Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 10:45 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,274 times

Advertisements

Marigold & Lamb Ear, they spread everywhere ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 12:28 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
Marigold & Lamb Ear, they spread everywhere ...
I happen to adore both Marigold and Lamb's Ear. They can spread wherever they like in my yard.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
Bee balm ugh

Someone previous to me planted lily of the valley which has taken over all around our house. i love it, evergreen, makes flowers and I never have to mow it. I like the manner in which it spreads- like an encroaching army rather than sporadic colonists popping up 20' away from the clump. It has done me a tremendous favor.
Just goes to show you that one person's hated plant can be another person's happy plant. My neighbor's violets have also encroached on everything in his yard, but rather quickly. I offered to dig them out for him (so I don't get any volunteers in my yard!) but he declined. Rats.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:15 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,128 times
Bachelor freakin' Buttons.

Even a flamethrower can't stop them from spreading EVERYWHERE.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:49 PM

Rugrats, I had no idea about Bachelor's Buttons. But you made me recall how Columbine was EVERYWHERE when we cleaned up my mother's yard after she passed away. I think Columbine is referred to as "promiscuous". Indeed!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:52 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Hybrid Poplars which promised and delivered fast growth -- up to 8 ft. a year. The plan was to have these for quick shade and windbreak while the more desirable trees developed, both evergreens and hardwoods. The particular variety was Androscoggin which advertised an estimated life of at least 50 years. It was used to reclaim the lands where strip coal mining took place over in WVa. The good news is that the growth was amazingly fast; the bad news is that all fell over within 25 years. I planted 150-200 as I recall. A number of them fell onto the neighbor's property.

Currently, one remains; it started coming up from the root of one which dropped in 2002 or 3. If this one falls a certain way, it'll take out a power line. Too old now to cut it down personally so I'll get a tree guy.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:28 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
There is a difference between plants which reseed themselves and those which spread from the roots. Plants that reseed are not invasive. They can easily be taken out in the spring. The plants that spread from underground are really hard to get control of.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:47 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is a difference between plants which reseed themselves and those which spread from the roots. Plants that reseed are not invasive. They can easily be taken out in the spring. The plants that spread from underground are really hard to get control of.
I hear you but once it's down, I won't be around long enough to worry about an encore even at 8 ft. a year.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:42 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,628,787 times
I have lived in my house around 30-35 years and been a yard addict most of those years. Notice I did not say gardener as that would denote someone with some common sense, I think.

I have had in my yard every plant, tree, bush, bulb, etc that Lowe's, Home Depot, WalMart, Kmart and various other plant nurseries could provide. Except for an Indian hawthorne and a plumbago that came planted in the yard originally, I have ripped up, discarded, sometimes moved but not often and regretted many purchases. I have planted passion vines (may do it again....idiot), trumpet vines, moon vines, confederate jasmine, morning glories, grape vines and all have had to come out. Down in FL, you can watch it grow with a little water and fertilizer......

I am currently in my last incarnation, I hope. I have saved about 20 camellias, a gardenia, the indian hawthorne and 5 crape myrtles, my citrus trees, a mango, replanting 2 grape vines that have to be pulled out due to trying to cover the yard, a couple of climbing own root roses and I have to figure out the rest. I am building some raised beds for veggies.

I did go the wildflower packets for a few years and holy cow ! the black eyed susans. 10 years later they still are coming up in sneaky places. Also, wild salvia. Someone said the butterflies loved it but I must have the wrong brand or something.....it's everywhere........

The one thing I loved about the wild flowers was never knowing what I would see come up every day. Of course, it was not things we normally get here in Central Fl, so, it was like Christmas everyday.

Nasturtiums were rampant and grew out into the roadway, up the crape myrtles, etc.....
beautiful but, they TOOK over.

I am over 70, it's time.......

eta: forgot to add those d___ four o'clocks, which someone else mentioned. I love them and hate them.

Last edited by AnnieA; 10-11-2015 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 06:01 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Lemon balm and four o'clocks.

But really, I embrace almost everything that will make it through the summer here with minimal water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden