Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 12:10 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

let me ask everyone this , do you all always put your tomatoes in the same area or spot year after year for some reason I have heard that is not good to do ...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
let me ask everyone this , do you all always put your tomatoes in the same area or spot year after year for some reason I have heard that is not good to do ...thanks
used to use the same spot when we lived in NM and we had awesome tomatoes. Now i move them from one container this year to another container the following year. I have heard the same thing you have.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
I do for 2-3 yrs then switch. Problem is sunlight and space and companion planting. Potatoes shouldn't go with Tomatoes but because Potatoes need more sun I'm limited to keeping them in certain spots.

If you can control diseases and take care of the soil then I don't see a problem keeping them in same spot time after time. Think of farms. They have same crop in same spot each year

Old 04-26-2017, 05:35 AM

In 5 months time can you tell the difference with my compost pile? November vs April.

I need to turn it now once we actually have a sunny day and stop raining which I forgot what is like.

Close up. Leaves molding nicely. But pile is compressing so I need to turn it. Fluff it up, give it more oxygen underneath.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Nice compost pile.

I hear some of you about the rain. I haven't been down to my garden in a few days. I only had some lettuce, spinach and onions planted so far. I can see tons of weeds though. I may try to clean some of it up and maybe cover it with weed cloth until I can plant after Mother's Day.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Nice compost pile.

I hear some of you about the rain. I haven't been down to my garden in a few days. I only had some lettuce, spinach and onions planted so far. I can see tons of weeds though. I may try to clean some of it up and maybe cover it with weed cloth until I can plant after Mother's Day.
If you're in Western TN you might not like what is projected in coming week. Lots more rain. From NWS

Did you guys see Raleigh, NC? Wettest April on Record since late 1800s.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I am in the very far eastern part of TN. I feel bad for all those people expecting so much more rain.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
We pulled the vines in the fall and burned them when dried. We always moved them behind where the corn was the year before. Also we planted most everything on a modified sweet potato ridge. Soil was heavy clay and didn't drain. Very rich but could get to wet easy without elevated beds. Especially for tomatoes and squash. Have some Irish potatoes peaking through the ground. Not starting tomato plants this year. Just to busy getting in perennials. All the berries, fruit trees, & 200 Purple Jersey asparagus plants. Weather is looking good for planting lima beans, zipper cream peas and sweet corn this weekend and next week. Okra is iffy. Night temps still a little chilly for okra.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:24 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
I try to rotate, but I have more tomatoes than any other veggie I grow. I actually am cutting back this year. I had over 45 last year. I was aiming cut it to 20, I'm going to be at 29 (maybe round it up to make an even 30) I am growing 16 in the place where I had 20 last year, 2 in a raised bed I had 4 in last year, 7 in another bed I had 8 in last year, and 8 along a stretch I haven't planted tomatoes in.

Disease is one reason to rotate crops, and also because certain plants deplete elements in the soil they need to grow well.

Every year I add more compost and till it in. This year, my tiller wouldn't start. I hand tilled best I could and added a lot of new compost. I'm hoping this will help me not have trouble, and help me have good tomatoes this year (last year was horrible, lack of rain).

So, if you have the space, try to plant elsewhere. If you don't have space to plant elsewhere, make sure you add soil to amend the soil. I don't think it's so bad to plant in the same spot 2 years in a row, at least I hope it won't be!!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I am in the very far eastern part of TN. I feel bad for all those people expecting so much more rain.
here in NWA our farmers markets if open at all have almost nothing and our garden is barely surviving. I can see it from the window, but can't even begin to go near it because of the muddy conditions and it is raining again today. I can see our basil and dill is doing very well. Also the weeds have survived the rains. thank God we have a raised garden. We were going to spray the weeds tomorrow but now will wait til it dries out a little more; hopefully by the week end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden