Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkYellowRain View Post
Also, what are hipsters?
Click on the "hipster contemporary subculture" link near the top of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster...ary_subculture)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
I love Fort Worth and Dallas, but after living in Fort Worth and enjoying all the great things that are in this city, it sort off gets boring because Fort Worth lacks huge developments which usually get people excited I love Downtown Ft Worth but when I go to Dallas, my reaction is wow... I wish Fort Worth looked more bigger, but cities that are more liberal tend to be bigger when it comes to business but they also have a bigger number of crazy people who want legalize everything and go crazy (like Austin) so I basically love Fort Worth but envy a lot of things from Big D... *sigh, I hope Fort Worth starts big developments that would make the city more awesome-er than it is now! and when Fort Worth grows I hope it stays conservative, if we stay conservative and have huge developments than Fort Worth would be the best city on Earth
Fort Worth really isn't THAT conservative, ya know. And if you ask me, that shouldn't be a factor.

And one thing you have to keep in mind about the developments... Dallas is still bigger. MUCH bigger. So of course you'll see more projects popping up over there. If you think that's much, just look at Houston.

As Fort Worth grows, so will the development. It may take more time that other cities, but it will happen.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 AM

13 posts, read 46,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Fort Worth really isn't THAT conservative, ya know. And if you ask me, that shouldn't be a factor.
As someone who has lived in LA and Vegas, yes, it is

Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM

13 posts, read 46,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Click on the "hipster contemporary subculture" link near the top of the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster...ary_subculture)
I did. Doesn't make sense. Could anyone give examples? Is Justin Bieber a hipster? Or John Mayer (isn't he old though)?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The good thing about working near Presby is that you could take the TRE and connect to the DART rail. It might be slightly slower than driving, but the trains have wifi and many people sleep, listen to music, etc. on the train.

I will echo what everyone else has said about Fort Worth vs. Dallas. I grew up on the east side of Dallas, and lived there as an adult for several years, but I am SO much happier in Fort Worth! It's not nearly as pretentious, people are friendlier, there are more fun things to do, etc.

And personally, I have no need for a Whole Foods since I have Central Market. YMMV...

This has been a really interesting thread. Several of you have made me a bit more thankful for the virtues of Fort Worth. I've been here four years and have gone to Dallas maybe five times. It's OK, but not my kind of city. Fort Worth really does have a different spirit that jibes w/ mine much better.

To the OP: I think FW is really a great way to stay close to ailing family members and yet have some distance too, and a way to get out of a city whose values/tendencies tend to annoy you. FW, IMO, seems to be getting better all the time--for a lot of the reasons that Truedat highlighted upthread.

Now if we could only haul in a mountain, some clean natural lakes, a forest or SOME form of outdoor recreation I would be pretty darn content. Nowhere is perfect, I'm fully aware of that. All in all, FW really is a pretty good place to live.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:42 PM

32 posts, read 43,132 times
One thing I definitely love about Ft. Worth is that it's still growing, and not only that, but it's growing in the right direction. Trust me, coming from a place where people despise growth, it's exciting to be a part of a city that's growing and progressing so well.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
As someone who has lived in LA and Vegas, yes, it is
In Texas, being politically conservative doesn't necessarily mean you're a bigot. It doesn't even mean you're a Bible-thumper...I have known far right-wing atheists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
To the OP: I think FW is really a great way to stay close to ailing family members and yet have some distance too, and a way to get out of a city whose values/tendencies tend to annoy you. FW, IMO, seems to be getting better all the time--for a lot of the reasons that Truedat highlighted upthread.
It does sound nice. *dreaming*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man 2099 View Post
One thing I definitely love about Ft. Worth is that it's still growing, and not only that, but it's growing in the right direction. Trust me, coming from a place where people despise growth, it's exciting to be a part of a city that's growing and progressing so well.
So it's not growing like Dallas? Here it seems like the ground either barfs up ugly new buildings in weird places, or they sprout up like a cancerous tumor.

Old 09-11-2013, 04:23 PM

32 posts, read 43,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

So it's not growing like Dallas? Here it seems like the ground either barfs up ugly new buildings in weird places, or they sprout up like a cancerous tumor.
Huh?!? I said Ft. Worth is dong a great job of growing, which is a positive thing.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:15 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
I really like Ft.Worth for what it is...I can understand someone wanting a different scene from where they were born and raised...But OP since you were born and raised in Dallas... it is odd that you view it like a newcomer...Glitz and glam is something you hardly notice if you grew up here. Dallas is way bigger with more choices of everything. Sounds like you know nothing about your hometown and instead of getting to know it better you just spew out stereotypical quotes that most biased tourist say....Ft worth Has a great Downtown....Unfortunately,thats it......And even Downtown Ft.Worth warrants only one visit a year....If I was you I would just stay put and just VISIT Ft.Worth when I want a different change of scenery....trust me the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence...it's an illusion.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:34 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
Quote:
I did. Doesn't make sense. Could anyone give examples? Is Justin Bieber a hipster? Or John Mayer (isn't he old though)?
Neither of them are hipsters. Unless someone wants to make the case that Justin Bieber has just been being ironic this whole time and didn't really mean it. Maybe this definition from Urban Dictionary will make more sense to you:

Urban Dictionary: hipster

This is a web site for hipster music. No Bieber or Mayer allowed:

Pitchfork

Or you could watch an episode of Portlandia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portlandia_(TV_series)

Back on topic in terms of the city vs. city comparison, Dallas and Fort Worth recently rated as two of the least hipster cities in the country. As you can imagine, Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco rank higher.

http://whateverblog.dallasnews.com/2...r-cities.html/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth