Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2023, 10:50 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Memph & Cam, I have physically watered daily at the same time so that is not it. It was (already pulled) in a very sunny location sun from noonish - 4 so it does have a tendency to get dry and need watering. The only thing I can think of is that we have had some downpours and mean downpours and possibly I am misjudging when to skip the watering for a day due to the heavy rain.
It is the only spot I can grow veggies so there is that sun factor that I always struggle with.
Try getting some Lobster compost (expensive) and mixing it into the soil. It might not work rapidly but may help for future. It contains Calcium, or try the Egg solution shown by Gary on Youtube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I like banana, bell and jalapeños because the flesh is crunchy and skin is tender. Better for stir fry and fresh salsa and salads. Are any of these varieties like that?

My garden is pepper heaven. Always get great yields froze a lot of them whole last year and that worked well. but looking for new varieties.
Not sure the size you are looking for but They all have a crunchiness to them except the Dr Martin Red has a thinner skin. The Shischito Sweet is very crunchy and not hot.

I use my dehydrator and make pepper flakes, I tried the freezing thing but they get too soft when defrosted.

Peppers are fun and easy to do and no animal takes them. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 11:28 AM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I like banana, bell and jalapeños because the flesh is crunchy and skin is tender. Better for stir fry and fresh salsa and salads. Are any of these varieties like that?

My garden is pepper heaven. Always get great yields froze a lot of them whole last year and that worked well. but looking for new varieties.
Shi****o is great to eat raw in whatever form you decide.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:51 PM

5,895 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Try getting some Lobster compost (expensive) and mixing it into the soil. It might not work rapidly but may help for future. It contains Calcium, or try the Egg solution shown by Gary on Youtube

Not sure the size you are looking for but They all have a crunchiness to them except the Dr Martin Red has a thinner skin. The Shischito Sweet is very crunchy and not hot.

I use my dehydrator and make pepper flakes, I tried the freezing thing but they get too soft when defrosted.

Peppers are fun and easy to do and no animal takes them. lol
I have a friend in MD that has had his pepper plants eaten down to a nub pretty much, not sure what it was. But here, it's just bugs that cause problems, mainly slugs chewing the stems of the fruits, the fruit themselves, and sometimes the main stem of the plant if it's young and not yet woody.

I've picked a pound of shi-shi-to peppers from my biggest plant already. Some of them went red and were actually fairly spicy, although that wasn't from a nibble, I put the whole thing seeds and all in my mouth. Probably about on par with a Jalapeno. Some of the green ones I stir fried had some very light heat in them too, maybe comparable to a green Poblano.

I'm currently growing ~30 varieties, so it's really a big experimental year to see which ones I like most.

Capsicum anuum
-Shepherd
-Gypsy
-Holy Italian
-Jimmy Nardello
-Pepperoncini
-Shi-shi-to
-Chocolate Cake
-Espelette*
-Time Bomb
-Sweet Black Hungarian*
-Orange You Sweet*
-Criola de Cocina
-Early CalWonder*
-Urfa Bider*
-Corbaci*
-Hatvani Eros*
-Jalapeno
-Paradicsom Alaku Sarga Szentes*
-Feher Ozon*
-Poblano

Capsicum chinense
-Roulette
-Biquinho*
-Stuffing Scotch Bonnet*
-Datil Sweet*
-Aji Dulce Sweet Rollo*
-Targu Mures

Capsicum bacatum
-Aji Fantasy White
-St Croix
-Aji Santa Cruz*

Capsicum pubescens
-Desert Cherry Rocoto*

*First year growing and not ripe yet, so still waiting to see how they taste

Gear Head Dave - you'd probably like Gypsy peppers, They're like Sweet Banana peppers in taste, but wider and more thick walled (ie more crunchy and juicy). Quite productive too, I've already picked over 2lbs off an overwintered plant, and the in-ground non-overwintered plant has over 1lb on it too.

Orange You Sweet is looking very promising too. Growing for the first time this year and they're just ripening now, so I haven't tasted any ripe ones yet, but they all set fruit heavily, and early, and are ripening before just about anything else.

I recommend trying some of the milder chinense and bacatum types too, like Roulette, Stuffing Scotch Bonnet, Biquinho, Aji Santa Cruz or Aji Fantasy/Bishop's Crown. They have quite unique fruity flavour profiles.

The heatless cayenne types like Jimmy Nardello are nice and flavorful too. I think corbaci should be in that category too but it's my first year and they're not ready yet so I haven't personally tasted them yet.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I'm currently growing ~30 varieties, so it's really a big experimental year to see which ones I like most.

Capsicum anuum
-Shepherd
-Gypsy
-Holy Italian
-Jimmy Nardello
-Pepperoncini
-Shi-shi-to
-Chocolate Cake
-Espelette*
-Time Bomb
-Sweet Black Hungarian*
-Orange You Sweet*
-Criola de Cocina
-Early CalWonder*
-Urfa Bider*
-Corbaci*
-Hatvani Eros*
-Jalapeno
-Paradicsom Alaku Sarga Szentes*
-Feher Ozon*
-Poblano

Capsicum chinense
-Roulette
-Biquinho*
-Stuffing Scotch Bonnet*
-Datil Sweet*
-Aji Dulce Sweet Rollo*
-Targu Mures

Capsicum bacatum
-Aji Fantasy White
-St Croix
-Aji Santa Cruz*

Capsicum pubescens
-Desert Cherry Rocoto*
WOW!! Nice list! Time Bomb sounds intense!

I think next year I'm going to skip the Potatoes and use that room for more peppers.

Old 07-29-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
WOW!! Nice list! Time Bomb sounds intense!

I think next year I'm going to skip the Potatoes and use that room for more peppers.
Time Bomb was billed as a mild cherry pepper, but that did not turn out to be true for the seeds I got, as they're still reasonably hot peppers, at least the pith and seeds. If I put a whole pepper into a pot of soup, it'll feel almost as hot as if I had put a scotch bonnet pepper (but thicker flesh on the Time Bomb = heavier than the bonnets), so I'm thinking 20,000 SHU+. Definitely not the 1,000 SHU it was advertised as, it's much hotter than a poblano.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:23 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I love the hot stuff too.

Memph, would you advise that I wait til I pull the tomatoes and then add or add it now? I only planted a pepper, a beefsteak and a cherry tomato. The pepper is pulled and the area is only 3 x 5. Thanks will add the lobster whenever you suggest.

Old 07-29-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I love the hot stuff too.

Memph, would you advise that I wait til I pull the tomatoes and then add or add it now? I only planted a pepper, a beefsteak and a cherry tomato. The pepper is pulled and the area is only 3 x 5. Thanks will add the lobster whenever you suggest.
Cambium is the one that advised lobster compost so I'll let him answer about that part.

When I suggested inconsistent watering as a possible cause of blossom end rot - typically that would involve several days without any water, if not a week. A lot of tomatoes, peppers, etc can actually go for a week without water if it's not excessively hot, and the soil has a decent water holding capacity (ex clay/high organic matter) and mulch. Even in well draining sandy soil, they can go without water for many days if the last time they did get water, it was a deep watering (and again, mulch + not too hot). I haven't watered my tomatoes since July 5, since we've been getting 2" of rain per week since then, which is more than enough for our cool summer climate (our summers are about 10F cooler than in DE). So maybe in your case it was not lack of water. It could also be too much soil, if the soil is waterlogged, plants can't take up nutrients as well. Ideally the soil should be neither dry nor waterlogged, just moist.

Are you sure it was blossom end rot? And not sunburn?

Old 07-30-2023, 05:04 AM

Quote:
July 15, 2023 Update::
4.57" rain for the month
7.20" this summer so far
No heat waves. Only 2 days in the 90s this month

July 30, 2023 Update:

6.57" rain for the month
9.20" this summer so far
No heat waves. Only 5 days in the 90s this month

Everything doing well, note the Cherry Tomato in the pot turning yellow. Pots do well in beginning of season but then in ground does better for 2nd half

Cukes finally starting

Onions are ready to harvest.

I have to learn how to split the tuber, these are awesome! I want more. I been fertilizing each week alternating with 9-58-8 bloom fert and 24-8-16

Almost time? Around Mid October is when we need heat for first time. Still 2.5 months away. This stack is for Winter 2024-25 though. I always try to stay ahead 2 yrs to make sure everything is seasoned

Old 07-30-2023, 06:34 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
WOW I am so in awe. I apologize, I thought Memphis suggested the lobster compost. Do I do that now or wait til the fall or next spring before planting.?

Old 07-30-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
WOW I am so in awe. I apologize, I thought Memphis suggested the lobster compost. Do I do that now or wait til the fall or next spring before planting.?
If you aren't planting anything anymore wait until Fall. Actually not sure if its available all seasons. Its compost so it doesnt hurt to add anytime. Ammeding soil is a long term process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden