Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2023, 09:31 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,097,533 times

Advertisements

I've heard some people feed their squirrels sunflower seeds intentionally so that they avoid touching their more precious stuff. If you can resist hiding in the bushes with a spray hose...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 03:19 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Thunderstorm dropped beneficial rains on the garden. 1/4" rain fell. 67°F at 5pm on July 25th. Awesome. Heat wave coming after today though.

A few pepper plant varieties. A look at both the plant itself and the pepper

Here are the ones I harvested today and we'll look at

Red Marconi. Interesting how the one on the left is shortest and the one on the right is tallest.

Sh-ish-ito Sweet.

Dr Martin Carrot Red

Serrano Purple

Banana

Naga Jaloki

I'll have some more once they ripen

Old 07-25-2023, 04:51 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Cambium, is it wrong that I laughed out loud at your squirrel-stealing-a-tomato video?

Old 07-27-2023, 07:14 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I harvested about 6 bell peppers and yesterday the plant had about 5 more. This morning the tops are eaten off the entire plant and the fruits are all damaged. IF it wasn't in an enclose yard I would swear a deer got it. Some seem to be sun scalded, but I think it is blossom end rot, so out with the plant now!!. So bummed. I am concerned about my tomatoes now as they are plentiful BUT, not redding up to any great degree. I am wondering if it is a calcium deficiency.

Old 07-27-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I harvested about 6 bell peppers and yesterday the plant had about 5 more. This morning the tops are eaten off the entire plant and the fruits are all damaged. IF it wasn't in an enclose yard I would swear a deer got it. Some seem to be sun scalded, but I think it is blossom end rot, so out with the plant now!!. So bummed. I am concerned about my tomatoes now as they are plentiful BUT, not redding up to any great degree. I am wondering if it is a calcium deficiency.
Blossom end rot is more often caused by inconsistent watering than by a true calcium deficiency. Did you have any dry stretches when your peppers were setting fruit? It's not reason to pull the plant in any case, just because one set of fruits had blossom end rot, doesn't mean future fruits will, you just need to make sure you water them during dry stretches going forward. Last year I had blossom end rot on one cluster of tomatoes (~6oz Mountain Merit variety), but then had 5 lbs of perfectly nice fruits on the later clusters.

What pepper variety are you growing that you have 11 bell peppers on one plant? Most bell peppers have much lower yields than that, unless they're overwintered plants on their 2nd year.

Old 07-28-2023, 12:59 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Quote:
At work, I heard another person from our area making the exact same complaint about tomatoes not turning red. I had the same problem and we discussed wildfire smoke/smog, more rain and less sun, and temperatures all over the map.
Then we had a flood in my town and when the waters receded, all my still-green tomatoes sprouted fuzzy white mold and that was that.

Not a good gardening year.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
At work, I heard another person from our area making the exact same complaint about tomatoes not turning red. I had the same problem and we discussed wildfire smoke/smog, more rain and less sun, and temperatures all over the map.
Then we had a flood in my town and when the waters receded, all my still-green tomatoes sprouted fuzzy white mold and that was that.

Not a good gardening year.
I have a lot of varieties of peppers that are turning red now. Shepherd, Roulette (habanada), Shishi-to, Pepperoncini, Orange You Sweet (a pimiento type), Cherry, Targu Mures (hot chinense type), Holy Italian, Chocolate Cake, Criola de Cocina, Stuffing Scotch Bonnet are all starting to blush, if not already fully red (or orange or brown, if that's how the variety ripens).

I've also gotten ripe fruits from both my cherry tomato varieties. Big tomatoes not yet, but that's typical - they normally ripen in early-mid August.

This is in Zone 5 outside of Toronto, so it's been quite a bit cooler than in the NYC area, and about equally smokey (I think).

Old 07-28-2023, 06:03 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Blossom end rot is more often caused by inconsistent watering than by a true calcium deficiency. .
I agree with this. When I changed my watering habits the BER issue stopped. Haven't had BER in years. Also been adding compost to garden in Fall and feeding in spring so its been getting good nutrients.

BER is because the plant isn't absorbing nutrients, especially Calcium.

Watch this video, maybe try his technique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1THV8w1E5w&t=688s

Old 07-28-2023, 07:06 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Memph & Cam, I have physically watered daily at the same time so that is not it. It was (already pulled) in a very sunny location sun from noonish - 4 so it does have a tendency to get dry and need watering. The only thing I can think of is that we have had some downpours and mean downpours and possibly I am misjudging when to skip the watering for a day due to the heavy rain.
It is the only spot I can grow veggies so there is that sun factor that I always struggle with.

Re: Last year I got maybe 5 small peppers. Bonnie Bell pepper. No idea what so many this year, but the ones I got were nice size this year except for the ones I pulled before trashing the plant yesterday. I know it was drastic but there were no more flowers and I thought compared to last year this was a bonanza.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:53 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thunderstorm dropped beneficial rains on the garden. 1/4" rain fell. 67°F at 5pm on July 25th. Awesome. Heat wave coming after today though.

A few pepper plant varieties. A look at both the plant itself and the pepper

Here are the ones I harvested today and we'll look at

Red Marconi. Interesting how the one on the left is shortest and the one on the right is tallest.

Sh-ish-ito Sweet.

Dr Martin Carrot Red

Serrano Purple

Banana

Naga Jaloki

I'll have some more once they ripen
I like banana, bell and jalapeños because the flesh is crunchy and skin is tender. Better for stir fry and fresh salsa and salads. Are any of these varieties like that?

My garden is pepper heaven. Always get great yields froze a lot of them whole last year and that worked well. but looking for new varieties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden