Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,770 times

Advertisements

My daffodils are blooming! The Forsythia bushes are blooming as well, and the pansies are really starting to take off (they suffered through the unusally cold winter).

Many trees are in bloom and others have buds.

NW NC

Spring is beautiful here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Here in SE Pa we've got a taste of Spring, the temperature was about 50 degrees although it will go back down again as a cold front comes through. The snow drops are blooming and a few yellow crocus are getting ready. The daffodils are up to about 6 inches but no signs of budding or green on the trees. Its usually late April until the mountains start looking green.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,122 times
I swear, I can almost feel the last shred of freakin sanity I had left snapping today. It's March 2nd and we had subzero windchills this morning......forecasting more snow in the 5 day forecast......

Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Quick!! Is there a home and garden show or nursery you can go to??? Somewhere where you can experience artificial spring for a few hours before going back out into the snow??

We're kinda stalled right now in Cinci. The snow melted about 2 weeks ago, and we've had some 40's and a couple of 50's since then -- so bulbs are sprouting. But its been cloudy/rainy - and while the rain is helpful, the lack of sunshine is slowing things down a bit.

And we're to get some light snow showers Sunday morning, so Winter is definitely not gone completely.

But - I went to the Home and Garden show this past weekend --- magnolias in bloom, forsythia, azaleas, rhododendrons, hyacinths, daffodils... Oh.. I felt so much better!!

So hang on.. its coming... Puxatawney wouldn't steer us wrong!!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:41 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,869,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by light_shimmer View Post
I swear, I can almost feel the last shred of freakin sanity I had left snapping today. It's March 2nd and we had subzero windchills this morning......forecasting more snow in the 5 day forecast......
I couldn't resist! Left the gardens in light_shimmers capable hands along with the bitter cold. Yes, Northerners head west to Alaska! The much more moderate winters here on the Alaska coastline has had me in a perpetual state of spring fever. The deck is covered with pots of perennial seeds that I winter sowed, I carry a bag of seeds in my purse to keep me sane and take me to my happy place when I need an emergency fix and "spring" is at least two months away. Under the kitchen sink I have bags of daffodil bulb chips creating little baby daffodils, some bulbs of daffodils and tulips in the fridge and all kinds of growing experiments here and there about the apartment. I have a comprehensive plan for raised bed gardens, hoophouse ect to get to right away this spring on our property. I have been scouting out rocks for edging and seaweed gathering for the compost pile. Nah...I don't have a bit of spring fever.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:16 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,122 times
I SEE GRASS! Brown, soggy and sad looking, but it's grass nonetheless

Old 03-14-2011, 03:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
I have Spring fever badly, too! I found out in another thread that my "wood hyacinth" are starting to peek out. LOL I wondered what those flowers were. Anyway nothing's budding fast enough! I can't wait.

I walked around yesterday telling the plants how much I missed them! I tried something new this year: forcing forsythia and ornamental cherry indoors. I just cut off some of the branches and put them in water...In a couple of days they bloomed!

I tried the same thing with my willow, and the catkins "bloomed" and it grew roots! So I transplanted some willow this morning. Actually I already started planting here in zone 7A!

I guess I'm either crazy, optimistic or impatient!

I transplanted a bunch of daylilies, some little mugho pines and I planted spinach and kohlrabi in my garden. I am determined to get food this year! Supposedly those veggies like the cold...We'll see. Happy Spring!!!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:14 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
I've got my first blooming flower!! I thought it was going to be the crocus, but the little purple minature iris beat them to the punch.

I cleared away all the debris around the day lillies and the regular iris, as well as clearing the mulch away from the peonies. Yay!! All the peonies have "eyes" ready to go!! I transplanted some of them late last year (during the drought) - so I was nervous.

My butterflies magnolia has some nice flower buds coming... as does the Jane Magnolia. The redbud hasn't opened yet - but I would think by April 1 it will be in bloom.

We're going up to 67 this Thursday!!!!

Still too soggy to do much outside, but if it dries out by this weekend (its raining right now) - I'll be back outside hacking at the honeysuckle!!

My husband and I went through the yard this past week looking at all the trees/shrubs to make sure they were all coming along. Everyone looks happy - except for the Alexander Magnolia that the deer ate to nothing last Fall. *sigh*

Deer are so pretty... and evil.

Happy Spring everyone!! Its here ... Its here!!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
We have a little daffodil blooming, its not a true daffodil I guess but one of the little miniature ones that blooms in bunches from one plant. The crocus are in full swing, purple, yellow and white. I see regular daffodils getting ready to bud, hopefully they'll bloom in a week, maybe less. The hyacinth have fully formed heads but I can't say when they'll bloom. maybe a week. It was cold this morning in SE PA, in the low 20s, but will get warmer the rest of the week. The rhubarb finally broke ground, so can strawberry season be too far away? :d

Old 03-15-2011, 08:45 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Our crocus and daffodil blooms appeared Wednesday of last week. So excited to see them! I have lillies coming up, greens only, no blooms yet. Last week our pear trees started to bud, too.
We had our first baby goat born this week, and our chicken eggs are due to start hatching this weekend.
Definitely seems like spring is here...even though we got a dusting of snow yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden