Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM

866 posts, read 1,136,802 times

Advertisements

Looks like I'll have to reseed one of the growing areas that I thought had sprouted...turns out the seedlings are NOT from the seeds I had planted but are seed pods that dropped out of the tree that partially shades the area...
my stirring up the soil to plant got them started growing that shows that the dirt has still got nutrients,I guess.
the seeds I did plant must have been too old so I'll start again with something else and see what happens...I've got lots to choose from...
SOMETHING should come up besides radishes...
let's see: there's wax beans, romano beans, cukes, squash(yellow & green),sugar snap peas...might be able to get in a harvest of salad greens before it gets really hot...looks like I'll be out in the garden tomorrow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
sugar snap peas.....
Check to be sure on the sugar snap peas. They are a cool weather crop. I have grown them and they will grow high as your head if you plant them along a trellis.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
Looks like I'll have to reseed one of the growing areas that I thought had sprouted...turns out the seedlings are NOT from the seeds I had planted but are seed pods that dropped out of the tree that partially shades the area...
my stirring up the soil to plant got them started growing that shows that the dirt has still got nutrients,I guess.
the seeds I did plant must have been too old so I'll start again with something else and see what happens...I've got lots to choose from...
SOMETHING should come up besides radishes...
let's see: there's wax beans, romano beans, cukes, squash(yellow & green),sugar snap peas...might be able to get in a harvest of salad greens before it gets really hot...looks like I'll be out in the garden tomorrow...
Just about ready to put my clothes on and head out to the garden right now. Yes, I will get dressed first, I wouldn't want to shock anyone, not that we have many neighbors but sometimes someone walks by.

Nita

Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I try and use scarce garden space for what is expensive at the market. Pickled okra is one of them.
I did okra last year. It was fun cause the plants got almost as tall as small trees but I am not a huge lover of it and we had so much I was sauteeing it a couple times a week, froze some for soup and did picket a lot. The biggest problem I had with pickling it, some of the stocks were old or whatever and it just wasn't all that great. Because it isn't my favorite thing (hubby likes it better) I think I will do what I have done before, when it goes on sale here, which is late summer I will buy a few lbs and pickle that for him.

Nita

Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
I try and use scarce garden space for what is expensive at the market. Pickled okra is one of them.
Mmmm Okra.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
I have teeny-tiny baby blooms on the marzano tomatoes I planted at the end of February.
Oh, and I planted a 1/2 dozen of these today;
Arbequina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rubbing my hands together in glee at the thought of making my own olive oil a few years from now!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have teeny-tiny baby blooms on the marzano tomatoes I planted at the end of February.
Oh, and I planted a 1/2 dozen of these today;
Arbequina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rubbing my hands together in glee at the thought of making my own olive oil a few years from now!
good for you. We are so lucky here to have an early spring and I have a few blooms on my tomatoes but we still have to worry about the possibility of a late frost, unlikely as it is.

Nita

Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
Snake question -

I rescued an old claw foot bathtub that was torn up pretty bad from the side of the road and planted herbs in it. And those are growing well, thanks for asking! BUT...yesterday I noticed two snakes living under the tub. The long black ones with the lengthwise orange and yellow stripes - I don't know what they are called, runners or garters or something. I have no desire to meet them and ask about their family lineage... I know they are "good" snakes, if there really is such a thing.

I got over my terror and read on garden snakes and they like earthworms and toads...and I thought I was trying to give the earthworms and toads a nice home. So what to do with these guys? I refuse to re-home them, I won't get that close. I don't want to kill them...truth is, my spaniel may accomplish that before I can.

Ugh. I have always been a proponent of the "only good snake is a dead snake" school of thought but am trying to be more Hindu in my old age...help...

Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Snake question -

I rescued an old claw foot bathtub that was torn up pretty bad from the side of the road and planted herbs in it. And those are growing well, thanks for asking! BUT...yesterday I noticed two snakes living under the tub. The long black ones with the lengthwise orange and yellow stripes - I don't know what they are called, runners or garters or something. I have no desire to meet them and ask about their family lineage... I know they are "good" snakes, if there really is such a thing.

I got over my terror and read on garden snakes and they like earthworms and toads...and I thought I was trying to give the earthworms and toads a nice home. So what to do with these guys? I refuse to re-home them, I won't get that close. I don't want to kill them...truth is, my spaniel may accomplish that before I can.

Ugh. I have always been a proponent of the "only good snake is a dead snake" school of thought but am trying to be more Hindu in my old age...help...
we all know snakes can do good as well as bad, but I still hate them. It does sound like both are pretty harmless. BTW what kind of spaniel do you have? We used to raise Springers. Oh how I miss them.

Nita

Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Looking forward to Memorial Day weekend so I can plant my garden!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden