a decade or less those poor people wont be there.

I see you are trying to stay around the Melrose area so let me tell you what I know of the area. When I speak, I will only tell you what I have seen myself. I have family friends who may have moved from up north and settled in these areas so here goes.

On the north side of broward and west of 441 is Plantation. This is a lower income bracket than the side of plantation that is west of the turnpike (where I used to live). But again, working class people mostly west indian. I spent a lot of time in this section of Fort Lauderdale when I first came here, with family friends. That place is safe, have never heard of any kinds of problems what so ever around there. Across the street on broward where Broward Estates is, a little bit higher income bracket in some areas than that part of plantation i just mentioned. There is a golf course back there and from what I was told, you can go get wild mangos off the course during certain times of year *pretty cool, eh*. Now the side that is closer to peters road in Broward Estates, is a little sketchy cause thats when you are getting some feed back from Broadview Park.

Parkway which is on the north side of Broward from Melrose, I wouldn't live over there personally. They have a lot of decent working class people in there but also some drug action going on.

Another area you might want to look at is the area around the new river middle school. Not bad at all, this is the area that is on the south side of Davie road across from Melrose Park, its east of 441 and North of 595.

Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area