Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2023, 02:37 PM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

Todays harvest.

Not a big year, but enough for me and the families. No heat waves this year I would think the Tomatoes would of thrived. Maybe too much rain 11.19 inches since June 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 03:58 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
Maybe. We've received 10.3 inches since June 1st and I'd say that's pretty wet by our standards. Only the first 3 weeks of June were a bit dry. The cool temperatures might have made it feel wetter, due to lower evapotranspiration rates?

Old 08-15-2023, 10:48 AM

My 86 yr old neighbor grows these Tomatoes called Cuor Di Bue. Translation: Heart of the Ox

Story about this...

In 2014 my mom went to Italy and brought back tomato seeds called Cuor Di Bue.

I tried to grow them twice but the plant never grew and produced. I believe because I dont have full sun (only 4-5 hrs) and the climate in Italy is hotter for these plants?

Anyway, I stopped growing it, I gave the seeds to my neighbor. He has full sun there and he's been saving the seeds ever since. Grows them each year and man do they produce.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:19 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Very interesting looking tomato. Looks like an excellent sauce variety.

Old 08-17-2023, 02:52 PM

21 posts, read 8,543 times
I had the same tomato variety growing up, it's very very tasty!

Old 08-19-2023, 05:06 AM

4.57 inches of rain this month. Only 5 days in the last 20 have been above normal during the day. Amazing summer. One of my favorites. No Heat Waves!

I got 2 spots cucumbers are growing on the trellis.
I'm getting lazy picking them everyday now. lol

Tomatoes dont look like the usual jungle this year but then again its only 15 of them

Winning against the squirrels.

What am I doing now? Extending the garden bed?

Nah, just replacing the old grass in this section

I'm imagining how much more stuff I can grow in this..

Old 08-20-2023, 10:19 AM

I'm imagining what I would plant there.

Some people would think pools I'm thinking veggies but in the end its just gonna be new grass

Old 08-23-2023, 04:33 AM

I dont remember such a cool August with temps only in the 70s and dewpoints in the 50s. WOW! No 90s. No Heat waves.

August 21, 2023 Harvest

Funny how the biggest harvests come 5 months after starting seeds (March) and 3 months after transplanting outside (May)

Made a bouquet of Daliahs. Next year I definitely want to have more Dahlias. I need to learn how to split the tubers.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:08 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,100,195 times
My biggest harvests always start around this time too. But they should continue until first frost. Cukes, zucchini and sungold tomatoes will slow down soon due to pests and disease, but eggplants, green beans still going strong. Other tomatoes still going strong or ramping up. Many peppers are going to be ramping up into September. Figs and okra only just getting started. Lima beans, roselle, watermelons and melons are going to come in in September, as well as the second flush of raspberries. And winter squash, tomatillo, sweet potato, yacon, gobo, pumpkin are gonna come in (mostly) around the first frost. Cool season crops are gonna be mostly Sep-Oct harvests. Still have rhubarb I can pick too.

The focus over the coming years will be to get some perennials established to early season production that is currently lacking. Berry bushes, fruit trees, asparagus, multiplier onions, skirret, greens (ex hablitzia) and a good seed bank of mache for April-July harvests. Nut trees seem like an interesting concept but not sure if I'll have space or if any are worth growing. Might just get a black walnut cracker and collect those nuts from all the local parks since they're all over the place...

Old 08-27-2023, 09:05 AM

No 90s. No heat waves continues. Incredible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
My biggest harvests always start around this time too. But they should continue until first frost..
Thats interesting because in September things slow down here but not get killed. Frost isn't until Mid October but new blooms in September do not have time to mature and ripen.

Thats because nights drop into the 40s/50s in September and days sometimes only stay in the 70s everything just starts slowing down. So technically I only have 1 good month of decent harvests.

Speaking of which...

Todays harvest

Fig tree out of control.

I pruned and tied it up. Just a bad spot for it

Bell Pepper in the pot broke off

Seeds are down

Weeding and Cleaning. Incredible Pattern continues. No dog days of summer this year!

Anyone know what this is?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden