Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 PM

229 posts, read 468,760 times

Advertisements

So what?
Boston is smaller than Houston but if i had the choice to visit one of these two cities i would choose Boston right away and never think twice about choosing Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

I'd love to be able to say Houston is the 3rd largest US city & Chicago is 4th though!
If that's what's necessary to make you feel better about Houston...

I don't see D/FW passing metro Chicago anytime soon.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM

23,457 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
San Antonio Austin Corridor, New Orleans will become a boom town; Raleigh/Durham and Houston will just boom.
Agree with you on all but New Orleans; its been hemorraging population for decades. I was curious as to what you think the catalyst will be to effect such a turnaround.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Yeah, there's alot of growth. New Orleans growing faster it could oneday connect to Baton Rouge. The Austin/ San Antonio corridor already has more than half the Bay Area population with 4.2 million and Raleigh/ Durham will continue to grow as well. I can see the Research Trianlge doubling it population within 40- 50 yrs.

there is like 30 miles of basically undeveloped land between them they are very far from having anywhere near the continuity of the Bay, they are night and day.

NYC and Philly are about the same distance, difference is that about 6-8 million live in the space in between them not including the cities. I agree these places are growing but they are 50 years from being considered one if ever

Maybe we have different perspectives on developed continuity but I would suggest this is not it

austin tx - Google Maps

Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post
Even if it were passed up, it would still be a stronghold in the region. What other cities are there in the midwest that can hold a candle to Chicago? Detroit? Pfft, nope. Cleveland? Haha. Minneapolis? Not anytime in the near future.

I don't think it will matter much. You are seeing huge population shifts primarily due to the economy. People are going where the jobs are. I wouldn't be surprised if you see several cities change places in line. Phoenix comes to mind. I think it will drop significantly. I see Denver growing rapidly over the next 5-10 years, which will likely put it up in the top-10 US cities, as far as population goes.

Rapidly growing cities to watch: (not in any particular order)

Denver
Houston
Dallas
San Fran/Oakland
Austin
San Antonio
San Jose
San Diego
Nashville
Las Vegas
Jacksonville, FL
Grand Rapids, MI
Royal Oak, MI
Boston
Don't let Jacksonville fool you. It's not a big city. lol.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:21 PM

114 posts, read 200,578 times
Seriously look Houston sure it's the biggest city from population but the truth is that Dallas is Leading Texas in Economic growth and they have the most businesses, Dallas Ft Worth will pass Chicago 100% if we grow at astray rate who cares what everyone says that We aren't big enought that our skyline is horrible who cares we are growing fast and will soon approach Chicago, Sure Houston will still be the 4th biggest city but DFW will still pass Chicago faster than Houston, and it's even predicted that Ft Worth will reach Dallas by 2030 so that just proves how fast the cities are growing, and people from Houston can't say that we have nothing fun if y'all never been here and we can't say that to y'all unless we Have been there, And Dallas has a bigger Skylone than Houston and they have more businesses, and DFW has 3 of the top 50 cities in USA(Arlington, Dallas, Fort Worth) Houston also has a metro and there the only major city in it, so yes DFW can pass Chicago fast and so can Houston but it will take Houston a long time to reach the size of Chicago.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:42 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
In the 1950's they were predicting that LA would eventually surpass NYC in population. We see how that panned out...

Old 07-06-2012, 08:31 PM

814 posts, read 1,474,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Agree with you on all but New Orleans; its been hemorraging population for decades. I was curious as to what you think the catalyst will be to effect such a turnaround.
Actually New Orleans was the fastest growing city in the country from April 2010 to July 2011 by percentage (according to the U.S. census). The city supposedly added 17,000 people.

Big Cities on the Rise - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 07-06-2012 at 08:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 07:31 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
San Francisco:
13th largest city in the United States
4th largest city in California
2nd largest city in the Bay Area

Does San Francisco care? Does San Francisco worry? Does San Francisco desperately want to change its spot in the pecking order. You can bet your golden gate it doesn't.

That's the beauty of things: when you're San Francisco or Chicago, you don't need to give a rat's a** what your population is or to worry about the games people play when you they rank you. or even what you think of them.

And there is another thing that is great about being a San Francsican or a Chicagoan: you are so secure with what your city has that you can thoroughly enjoy the other. Chicagoans are secure and free to love San Francisco for the great city that it is and San Franciscans are secure in their city so they can enjoy the greatness of Chicago. Nobody's threatened.

Places like San Francisco and Chicago are, well, just plain happy to be San Francisco and Chicago.

I'm a Chicagoan. Love my city. LA passed us up in population years ago. Does that bother me? Heck no. LA is great, a fabulous city. Love the place;it has a vibe all its own,nothing like it....and am not one big threatened by it. New York is bigger than Chicago; always will be. Does that make me fear NY? No. I'll go along with the notion of "I love NY". Why not? we're not in competition. Just two great cities. If New York fell from its #1 rank, it would still be New York. Who knows? Someday it might. no population rank stays for ever.

And for all you tax phones out there, I'm perfectly happy tax rates are higher in Chicago than in places where they don't care about the commons. Tax money wisely spent is an investment. It's what cities do to improve their quality of life.

as for most of this discussion, you may want to consider what global climate change is doing to the world and that all bets are off for the future. Meanwhile in places like China, they're not having sophomoric battles over which city is the biggest and greatest....they're pulling together as a nation and cleaning our clock.

Last edited by edsg25; 07-08-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
San Francisco:
13th largest city in the United States
4th largest city in California
2nd largest city in the Bay Area

Does San Francisco care? Does San Francisco worry? Does San Francisco desperately want to change its spot in the pecking order. You can bet your golden gate it doesn't.

That's the beauty of things: when you're San Francisco or Chicago, you don't need to give a rat's a** what your population is or to worry about the games people play when you they rank you. or even what you think of them.

And there is another thing that is great about being a San Francsican or a Chicagoan: you are so secure with what your city has that you can thoroughly enjoy the other. Chicagoans are secure and free to love San Francisco for the great city that it is and San Franciscans are secure in their city so they can enjoy the greatness of Chicago. Nobody's threatened.

Places like San Francisco and Chicago are, well, just plain happy to be San Francisco and Chicago.

I'm a Chicagoan. Love my city. LA passed us up in population years ago. Does that bother me? Heck no. LA is great, a fabulous city. Love the place;it has a vibe all its own,nothing like it....and am not one big threatened by it. New York is bigger than Chicago; always will be. Does that make me fear NY? No. I'll go along with the notion of "I love NY". Why not? we're not in competition. Just two great cities. If New York fell from its #1 rank, it would still be New York. Who knows? Someday it might. no population rank stays for ever.

And for all you tax phones out there, I'm perfectly happy tax rates are higher in Chicago than in places where they don't care about the commons. Tax money wisely spent is an investment. It's what cities do to improve their quality of life.

as for most of this discussion, you may want to consider what global climate change is doing to the world and that all bets are off for the future. Meanwhile in places like China, they're not having sophomoric battles over which city is the biggest and greatest....they're pulling together as a nation and cleaning our clock.
Damn right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.