Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 05:46 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

4.92 inches of rain within 24hrs fell. No big flooding around here but that brings the monthly total to 10.46"!

Ground is so saturated and moss is growing everywhere. We had sun 1 day out of last 8 days!

Past 7 days had the Coldest Max Temp Average in decades

1 by 1 they are showing up. haha.

Goodbye grass seeds

5 days in a row in September is not common here!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 11:01 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Wow that's a pile of rain. Hopefully your grass seed germinated prior to the deluge. In the past 2 weeks we received about 1.75" of rain which for us- is a lot. Welcomed though.. Supposed to rain a bit this weekend and into next week but nothing like the east is getting.

Old 09-30-2023, 01:52 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
4.92 inches of rain within 24hrs fell. No big flooding around here but that brings the monthly total to 10.46"!

Ground is so saturated and moss is growing everywhere. We had sun 1 day out of last 8 days!

Past 7 days had the Coldest Max Temp Average in decades

1 by 1 they are showing up. haha.

Goodbye grass seeds

5 days in a row in September is not common here!
Meanwhile I sowed some grass seeds at the old house where my vegetable garden used to be ten days ago, and I'm worried they'll die from drought. I watered them heavily when I spread the seeds but I haven't been able to go back since, and there hasn't been any rain whatsoever. Looks like the rain will come back once the heat ends though - and unlike up here, down in Oakville it should be frost free for a couple more weeks at least.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Wow that's a pile of rain. Hopefully your grass seed germinated prior to the deluge. In the past 2 weeks we received about 1.75" of rain which for us- is a lot. Welcomed though.. Supposed to rain a bit this weekend and into next week but nothing like the east is getting.
Nothing germinated. All washed away. I have a little slope. I should of put the seed blanket down. Time to re-do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Meanwhile I sowed some grass seeds at the old house where my vegetable garden used to be ten days ago, and I'm worried they'll die from drought. I watered them heavily when I spread the seeds but I haven't been able to go back since, and there hasn't been any rain whatsoever. Looks like the rain will come back once the heat ends though - and unlike up here, down in Oakville it should be frost free for a couple more weeks at least.
Personally, I'd rather have a drought if I can't have the perfect balance. Easier to give everything a drink then to prevent them from drinking. Ha.

With El Nino coming you may not get into the precip pattern through winter. Hope you do. Everyone needs some rain! Looks like frost or freeze coming next weekend

===============

Waiting patiently for that sun to appear, not yet this morning.

Only 14.7 hrs of sun in the past 9 days!
(Less than 2 hours a day avg)

Sunniest day was on the 14th

Old 10-01-2023, 06:29 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nothing germinated. All washed away. I have a little slope. I should of put the seed blanket down. Time to re-do.

Personally, I'd rather have a drought if I can't have the perfect balance. Easier to give everything a drink then to prevent them from drinking. Ha.

With El Nino coming you may not get into the precip pattern through winter. Hope you do. Everyone needs some rain! Looks like frost or freeze coming next weekend

===============

Waiting patiently for that sun to appear, not yet this morning.

Only 14.7 hrs of sun in the past 9 days!
(Less than 2 hours a day avg)

Sunniest day was on the 14th
The old house is a 1.5 hour drive away though so I can't go down there to water all the time. Otherwise I'd agree.

Seems like there's a couple model scenarios the forecasts are flipping back and forth with. Weekend and start of next week is now forecast to be a bit milder and frost free. Last night the forecast flipped to well above average for Oct 11-14 but this morning it flipped down to average and frost free.

Previously both the start and end of the 2nd week of Oct were forecast to be below average with frost.

That's for here in Wellington County. Down at the old house in Oakville it should be cool but comfortably frost free for the 2nd week. I still have additional squash there and a couple other little things but mostly squash.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Seems like there's a couple model scenarios the forecasts are flipping back and forth with.
Saw that, latest updates got warmer. This time of year models tend to overdo the cold shots, GFS especially but I think it will be the coldest of the season.

Just picked these... Guess harvest wasn't done. lol . Only 2 Pepper plants left now.

Old 10-29-2023, 06:43 AM

Surprise...

October 29, 2023 pepper harvest.

Didn't think the 3 plants I kept going would ripen or produce. Took 4 weeks though.

No frost or freezes yet + extra warmth this past week helped

Now officially done. After picking these I pulled up the plants.

After our mini October heatwave soil temps shot up to 60s again. Similar to beginning of October and early June.

And my first Freeze coming in 2 days. Time for winter.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:27 AM

Past 3 mornings
30°F, 26°, 30°

So.... Dahlias are done..

It's a process now to Dig, Clean, and Store.

The ones in the pots had the most tubers and roots

I split some using a hacksaw right down the middle. 1st time trying.
6 Sun Ladys
7 Procyons
6 Mystery Days

So last year a lot of the tubers shriveled up. I only had vermiculite on them. This year I'm doing a Peat Moss, Vermiculite mix AND spraying inside the bag with some water. Will check them in January. I also left a little dirt on them hopefully that creates some humidity for them but not too much to rot them.

All worth it come bloom time I guess.

and the Fig tree is done too, never had figs ripen. Late start

Old 11-04-2023, 10:14 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
You're stuff is still green. Mine is dead. Dead, dead, dead.... Good luck with the roots and tubers.!

Old 12-10-2023, 10:01 AM

Gardening in December. 55F with heavy rain on the way.

Preparing to build another raised bed. Dug down 6 inches adding some logs, leaves and cardboard.

I may dig deeper although not necessary since the bed will be like 2 feet deep. I'll post the finished product when I get around to it.

Soil temps at 4 inches is hovering around 40° but its all very workable still.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden