Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM

229 posts, read 879,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post

Seriously the OP should just go to a regular hotel. There are gay places were women are banned, I think a bicurious dog would be more easily accepted in one of those places. When they see a women in those places some of the gay men start having a fit and complain to the owners/management.
I totally agree !!

Yes there are gay places that don't allow women just as there are places geared towards lesbians who do not allow men. Heck there are even entire resorts such as Scandals I believe, that only allow couples ( hetrosexuals and/or homosexuals ) and if a single man or woman would enter, yeah the couples would complain about that too. Its also the same with some family resorts and fun centers that won't allow childless couples or singles without a child in tow. Those Jeepers Fun Centers fall into that group.

At least with Holiday Inn, Hilton..hell even Motel 6 all they really care about is giving you a room and thats about it. They really couldn't care less if one is gay, straight, bi or whatever as all they want is your money and without the drama, well unless of course one plans to smoke in their room chances are they would care about that but thats a totally different topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:36 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
I like a lot of what you said but I'd argue that while making a baby and public breast feeding can be choices, speaking with a lisp might not be a choice, as a previous poster noted about those who actually are the stereotypes.
Yes, I see where you are going here. Being able to make a choice, like breastfeeding, is different from being born with a lisp which automatically makes you different from a normal speaking person. I will assume you mean being born gay is different from choosing to breastfeed.

I will go off topic here. To breastfeed or not is a choice in the developed world because we have clean water, bottles and formula. Bottle feeding is so much part of our culture that nursing mothers have to defend their choice to breastfeed. What about in poorer countries where the citizens do not have access to these? To breastfeed is no longer about choice; it is about survival. This is why you can place a newborn on the mother's chest and it will instinctively go towards the breast and suckle (no drugs involved, of course).

As far as social behavior, I believe that this is influenced by genetics and the environment. You can be born gay but taught to act straight. You can be born straigh but be brought up so that you don't act so masculine. You can also be raised to believe that you have to go around and tell people how to behave.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:02 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
To breastfeed or not is a choice in the developed world because we have clean water, bottles and formula...What about in poorer countries...To breastfeed is no longer about choice; it is about survival.
Just to clarify that I already noted that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post
making a baby and public breast feeding can be choices
which I said not even thinking about poorer countries but even in developed ones where I'd imagine there's gonna be a time when you just can't get to a jar of Gerber.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
How about a shirt that says "Catcher" and the other guy wears a shirt thats says "Pitcher?"

Plenty of young straight guys and girls wear sexual innuendo shirts. I would add some examples here, but that might be a violation of TOS, lol

Shouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I mean when they go out of their way to act gay. It's like, I'm heterosexual, but I dont go out of my way to act like it. When they go out of their way and act out to gain attention, that's when I think it's annoying. I dont think hugging or holding hands is inappropriate, couldn't care less. But when they are so proud that they crave attention b/c of it, as if they are begging someone to notice, that is annoying.

Is that REALLY a common problem? Anyone who tries too hard to display ANY part of their "identity" for attention or to get a rise out of people is annoying. Be it sexuality, religion, race, ethnicity, culture, music.... anything!

Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM

415 posts, read 651,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Is that REALLY a common problem? Anyone who tries too hard to display ANY part of their "identity" for attention or to get a rise out of people is annoying. Be it sexuality, religion, race, ethnicity, culture, music.... anything!
While I totally agree with this I do somewhat understand ComSense's perspective. My fiance has a lot of gay friends that used to work with her in retail. At first I admit my perspective was somewhat discriminatory. But the more I really discussed the issue the more I realized how wrong my perspective was. Now I completely respect their rights to do what they want to do, even if I don't agree with it. After all as another poster wrote I don't agree with mullets either but I don't object to it.

But the problem that we keep running into is the need to be overtly sexual. And to be fair I think these actions are wrong gay or straight.

When we all go hang out the gay men that I know (this is ONLY my experience) are more comfortable addressing sexuality in an open setting. For example one time we were out and a gay friend of ours made a comment about how hot a 17 year old boy was (he's 40). Now he didn't actually talk to the boy or anything he just made the comment. And I no doubt have seen some 17 year old girls with a nice body. But I somehow feel if I were to make a comment about a 16 year old girl that would really be shunned upon. But no one batted an eye. It wasn't until later when we were having a conversation about how old he is that it hit me.

Also while hanging out they have done things like slap my fiance butt. Now to be fair her girlfriends have slapped her but as well. And I guess I understand their need to be "one of the girls". But they also make comments about how cute I am too. And I know they mean well as they are dear friends of ours. But it makes it really hard to draw the line. I mean if your one of the girls then fine, but then why are you making comments about me, the other girls don't make those comments. But again most would think its inappropriate for me say I think my fiance's friend has a hot butt.

Maybe I'm just jealous and want the opportunity to walk around and smack every girls butt.

But even in this thread the OP said that most of the gay hotels are clothing optional. Now I don't find anything wrong with that and have no problem with someone going to a clothing option hotel be it gay or straight. But if MOST of the straight hotels were clothing option I would think there is something wrong with that.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Good grief people, there are gay only hotels and resorts because believe it or not, even in "gay friendly" destinations, if two guys or two girls were to walk the grounds of the Holiday Inn Ft. Lauderdale (or whatever), holding hands, kissing by the pool, etc.... some heterosexuals have a problem with that, especially if they have children with them, and will make that same sex couple feel uncomfortable.

It's also why there are "gay bars" and "straight bars" in this world. Or all gay cruises. So people can feel comfortable.

Of course, the laws of the country mean that if something is a "men's only" or "women's only" resort, a "membership fee" must be included in the price, to turn it from public accomodation to private club.
Although I was ready to quote ComSense, since I agree that I also couldn't understand why the OP would need a "gay friendly" hotel, your post points out something obvious that most of us heterosexuals can't see. If a man and a woman hold hands and kiss a little by the pool, most people don't care. So why should 2 people in love have to hide their emotions because someone might be offended? Honestly, I don't like it when anyone, straight or gay, carries on in public. However, being affectionate with one's partner is something we all accept when the couple is a man & woman, but many of us squirm when we see 2 men doing the same thing.

Last edited by justNancy; 02-14-2010 at 11:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2010, 08:15 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,475,304 times
Who gives a damn if they "act gay"? Why does anyone care? Let them kiss, hold hands, act flamboyant, etc. Let them get married. Let them wear shirts that say "I'm gay and I'm proud". Why do people really care? How does it affect you personally? Leave people alone and let them be happy. I am a white heterosexual male, and apparently the only one who is ok with gays existing. I have never had this problem that Common Sense has of being overrun by gays. This perception says more about Common Sense's insecurities than it does about gay people's behavior. Common Sense: If they really bother you, next time you go to a bar try focusing on the women around you instead of the gays and how they are interacting.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
I never said it was a problem, and I dont mind the affection. Didnt I say that already in another post? I said I dont like how they act so "in your face" and flaming about it. I think there's a difference. When they go way out of their way to show others that they are gay, almost as if to show it off or dare someone to say something so the claws can come out, is very annoying.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
I never said it was a problem, and I dont mind the affection. Didnt I say that already in another post? I said I dont like how they act so "in your face" and flaming about it. I think there's a difference. When they go way out of their way to show others that they are gay, almost as if to show it off or dare someone to say something so the claws can come out, is very annoying.
So the claws can come out, huh? And you don't think others see you as being catty in your opinion & behavior in expressing it?

By your perception I guess in your mind it "reasonably" follows that you assume that they don't "act gay" when they are only among gays? They only "act gay" when they are around the likes of you.

Because when they are not around str8 people, just who do you suppose they are, in your words, daring or showing off for? Your logic is flawed and your perception is paranoid. Please study your own self to determine why you get so annoyed instead of blaming others for your feelings.

The more you take responsibility for your self, the less you will judge others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area