Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Waffle Houses in NJ and NY would do very well. Most things originating in the South (food-wise) seem to do well up here. Look at the number of Chick-fil-As that have popped up in Jersey. I have no idea why there aren't more Krispy Kremes considering that it's one of the most delicious things on earth. Once they bring Waffle House and Cook Out to the Tri-State region, it's a wrap. Maybe the diners don't want the competition.
Hey, I am happy that Cracker Barrel appeared in the northeast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK, OK calm down everyone.

I'm southern born and bred, but I've traveled all over the place and now live in Texas (which I consider southern but it's not the deep South). My husband was raised here in East Texas and he had never had grits before he met me. Grits are on the menus here in Texas but what will usually come "automatically" with your breakfast is hash browns - you usually have to ask for grits. In many southern diners, grits are the "default" and you have to ask for hash browns. Grits just aren't as common here in Texas as they are in the other southern states.

It's the same in Pennsylvania - you can GET grits but they're not the "default" menu item. The further I get from the southern states, the more unusual grits are.

Sad, but true.

Love me some grits!
I think they're like chitlins in that you have to grow up eating them to like them, otherwise you just want to spit them out, lol. I've tried grits but they have no taste that I can discern and the texture is unpleasant to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:57 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What if I've had the opportunity to have grits (which I have) and have had no desire to try them (which I have)? Still "need to get out more" because I personally have no desire to try something much more popular in a different region of the country? Grits are available here, but they're not popular, nor are they a big deal... neither is Waffle House seeing as we don't even have them in my state or a neighboring state (New York). I do wonder if they'll try to expand here, though. If they really wanted to, I imagine they would have already.
Idk, it's interesting you've never been curious to try them. I love food so I'll try almost anything at least once, including grits. IMO, they're nothing to write home about, but not bad for a filler (I grew up down south but would be fine if I never saw a grit again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Yep. Good grits are a gift from God.
But really though? Lol.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
What if I've had the opportunity to have grits (which I have) and have had no desire to try them (which I have)? Still "need to get out more" because I personally have no desire to try something much more popular in a different region of the country? Grits are available here, but they're not popular, nor are they a big deal... neither is Waffle House seeing as we don't even have them in my state or a neighboring state (New York). I do wonder if they'll try to expand here, though. If they really wanted to, I imagine they would have already.
You're missing out on one of the greatest foods on the face of the planet, which a simple Google search shows is VERY popular and VERY easily found throughout New Jersey!

Ace of Spades HQ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnle...go/7167197473/

Shrimp and grits - New Jersey - Chowhound

Brunch Eggs and Grits - Picture of Montclair, New Jersey - TripAdvisor

Best Shrimp And Grits in New Jersey, NJ

Café 72 Ewing New Jersey - Breakfast Menu - Eat in, Take out, Delivery, Catering.

Shrimp and grits New York, NY

Shrimp And Grits Restaurants in Jersey City, New Jersey with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

NJM Recipe Box: Low Country Shrimp and Grits

https://www.facebook.com/ThomasenasTakeout

https://foursquare.com/jimmykastner/...-jersey-diners

Old 07-30-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, I am happy that Cracker Barrel appeared in the northeast!
Indeed. According to their website, there are 6 (six) Cracker Barrel's in New Jersey, 9 (nine) in New York, 4 (four) in Massachusetts, 2 (two) in Connecticut, 1 each in Delaware, Maine, New Hampshire and Rhode Island, and 23 (twenty-three) in Pennsylvania -- and every one of them features southern-style breakfasts, including grits, on the menu.

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-31-2014 at 01:07 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Waffle House is gross!

Complete grease-hole and truck-stop-feeling.

Went to one in Tampa just for the sake of it and could feel the grease! Placed my order to-go and made a quick run out!

Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've tried grits but they have no taste that I can discern and the texture is unpleasant to me.
Poor thing.
You have to put a LOT of butter and a LOT of salt on them.
And they shouldn't be cooked to death. Too many restaurants do that.
Have you had polenta? Pretty much the same thing.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Poor thing.
You have to put a LOT of butter and a LOT of salt on them.
And they shouldn't be cooked to death. Too many restaurants do that.
Have you had polenta? Pretty much the same thing.
Yep! Grits = polenta

Old 07-31-2014, 12:41 AM

FROM WIKIPEDIA:

The state of Georgia declared grits its official prepared food in 2002.[4] Similar bills have been introduced in South Carolina, with one declaring:

Whereas, throughout its history, the South has relished its grits, making them a symbol of its diet, its customs, its humor, and its hospitality, and whereas, every community in the State of South Carolina used to be the site of a grits mill and every local economy in the State used to be dependent on its product; and whereas, grits has been a part of the life of every South Carolinian of whatever race, background, gender, and income; and whereas, grits could very well play a vital role in the future of not only this State, but also the world, if as Charleston's The Post and Courier proclaimed in 1952, "An inexpensive, simple, and thoroughly digestible food, [grits] should be made popular throughout the world. Given enough of it, the inhabitants of planet Earth would have nothing to fight about. A man full of [grits] is a man of peace."[5]

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-31-2014 at 01:09 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 01:27 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
There are no Waffle House locations in Alaska, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin or Wyoming.
Well there are two Waffle Cabins in Massachusetts, four in New Hampshire, and eight in Vermont.

Soooo........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.