Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 03:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
when I hear that I think about the mint we had in NM. It started out as one plant, I am sure. As the years went by, it took over the entire garden and while other people pulled weeds all summer, we pulled mint. I love the smell, am using it a lot these days but hate trying to keep it under control. That is why, I grow it in a pot only.
Yep, mint is very prolific and persistent, lol! At least it's useful. I've dried some for hot mint tea, and will likely use it in some tea blends, as well as in black tea or alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Yep, mint is very prolific and persistent, lol! At least it's useful. I've dried some for hot mint tea, and will likely use it in some tea blends, as well as in black tea or alone.
When I think of mint, I think of using in tea, but we are starting to use it in a lot of cooked dishes, especially mixed with a little basel and rosemary. I never thought I would do much of anything with it,

Old 05-27-2014, 01:00 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Woo hoo 2 of my 4 tomato plants have a couple of blooms but one plant is only about 6" high. The paste tomato is about 18" high I worried about all that water we got since I'm doing container gardening this year.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:17 PM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
Quote:
When I think of mint, I think of using in tea, but we are starting to use it in a lot of cooked dishes, especially mixed with a little basel and rosemary. I never thought I would do much of anything with it,
Yes we use mint too for some East Indian cooking including spicy mint chutneys. Later on in the summer I dry our mint for tea or I fill it in little mini cushions and hang them in our closets. Just planted 2 weeks ago a variety of tomatoes,zucchini,chilies,peppers,cucumbers,okra and I have already my herbs.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:21 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
I will have to look up some recipes. Already there are some herbed jellies I want to make (Lemon Rosemary, etc.), and I'm sure there are some good mint recipes out there.

In other garden news, my lettuce pots are sprouting!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
The horehound seems to have self seeded a lot, but that is good news. I still need to go and eradicate the lemon balm. I'm doing my regular and growing tomatoes from seed. I never have been able to get them early so far, so I'll just settle for the usual late-summer tomatoes. They are tiny now.

I planted a pot with cilantro. I'll just keep sowing it until I get some tomatoes. ha ha ha

The beans and okra have germinated. These are also small. Although I started the peppers way long ago, they're still tiny in the pots. Although they did survive the sunburn that killed the tomatoes. I'm done early sowing stuff inside. It has not been worth it for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:33 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
My little patio/container garden is doing well this year. I've even spotted a few bees buzzing around!

Old 05-30-2014, 01:53 PM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
This my first year gardening and my success has been meh. I had started some tomatoes and eggplants indoors and then they died pretty much right when I transplanted them. I know where I went wrong (I believe it was the seed starter I used; I may just use straight up potting soil next year).

I planted lettuce, broccoli and strawberries seeds. The lettuce or broccoli (my labels blew away in a storm) was starting to peek through a week ago. Will see if they come to fruition.

I bought spinach and jalapeno at a nursery and they are growing really nice.

First year is always an experiment from what I hear.

As for my flowers, this past November, I planted some tulip bulbs. Tulips are my absolute favorite, so I knew I wanted to plant them when I pretty much got in the house. I basically dug up a couple of areas, put the bulbs in and put the soil and some more top soil on it. When they bloomed, I was so excited. I really didn't do that much and it was great! Wish all my gardening experiences were that easy.

Some photos of my tulips. I miss them already. I plan to really expand my bed for next year:

Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Welcome to the thread Okellies! The tulips are pretty. I like the way you edged the bed, too.

Well I'm on my 4th year of veggie gardening...I think. Some of my seedlings got killed too. The weather is chilly again for some reason, but the small warm-season veggies seem to be ok.

My kohlrabi bases are getting thicker. I can't wait to eat these. I had russian kale over winter or something even with the polar vortex. It is DELISH. I like it MUCH better than the curly kale. But it is possible that it tastes so good because it got hit by frost?

I planted some winter squash in the backyard. I'm going to plant some more. These did not do very well the first year I planted. I'm hoping for better luck in a more fertile spot. The self sowing yellow cherry tomatoes have come up in the other flower bed.

The things I have in pots are bok choi, cilantro and a thai basil I got from wholefoods. These are doing well. I was going to replace the bok choi and cilantro with flowers, but I think I like having edible stuff in these pots as well.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:15 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
A veggie garden is started. A living salad bowl (three kinds of lettuces and a pansy in a pot) actually, since cutting a many more trees, we're endeavoring to grow a few tomatoes too. The only success in the shade has been onions and garlic, not all bad. and kohlrabi. I wonder if the mosquitoes will take the harvest..........There is still ice on the big lake.(Superior)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden