Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 04:45 PM

257 posts, read 132,391 times

Advertisements

About 4.2 million Americans, and about 120,000,000 people globally die each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 04:50 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Thank you for your responses. This request must sound strange, but this was/is a despicable person. Every year when my sister's birthday or the anniversary of her death arrives, I try not to think of her premature death & how much I miss her. Every year I wonder if he is still alive, enjoying what she has missed out on. I don't know why, but it hit especially hard this year.

If anyone can think of anything else I can do to find out if he died, please let me know. I just need some closure.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Thank you for your responses. This request must sound strange, but this was/is a despicable person. Every year when my sister's birthday or the anniversary of her death arrives, I try not to think of her premature death & how much I miss her. Every year I wonder if he is still alive, enjoying what she has missed out on. I don't know why, but it hit especially hard this year.

If anyone can think of anything else I can do to find out if he died, please let me know. I just need some closure.
Have you tried searching Google or Facebook for his last name only. You might turn up a relative that you could message and ask.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:06 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
1. I did Google his name & found nothing. As I said, he always kept a low profile, especially after he closed his business & retired.

2. I will check with the cemetery. When she died, he bought a joint plot, even though she wanted cremation.

3. There are no relatives. Her good friend, who avoided the funeral, has also died.

4. Is that public information? Would I need to contact the county tax assessor for that information? Their house was paid in full for years. He would never part with it even if he was in a nursing home, because it's in an area that has become very expensive.
county coroner's offices keep records of all deaths. If you know the last county of residence, call them.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:53 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Default Free SSDI websites

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Legacy.com is also a good source of obits nationwide from papers and funeral homes back to year 2000

I check my home town every Sunday

https://www.legacy.com/

The Social Security (SSDI) files are only good up til 2014, for privacy reasons. Also not available from SSA itself. Here is one free site.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535
Quote:
I will try these websites, but they say I have to become a member. Are they free? I'm not doing genealogy, & this person isn't worth my money.
Legacy is a totally free website. In addtion to newspaper obits, it has notifications from funeral homes of just burials and cremations.

While FamilySearch does normally ask you to create a username and password, it is otherwise free, AND The SSDI pages at FamilySearch, Ancestry, and Genealogy Bank are free to all.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:59 PM

4,861 posts, read 2,673,519 times
if you want a recent pic of the headstone, go to craigslist in that section where the cemetery is and ask someone..maybe they'll do it for a few bucks..

Old 06-06-2022, 08:24 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Is there a funeral home attached to the cemetery? Check their website, some keep their obits there for quite a while. And/or check funeral home that handled your sister’s funeral.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:04 AM

5,344 posts, read 3,214,825 times
Quote:
I will try these websites, but they say I have to become a member. Are they free? I'm not doing genealogy, & this person isn't worth my money.
Familysearch.org is free. Yes while it is a genealogy based platform, it still may have something you're looking for. Or it may not. Either way it's free and another resource.

Regarding findagrave, it's not a one and done proposition. I believe it is a crowdsourced website so maybe the individual person you chatted with has a one and done policy but there surely are others photographing that cemetery. You can type in that cemetery name on findagrave and it will show you the contributors. May be worthwhile to reach out to one or more and ask if they can photograph for you. Just a thought.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:15 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
FamilySearch is free. And since you have his name and date of birth - you will probably find out.

Old 06-09-2022, 12:31 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Well, he was not dead through 2014. I can't find anything through Family Search other than the SS Death Index. Am I navigating the site incorrectly? I did sign up with them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy