Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2023, 06:17 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

July 15, 2023 Update::

4.57" rain for the month
7.20" this summer so far
No heat waves. Only 2 days in the 90s this month

This is the rain gauge I use.. Inner tube holds 1 inch then spills into outer tube which holds another 10 inches

Cukes in back climbing. Lettuce and Kale need to be pulled

Still can't believe the Eggplant, Bell Peppers, Okra seeds never germinated. This bed looks empty. Potatoes are ready to harvest.

Even the garden needs aspirin. 1 325mg dissolved in 1 gallon of water.

Spraying whole tomato plants. This helps them get stronger and fight diseases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLeJ-rkAk8

Last edited by Cambium; 07-15-2023 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 06:55 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
I see you have lots of green tomatoes too. I have peppers like mad. I only plant one of each Cherry, Beefsteak and Bell Pepper. So far I have a total of 5 cherry tomatoes that I pulled off and 1 pepper. There are at least 6 peppers growing well right now. I will have a great yield if the tomatoes ever green up.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:27 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,097,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yeah, I noticed as soon as soil temps were steady in the 70s Tomatoes took off, and everything else for that matter. Interesting to see when you'll get your first ripe one AND last

Here's my 7am soil temps. Pretty much steady and normal now in the mid 70s. F°
Note I never really stayed above 80° much nor dipped into the 60s in July. Only twice in 2021
I said mid 60s, but it might even be low 60s... It was 62F at 8am this morning. Generally it reaches about 75F in the afternoon and dips to 70F by the evening. I have had a few ripe cherry tomatoes already, as well as a couple ripe peppers from my in-ground plants. Funny enough - both from some of my hottest varieties, one is a cherry pepper, and the other a ~60,000 SHU chinense pepper called Targu Mures.

Looks like you have determinate tomato varieties? From my slicer tomatoes, both my determinate and indeterminate variety are 5ft tall, with a good number of green tomatoes, but no signs of ripening yet. The cherry tomatoes are about 6ft tall, but only the Sungold has been ripening so far. Midnight Snack is still black & green.

Old 07-15-2023, 11:13 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,032,631 times
Cambium said: Still can't believe the Eggplant, Bell Peppers, Okra seeds never germinated. This bed looks empty. Potatoes are ready to harvest.

Many of my flower seeds also failed to germinate this year. Did you start yours in bagged dirt or in your garden soil?
I'm trying to figure out if there was something in store-bought mix that caused this failure because it's the first time ever this happened. I really can't remember what mix I started my flower seeds in, am thinking it was new mix from Home Depot.

I only have 3 zinnias in my garden this year and one of them was a volunteer. The volunteer is the prettiest and healthiest.

I grew okra first time ever this summer so I could see if we liked eating it. I impulse bought 6 baby okra plants, put 2 in pot and the rest fend for themselves at back of garden. Nope we don't like okra, plus it attracted Japanese beetles to my yard. Must be an acquired taste--I oven roasted them to avoid slime, not a fan.

Old 07-15-2023, 12:50 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Pickled okra is my favorite, especially spicy pickled.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:42 PM

My direct sown okra germinated alright, although I sowed them a bit on the late side, around June 20. I have a few transplanted okra I started in late May too, but okra always seems to struggle for me in seed starting containers, so often only about 1/4 to 1/2 of the ones I sow indoors survive.

Eggplants and peppers I always start indoors, although I had some volunteers pop up in late June, probably from grocery store pepper seeds that wound up in the compost pile and that I spread into my beds in early-mid June. I removed most of them because it's probably too late for them to produce and because I have enough peppers already and not much space left, but I did keep one so we'll see what it is.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:21 AM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Looks like you have determinate tomato varieties? .
Actually they are indeterminate...Actually there's a mix.

Once your soil stays in the 70s you'll see the plants start producing more consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Did you start yours in bagged dirt or in your garden soil?
Garden bed which has a mix of bagged soil & compost but that never stopped them from germinating in previous years. Odd your flowers failed too.

With my case I'm guessing the soil was too cold to germinate in June and then the seeds just rotted out in ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Pickled okra is my favorite, especially spicy pickled.
I never tried pickling them. Nobody in my family likes Okra. lol

Quote:
My direct sown okra germinated alright
Well there goes my cold soil theory. lol. If they germinated for you with soil in the 60s at night, they should have here. But I planted them when soil was struggling to pass 50s though.

Quote:
Eggplants and peppers I always start indoors, although I had some volunteers pop up in late June, probably from grocery store pepper seeds that wound up in the compost pile and that I spread into my beds in early-.
You just reminded me, I started my eggplants and bells inside and they didnt germinate. BINGO. It's the seeds, not the soils. Do you find the volunteers do well through the season? I never let mine continue due to a bad spot to grow in

Old 07-16-2023, 11:28 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
I think I ended up with 10 pepper plants. Planted 30-ish and 17-18 germinated. 10 survived the move outside and were transplanted and doing well. Looks like they are about to set.

Planted 10 potato seeds, all germinated but they all drowned outside.

I didn't put out anything that was supposed to be direct-sown. The weather never cooperated for me.

I did end up with a number of strawberry plants but they were all new. I didn't get many strawberries though, but the ones I got were amazing. The ones I nurtured in pots all winter (from last year) died late winter.

The everbearing strawberry plant I bought last year had a few small ones on it right now.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:05 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
I never tried pickling them. Nobody in my family likes Okra. lol
Totally different. Pickle them immediately when ripe and add a few hot peppers in each jar and let them rest for at least 60 days. Throw a grape leaf in there too- helps to keep them crisp.

We can't grow them here, but my wife has bought some and pickled them. We all love it. Growing up my dad would insist on tomato and okra 'stew' over rice as a side. That was a slimy concoction.

Old 07-16-2023, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Actually they are indeterminate...Actually there's a mix.

Once* your soil stays in the 70s you'll see the plants start producing more consistently.
*If? If it hasn't happened by now, not sure it ever will.

Quote:

Well there goes my cold soil theory. lol. If they germinated for you with soil in the 60s at night, they should have here. But I planted them when soil was struggling to pass 50s though.
Just checked my notes. Direct sown June 16, germinated June 22. Don't remember what the soil temp was for that 7 day stretch but average high was 76F and average low was 54F. I watered the soil a fair bit.

Quote:
You just reminded me, I started my eggplants and bells inside and they didnt germinate. BINGO. It's the seeds, not the soils. Do you find the volunteers do well through the season? I never let mine continue due to a bad spot to grow in
We'll see, it's the first time I'm growing one out. Just one this time, I transplanted it into a container when it had its second true leaf since it was about to get crowded out by the cucumbers and peppers next to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden