Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 05:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times

Advertisements

My tulips opened today. They are not in the best shape and I just kind of planted them here and there quite a few years ago.but I have a lot of rabbits around here so they may not last to long. I usually only get to see them for a few days until the stupid rabbits bite off the flowers. The don't eat them, just bite off flowers and leave them beside the plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 06:20 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My tulips opened today. They are not in the best shape and I just kind of planted them here and there quite a few years ago.but I have a lot of rabbits around here so they may not last to long. I usually only get to see them for a few days until the stupid rabbits bite off the flowers. The don't eat them, just bite off flowers and leave them beside the plant.

Darn. If they are going to ruin them they could at least eat the flowers.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,193,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Darn. If they are going to ruin them they could at least eat the flowers.
I just came in from cutting some and putting them in a vase. I can now at least enjoy them for a few days. Wonder if the ones I left will be there in the morning. They must not like the taste but they look good.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:07 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I must admit, I'm scratchin' my head over your "Dogwood" photo....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Flowering pear maybe?
Yep.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:12 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,760,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Took a few more today from this area..

Nice idea whoever planted these years ago. Looks awesome driving down this road. Not sure what they are. Old camera ruined the color. Had more a pinkish tint to them.
Wow, those trees in the first pic are stunning! Looks like some kind of ornamental cherry, maybe? Beautiful.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:21 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
My dwarf Zuni crepe myrtle tree I bought in December and planted in a big pot on my balcony is blooming! I'm so excited. It's so pretty. The aphids were loving on my little Zuni, so I used some of that Bayer Advanced systemic food/insecticide and that stuff really works - yay!

Tomato plants are just starting to bud on the balcony, and got my first nasturtium flower today in a hanging basket. Grew them from seeds this year under a grow light on a dresser in the bedroom lol. Urban gardening :-)

The bougainvillea has been a constant bloomer even over the winter since I started using Bougain to feed it. Great stuff.

I am organic with the edibles I grow, but I'll take all the help I can get with everything else. Tried getting rid of the aphids with the organic stuff and the only thing that stuff was killing was my pocket book lol.

Having great luck with Mosquito Bits, though, for fungus gnats in my veggie organic soil. It's just BT, so is natural and safe. Just a natural bacteria or such thing, that attacks larvae in the soil.

Anyway, I love spring. Got some basil and coleus growing, too, from seed. I love spring. I love gardening.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:44 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
This last year has sure been the "Year of the Rabbit" here in Southern Minn. After nearly two full plantings of annuals and every "safe" preventative in the book I finally gave up and let the little fuzzies have the yard. They are back in full force this year. It didn't help that our little mouser, Emily, fell ill last summer and took her last nap. I hadn't realized how well her alert presence on the deck had kept the bunnies away.

I have some perennials and annuals sitting on the deck waiting for me. Then I noticed a surprise. About thirty years ago I planted about twenty tulip bulbs around a short edge of the deck. Over the years they have all failed but one as different things have been planted and weather conditions have influenced them. But this year that one last hanger-on has fifteen buds on it! I can't wait for them to open and will get a picture. Now I'm wondering if our rabbits will snip the blooms off! We'll find out.

Along with that a lone grape hyacinth and a single crocus made their appearance. I'd forgotten about them but there they still are. So nice that I made a note on the calendar to fill them in again this Fall.

I don't know about my giant allium. They were just setting buds when we got those two gigantic last minute snowstorms.

My poor clematis winter killed after struggling for about eight years after it was moved. It's shocking, I tell you, how much a trip to the greenhouse costs these days. But it won't stop me from having my flowers.

Aren't Cambium's trees awesome? Must smell divine there.

My very pretty and full-grown Japanese chokecherry has developed black knot and DH is threatening to cut it down after fighting it for a few years. I've made a case to at least let it bloom again this year. It's a wonderful and mystical fragrance for a couple of short days. I can sympathize with him. I'll buy 'em and tend 'em but he's the guy who has to go up on the ladder and fuss with them. LOL.

I tell him, like they say on "Sesame Street," "That's Co-op-er-a-tion!"

Old 05-10-2018, 10:13 PM

16,095 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Northern NM high desert: lilacs and mountain mahogany already finished blooming. Locust trees are blooming...red and white. Red Tip Photinia, Spanish Broom, and Pyracantha are blooming and buds are forming on Desert Willow and Mexican Bird of Paradise. Primrose, Apache Plume and Irises are blooming. We are having a huge bloom of wild Heliotrope...acres of it...along with some unknown varieties of white wildflowers. Yucca is starting to bloom. Wild Heliotrope is also known as Scorpion weed.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:18 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,315,264 times
Tomato plants.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 AM

297 posts, read 167,008 times
Cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and the weed of vegetables, zucchini. All my years planting zucchini, I've had amazing yields. And giant giant leaves.
Sadly lettuces are flowering too... which means salad season is almost done.
Still waiting on eggplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden