Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 12:18 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The SSDI has not been online at ss.gov since 2014, that function was shipped from SS to the National Technical Information Service (NTIS) where it is now known as the Limited Access Death Master File (LADMF). Access to the LADMF is restricted to those who pass a certification test to assure that the index is not used by criminals to create fraudulent identities. Google searches for SSDI usually end up taking you to ancestry.com where one needs to buy a membership to search. I've a membership but still cannot find two relatives back in MD.

If anyone reading this is certified to access the LADMF and would like to help the OP please let her know by DM, and also let me know by DM as I've two cousins I'd like to know about.

Well, thank you for that information.

It seems extremely irresponsible, but the SSDI could at one time be accessed on the Social Security website by anyone, & the decedent's dob, dod, & Social Security number was there for all to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2022, 08:50 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Well, thank you for that information.

It seems extremely irresponsible, but the SSDI could at one time be accessed on the Social Security website by anyone, & the decedent's dob, dod, & Social Security number was there for all to see.
It probably was irresponsible of them to leave the SSN database wide open since the SSN is such a key item of data. I recall when I worked as an Army civilian employee that any form or piece of paper that contained someone's SSN had to be covered by a protective cover to alert handlers that they were dealing with an SSN, which IIRC was covered by the Privacy Act. These days I find that the SSN is not used much anymore, at least with all my doctors who leave that space blank on my medical records, and it has been quite a while since anyone asked for the last 4 digits of my SSN, instead they ask for a PIN or the last four digits of my phone number and at the drug store they ask for my street address and the last four of my phone number.

IIRC criminals used SSNs to set up fake IDs and illegal aliens used the SSNs to appear as legit citizens to get work.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:24 AM

1 posts, read 398 times
I've just found some really helpful information that might help you - https://wills.services/how-to-find-out-if-a-person-is-deceased-online

Last edited by ThomasSurfer; 09-28-2022 at 05:33 AM..

Old 10-01-2022, 07:07 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasSurfer View Post
I've just found some really helpful information that might help you - https://wills.services/how-to-find-o...eceased-online
The OP is gone. You answered an old thread.

Old 10-06-2022, 02:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
I know the OP isn't a member any more but I want to leave comments in case someone else is curious since the thread has been bumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Familysearch.org is free. Yes while it is a genealogy based platform, it still may have something you're looking for. Or it may not. Either way it's free and another resource.

Regarding findagrave, it's not a one and done proposition. I believe it is a crowdsourced website so maybe the individual person you chatted with has a one and done policy but there surely are others photographing that cemetery. You can type in that cemetery name on findagrave and it will show you the contributors. May be worthwhile to reach out to one or more and ask if they can photograph for you. Just a thought.

Good luck.

If the OP ever checks her thread, all she has to do is go to her sisters find a grave to request a photo directly under where it shows current photos on the main memorial page.

The memorial manager may not be local to the cemetery so asking is pointless.

The OP also should search to see if a find a grave page has been made for the husband by clicking on "see more named XXX in the same cemetery. If they entered him it will come up, she can then go to his memorial to request an updated pic. All she has to do is say she's curious if he's got a date of death on the headstone.

OP did say she called the funeral home, he's not buried at her sisters cemetery but how would they know if a different funeral home was used? She needs to call the cemetery to ask if he is there.

The OP can join find a grave and request her sisters memorial be transferred to the OP. She is closely related, if the memorial manager doesn't do it, she contacts find a grave from the bottom of the page to complain, they will immediately switch it to the OP because she's closely related to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
It's possible he's still alive. You confirmed he was alive through 2014. I'm assuming you've done a Google search for his obituaries and came up with nothing.

You indicated you don't want to spend any money but you will have to invest time to get an answer. Best place to start is the last item you know to be true. If he owned the house you speak of, go on the local assessor's website (may be city, may be county) and search property records. See if the property is in his name. If not then find out when he sold it and you'll then know he was at least still alive through "X".

Did he have children? Any other relatives?

This can be done on the website zillow.com. All the OP has to do is input his address, when it comes up, click on home details in the right hand box, then scroll until you see tax information and history of last sale. It will not list who owns it, it will show if it has been sold in the last 10 or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy