Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 01:48 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,396,625 times

Advertisements

I have another two weeks of tilling and fertilizing and adding amendments to the soil.
I grow giant pumpkins, giant tomatoes, giant sunflowers and heirloom tomato varieties.
I also have corn, beans, carrots and lettuce.

I'm using an indoor growing system to start my vegetables and can't wait to get them outside and into the ground.

Tonight here in the Lehigh Valley of PA we have a frost freeze watch in effect so I'm very happy I didn't plant anything outside yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 03:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 105,064,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Wouldn't it be nice if our bodies stayed as young as our minds do?
Well according to my kids and grandkids maybe they, cause /12 the time they call me a crazy old lady and the rest of the time they say I am a big baby...

Old 03-25-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I have another two weeks of tilling and fertilizing and adding amendments to the soil.
I grow giant pumpkins, giant tomatoes, giant sunflowers and heirloom tomato varieties.
I also have corn, beans, carrots and lettuce.

I'm using an indoor growing system to start my vegetables and can't wait to get them outside and into the ground.

Tonight here in the Lehigh Valley of PA we have a frost freeze watch in effect so I'm very happy I didn't plant anything outside yet.
and here in NWAR they are saying, we should have no nights below 50 for the next 10 days. Of course after that the chance of frost is almost nothing.It look like we really are having an early spring.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,815,697 times
With now garden plot to til and use now, I'm at least going to put out 12 Celebrity tomatoes. Should provide plenty of fresh and more to can. 5 gallon nursery pots with the drains in the bottom with a heavy layer of rocks in the bottom so they won't tip easily. I use potting soil designed for tomatoes and a weekly feeding of Peters 10-30-20 that has no chlorine and also has all the minor elements in it. l won't use any organic matter that could possibly contain salmonella as tomatoes can take the bacteria up through the roots.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM

13,722 posts, read 10,080,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
With now garden plot to til and use now, I'm at least going to put out 12 Celebrity tomatoes. Should provide plenty of fresh and more to can. 5 gallon nursery pots with the drains in the bottom with a heavy layer of rocks in the bottom so they won't tip easily. I use potting soil designed for tomatoes and a weekly feeding of Peters 10-30-20 that has no chlorine and also has all the minor elements in it. l won't use any organic matter that could possibly contain salmonella as tomatoes can take the bacteria up through the roots.
Sounds a good plan, could do with more nitrogen, and bit less phosphorus though, plus a bit more magnesium.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Ordered the tomato plants today from the grandson of my 4th and 6th grade school teacher along with a five gallon nursery pot to grow them in. Looks like I'm going to be eating a lot of pineapples now in order to get the top to start pineapple plants with. Those will go in containers so I can take them north and raise in a green house.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Ordered the tomato plants today from the grandson of my 4th and 6th grade school teacher along with a five gallon nursery pot to grow them in. Looks like I'm going to be eating a lot of pineapples now in order to get the top to start pineapple plants with. Those will go in containers so I can take them north and raise in a green house.
You are on your way it sounds.

Today Home depot has a huge sale on plants so we are heading there after Pat's radiation treatment. I was going to wait and see if Lowe's has a similar sale this weekend, but decided, as long as Home depot is so close to where Pat goes each day, we would just get ur tomato plants there. Most everything else will be grown from the seeds I have..Oh, they have herbs on sale as well. I have already planted a dill plant and cilarntro.

It really does look like there will be no more frost here or certainly no hard freeze. Our normal, last frost is early April and the weather reports for the next 10 days have temps from high 40s to 60 at night.

Nita

Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 AM

I should plant some dill to make dilled okra with.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I should plant some dill to make dilled okra with.
we use it for okra, pickles and just in some salads. Like tonight, we are having chicken salad with terragon and dill dressing.

Nita

Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM

I try and use scarce garden space for what is expensive at the market. Pickled okra is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden