Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 08:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What does Houston offer a new resident? Name ten religious components? Who are the major employers in Houston? How many restaurants do you have? Where can I find Irish bacon, English butter, and a cup of liver dumpling soup for me? My wife wants Matzo. My wife is a Conservative Jew; I'm Unitarian; I don't embrace AME. Where can I find a Conservative Congregation and school for our children? I'm moving my business to Houston. I want to buy a hosue in $750K range although I could spend up to $1.5M. As a mixed race family where can we live that is safe and not hostile?

Dallas has DART. Does Houston have something similar? The Dallas Market is very similar to the Chicago Merchandie Mart. What does Houston offer buyers that is similar? Everyone knows about Dr. Red Duke, MD. What other hospitals are in Houston? None are ranked in the TOP 17 Hospitals in America by US News and World Report. However the Houston Children's Hospital is ranked 11 out of 11 children's hospitals. .
Really? I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

If you are, you don't seem too familiar with Houston.

Start with number of foreign consulates, and rankings on "best restaurant cities" lists. Number of Fortune 500 companies. Number of millionaires. How many real Chinatowns does Dallas have?
You mention hospitals... you forget M. D. Anderson, of all places. The Texas Medical Center is nearly larger than downtown Dallas and the largest employer in Houston, and its strongest institutions are specialty and research... not general hospitals, which is why you don't see more in top hospital lists.
I don't mean to knock Dallas, but your comparison of it to Houston doesn't seem too educated (on the Houston portion.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:30 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Can't forget about the light rail expansion going on in Houston.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,855,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Don't let Jacksonville fool you. It's not a big city. lol.
Except in land area.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Random thoughts:

1. If Family A has a husband, wife, and 8 kids (10 people) and Family B has a husband, wife, and 2 kids (4 people), by the logic I've seen on this thread, shouldn't Family A be 2.5 better and more important than Family B?

2. Chicago doesn't even make the list of the world's 50 largest cities, yet its economic status "alpha", a rather select group. If Chicago isn't among the 50 largest global cities, why would it care if were to fall from 3rd to 4th among US cities? is the US a concept that is as relevant as it was 50 years ago?

3 Or the reverse? What would have happened if the San Fernando Valley had been successful in seceding from LA and Chicago overtook it to return to the #2 population ranking? Would that have had any real effect on LA? On Chicago? Do you seriously think Chicagoans would have cheered if this had happened?

4. New York is the 19th biggest city in the world. Among cities that are bigger are Karachi, Mumbai, Dhaka, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Bangalore, and Dongguan. Are these cities more important than New York?

5. Merely one century ago, NYC was no where among the world's greatest cities. That's practically like....well...yesterday. So does anyone really know what will be "the greatest city in the world?" 100 years from now? or even 50? Haven't our time intervals shrunk enormously? Can anyplace really stay "on top" very long? Or does "on top" even exist.....is there really a hierarchy for cities (and, if so, does USN&WR get to make the list?)?

6. And didn't the rise of New York coincide with the rise of the United States? Wasn't the 20th century "The American Century"? And, if so, with US influence waning, isn't it very possible that all US cities will suffer in their relationship with cities in more rising parts of the world? Aren't all US cities in same boat, the American boat, and hasn't that boat sprung a leak?

7. Isn't it really not about "high taxes" or "low taxes" but more about the right amount of taxes? Today we are living in an era where low taxation is an incentive for business to come to one's cities. Low tax cities seem to have an edge? But do they? taxation is necessary; taxes spent right raise quality of life and everyone is enriched by it. Couldn't low tax sunbelt cities be creating a monster for themselves by not taxing themselves sufficiently? Couldn't cities like Chicago look better in the future because they do?

8. Does the proximity of the Great Lakes and its role as the most important Great Lakes city suggest a very successful future for Chicago in regards to other cities? Water being the most important commodity in the world and today threatened and found in smaller and smaller usable amounts?

9. Why are we still comparing cities within the US when we are part of a global world? Why are Chicago and Houston in competition? Culturally and how they function, Chicago has far more in common with Canada's Toronto than the US's Houston. Isn't Toronto a more likely rival for Chicago?

10. The global economy is in free fall and cannot last; it is archaic and no longer can meet needs. It has no relationship with the resources available. It is totally non-sustainable. So why do we go on threads like this one and assume that this economy will continue and will follow the trajectory set in motion years ago when that seems not highly unlikely, but impossible? Does anyone think that global climate change will not destroy all our projections? Can we have endless supply for endless demand? Can we have eternal growth? Should we?

11. If population is so important, if you were either Chicago or Houston, would you like to import 3,000,000 people to your city all of which are uneducated and have no job skills....but they will prop up your population figures and do wonders for you place in the pecking order on this thread? what exactly do raw numbers do for a city....if anything? and isn't it possible that those very raw numberers well can fall into the category of "too big".

12. Why is it that we talk about cities here as if they have a life of their own, divorced from the people who have to live there and have to deal with the quality of life? It seems to me that our discussions of cities are as if they are non-organic, not made up of people, but their own entities....they have "greatness" measured by what they have, not how it can be enjoyed or benefit its people?

13. Isn't it kind of sick that we use population and economic prowess to determine the worth of cities? wouldn't much of the rest of the world think this was insane?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:14 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Random thoughts:

1. If Family A has a husband, wife, and 8 kids (10 people) and Family B has a husband, wife, and 2 kids (4 people), by the logic I've seen on this thread, shouldn't Family A be 2.5 better and more important than Family B?

2. Chicago doesn't even make the list of the world's 50 largest cities, yet its economic status "alpha", a rather select group. If Chicago isn't among the 50 largest global cities, why would it care if were to fall from 3rd to 4th among US cities? is the US a concept that is as relevant as it was 50 years ago?

3 Or the reverse? What would have happened if the San Fernando Valley had been successful in seceding from LA and Chicago overtook it to return to the #2 population ranking? Would that have had any real effect on LA? On Chicago? Do you seriously think Chicagoans would have cheered if this had happened?

4. New York is the 19th biggest city in the world. Among cities that are bigger are Karachi, Mumbai, Dhaka, Tianjin, Guangzhou, Bangalore, and Dongguan. Are these cities more important than New York?

5. Merely one century ago, NYC was no where among the world's greatest cities. That's practically like....well...yesterday. So does anyone really know what will be "the greatest city in the world?" 100 years from now? or even 50? Haven't our time intervals shrunk enormously? Can anyplace really stay "on top" very long? Or does "on top" even exist.....is there really a hierarchy for cities (and, if so, does USN&WR get to make the list?)?

6. And didn't the rise of New York coincide with the rise of the United States? Wasn't the 20th century "The American Century"? And, if so, with US influence waning, isn't it very possible that all US cities will suffer in their relationship with cities in more rising parts of the world? Aren't all US cities in same boat, the American boat, and hasn't that boat sprung a leak?

7. Isn't it really not about "high taxes" or "low taxes" but more about the right amount of taxes? Today we are living in an era where low taxation is an incentive for business to come to one's cities. Low tax cities seem to have an edge? But do they? taxation is necessary; taxes spent right raise quality of life and everyone is enriched by it. Couldn't low tax sunbelt cities be creating a monster for themselves by not taxing themselves sufficiently? Couldn't cities like Chicago look better in the future because they do?

8. Does the proximity of the Great Lakes and its role as the most important Great Lakes city suggest a very successful future for Chicago in regards to other cities? Water being the most important commodity in the world and today threatened and found in smaller and smaller usable amounts?

9. Why are we still comparing cities within the US when we are part of a global world? Why are Chicago and Houston in competition? Culturally and how they function, Chicago has far more in common with Canada's Toronto than the US's Houston. Isn't Toronto a more likely rival for Chicago?

10. The global economy is in free fall and cannot last; it is archaic and no longer can meet needs. It has no relationship with the resources available. It is totally non-sustainable. So why do we go on threads like this one and assume that this economy will continue and will follow the trajectory set in motion years ago when that seems not highly unlikely, but impossible? Does anyone think that global climate change will not destroy all our projections? Can we have endless supply for endless demand? Can we have eternal growth? Should we?

11. If population is so important, if you were either Chicago or Houston, would you like to import 3,000,000 people to your city all of which are uneducated and have no job skills....but they will prop up your population figures and do wonders for you place in the pecking order on this thread? what exactly do raw numbers do for a city....if anything? and isn't it possible that those very raw numberers well can fall into the category of "too big".

12. Why is it that we talk about cities here as if they have a life of their own, divorced from the people who have to live there and have to deal with the quality of life? It seems to me that our discussions of cities are as if they are non-organic, not made up of people, but their own entities....they have "greatness" measured by what they have, not how it can be enjoyed or benefit its people?

13. Isn't it kind of sick that we use population and economic prowess to determine the worth of cities? wouldn't much of the rest of the world think this was insane?

This is why I live in Austin not Houston or Dallas!!!

We have quality of life in Austin, unmatched anywhere else. Who cares how many 10 lane freeways you have. We'll take highly educated people (Austin has amongst the highest percentage of people with Masters or above in the country), great scenery, lost cost of living, and wonderful BBQ and TexMex over any alpha city anyday...

Old 07-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This is why I live in Austin not Houston or Dallas!!!

We have quality of life in Austin, unmatched anywhere else. Who cares how many 10 lane freeways you have. We'll take highly educated people (Austin has amongst the highest percentage of people with Masters or above in the country), great scenery, lost cost of living, and wonderful BBQ and TexMex over any alpha city anyday...
hook 'em, horns. you can't beat a terrific college town and state capital (cBach, you'd probably love another city of that quality with the state u. and the capital, here in the Chicago neck of the woods: Madison.)

Old 07-11-2012, 07:48 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINresident View Post
If the fast growing metros of the south (Dallas, Houston) continue to grow at the rates they do, it likely that Chicago will be passed as the number 3 metro, whether that be in 2030, 2050, or even 2070.

What would the impact be? I doubt Chicago residents would simply stand up and leave their city when/if it is passed.

But, will it remain a financial stronghold?
What would the psychological impact of it losing the number three spot be? It's hard for me to think of it being passed by a Houston or a Dallas. I've always known the top three cities in the US and the order: NY, LA, CHI but didn't know or cared who was 4 or 5 until recently.

Thoughts?
Well, since not everyone in Chicago thinks like a pre-teen, I'm sure they won't care.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Random thoughts:

edsg25--I like your random thoughts.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
edsg25--I like your random thoughts.
thanks, BigLake. At this point in the insanity of it all, they are the only type I have.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Well, since not everyone in Chicago thinks like a pre-teen, I'm sure they won't care.
sorry, you're wrong. actually, everyone does. we are planning a mass, self-imposed drowning in Lake Michigan when we're disgraced with our fall from 3rd place (think of it like Moses marching the Israelites through the Red Sea, but in our case, the waters won't open). more than a century's worth of Cub futility and the fall from grace (place) is enough to do us in. The last straw was when Mayor Richard Daley VI counted the dead at our cemeteries as part of population to up the numbers and keep us in 3rd place, but the scam was uncovered. He should have just left it alone by letting them vote, but not counting them as people.

and then came the final degradation: being edged out by Houston style pizza and Dallas hot dogs. Where is Mrs. O'Leary when we need her the most?

actually we are a rather delusional crew here in Chicago: imagine a city crazy enough to cheer, "We're #3"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.