Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 12:28 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times

Advertisements

I want to know if the man my late sister was married to is dead. This is someone who flies/flew below the radar pretty well, especially regarding the internet.

This has nothing to do with money or material possessions. I just want to know if he's dead.

I don't want to try to obtain a death certificate, I don't want to spend the money & I'm unsure if he would still be living in the county where their home was.

If this is the wrong forum, please move as appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 02:48 AM

451 posts, read 421,454 times
Social security has a website to look people up. do you have birthrate?
Obits in local paper websites.
Good luck

Old 06-06-2022, 03:02 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Check the address and see who is living at that home.
Google his name.
Many cemeteries have a plan/list of gravestones.
Ask relatives or friends.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:54 AM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
FindAGrave is usually a good first stop.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:12 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I want to know if the man my late sister was married to is dead. This is someone who flies/flew below the radar pretty well, especially regarding the internet.

This has nothing to do with money or material possessions. I just want to know if he's dead.

I don't want to try to obtain a death certificate, I don't want to spend the money & I'm unsure if he would still be living in the county where their home was.

If this is the wrong forum, please move as appropriate.

You could google his name, if he's dead, there may be an obituary that comes up. Doesn't always happen,
but I've found a few former friends, coworkers, associates, neighbors had died checking it out through Google.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:21 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Legacy.com is also a good source of obits nationwide from papers and funeral homes back to year 2000

I check my home town every Sunday

https://www.legacy.com/

The Social Security (SSDI) files are only good up til 2014, for privacy reasons. Also not available from SSA itself. Here is one free site.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535

Old 06-06-2022, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Check the address and see who is living at that home.
Google his name.
Many cemeteries have a plan/list of gravestones.
Ask relatives or friends.
1. I did Google his name & found nothing. As I said, he always kept a low profile, especially after he closed his business & retired.

2. I will check with the cemetery. When she died, he bought a joint plot, even though she wanted cremation.

3. There are no relatives. Her good friend, who avoided the funeral, has also died.

4. Is that public information? Would I need to contact the county tax assessor for that information? Their house was paid in full for years. He would never part with it even if he was in a nursing home, because it's in an area that has become very expensive.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodolfocostarica View Post
Social security has a website to look people up. do you have birthrate?
Obits in local paper websites.
Good luck
Are you talking about the Social Security death index? I don't believe that is available to the public anymore and it only goes as far back as 2014. I do know his date of birth.

I have looked for obituaries but haven't found one. They have to be paid for & he is a notorious cheapskate & a loner so I doubt there would be one. My sister had a printed obituary because her friend & I paid for it.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I actually had find a Find A Grave photograph her headstone for me several years ago, as I moved far from where she's buried. It's a joint headstone, with his name & birth date on it as well as her name, dob, and date of death. I have tried to explain to them that I would like a current photograph, but their policy is that they have photographed it once so they are done.

Old 06-06-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Legacy.com is also a good source of obits nationwide from papers and funeral homes back to year 2000

I check my home town every Sunday

https://www.legacy.com/

The Social Security (SSDI) files are only good up til 2014, for privacy reasons. Also not available from SSA itself. Here is one free site.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1202535
I will try these websites, but they say I have to become a member. Are they free? I'm not doing genealogy, & this person isn't worth my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy