Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM

281 posts, read 643,451 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting thread. I have not moved yet, but am planning a move to Dallas. The reasons so many of you have moved back home are the reasons I have not left yet after two years of planning. I am so afraid I will hate it, be bored, miss my hometown etc...and just move back. So I keep wondering why should I even try? But then I read about how others' have moved away and love their new home and are happy. I know the reasons for leaving are as different as the people, but I'm thinking of all of you who moved then moved back, were the reasons you left in the first place not that important after finally leaving and getting homesick? I don't hate my hometown (lived here 40 years, grew up here) but I am wanting a change and better career opportunity in a large city. My friends are divided...some say they cannot imagine going to a place where I don't have a lot of friends or family, others say staying here is "stagnant comfort" and I'll never break out of my comfort zone and be more successful by staying here. I guess if I moved away and came back it wouldn't be the end of the world...but it would be a very expensive mistake! lol Also, I thought if I don't like Dallas after all, maybe I'd just move somewhere else. But after reading this thread it doesn't really sound like it's the city, per se, moreso people wanted to just get back to what they were familiar with?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
What is that quote? It is better to regret choices you have made than choices you did not make. Or something like that. Basically...TAKE A CHANCE!

I am getting ready to move from Des Moines to Phoenix. I have hated winter all of my life, and am finally getting out. I have nothing tying me here, so why not? I am taking very little stuff with me. It is going to be a great adventure!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:51 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,964 times
Indeed, there is a lot to be said about breaking out of your comfort zone. I highly recommend it. It builds character and even if you fail or just simply get homesick and return, at least you tried. One less thing to regret not doing on your deathbed.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:25 PM

303 posts, read 539,834 times
We moved last month and are not planning on going back for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We don't miss KY at all and the logistics of visiting again so soon are just a pain. Our families are not happy about it but they'll get over it. I don't think my SO will want to go back ever quite frankly, his family will come visit us. My parents and siblings will probably come to CA too to see me but I'll probably go back once a year to see my grandparents. They raised me so we're really close and my grandfather doesn't like to travel. But, I can't imagine EVER wanting to actually live there again, I spent 20+ years wanting to get out!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:28 PM

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Awesome quote...I actually just copied it for myself the other day to help me when I'm "chickening out"!

Thanks for the reminder, ElleTea

Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

Awesome quote...I actually just copied it for myself the other day to help me when I'm "chickening out"!

Thanks for the reminder, ElleTea
That's right!

I am moving in 2 weeks. I have never been to my new city. I don't really know anyone there. I have found a cute apartment online (extrememly well researched) and have a job interview lined up when I get there. Yet, I keep getting "Do you have family there? No? Wow, you are BRAVE!" (usually followed by "I am jealous!")

I don't think being brave has anything to do with it. I just am ready to make a change and now is the time. If I fail...on to the next thing!

Old 11-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Don't ever think of it as "failing"...think of it as not working out or not what you anticipated and try something else if that happens. Also, a good friend of mine told me when I chickened out on moving one time because I wanted comfort and convenience over the fear of the unknown...no succesfull person ever opted for comfort over risk.

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
This is an interesting thread. I have not moved yet, but am planning a move to Dallas. The reasons so many of you have moved back home are the reasons I have not left yet after two years of planning. I am so afraid I will hate it, be bored, miss my hometown etc...and just move back. So I keep wondering why should I even try? But then I read about how others' have moved away and love their new home and are happy. I know the reasons for leaving are as different as the people, but I'm thinking of all of you who moved then moved back, were the reasons you left in the first place not that important after finally leaving and getting homesick? I don't hate my hometown (lived here 40 years, grew up here) but I am wanting a change and better career opportunity in a large city. My friends are divided...some say they cannot imagine going to a place where I don't have a lot of friends or family, others say staying here is "stagnant comfort" and I'll never break out of my comfort zone and be more successful by staying here. I guess if I moved away and came back it wouldn't be the end of the world...but it would be a very expensive mistake! lol Also, I thought if I don't like Dallas after all, maybe I'd just move somewhere else. But after reading this thread it doesn't really sound like it's the city, per se, moreso people wanted to just get back to what they were familiar with?
Interesting post. I think you should try it if you are looking to improve your job prospects. It is tangible. Things become more complicated when you are searching for the intangibles of life.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
That's right!

I am moving in 2 weeks. I have never been to my new city. I don't really know anyone there. I have found a cute apartment online (extrememly well researched) and have a job interview lined up when I get there. Yet, I keep getting "Do you have family there? No? Wow, you are BRAVE!" (usually followed by "I am jealous!")

I don't think being brave has anything to do with it. I just am ready to make a change and now is the time. If I fail...on to the next thing!
Wow! That is amazing. I got the same remarks when I gladly gave up a good paying job to relocate alone without a job to a place where I knew no one. I visited the place twice. I have to give it to you going to a place site unseen. Good luck!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,389 times
i moved from philly to minneapolis 3 years ago because of my job. now i recently asked him if i could move back. one of my other co workers who moved back already did. i love everything about minnesota. but it's hard being away from family. and going home just twice a year is pretty lame. and anyone who flies knows that with kids flying is not cheap. i want my daughter to see her extended family and not just mom and dad and siblings. skype is cool but i miss that person to person. my only issue is i dont know how long the office back in pa will remain open. and nobody can tell me that. i have a family. i cant afford to move back and forth

Last edited by daboywonder2002; 11-27-2013 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues